• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E (IC) Vault of the Dracolich (River Gang)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: Nope. It's fast and a bit exciting - and pitch black. Can she see? I seem to recall she can't.

Aquaria swims fast and free. Even without being able to see she can anticipate the twists and turns of the tunnel by the flow of the water. Overcome with joy by the sensation, she feels no fear as the bottom of the tunnel drops out - she leaps free of the water and dives deep into the underground lake she is certain she will find there - and does.

She surfaces, and she can hear the echoes around her of a large chamber, and the water at the bottom of the falls pushes her gently away from it.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Udit groans and says "I hope she has a way to get word to us, otherwise this won't be much of a scouting effort... I'll go get the boats ready just in case".

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: I'd like to move on, so at the risk of making them even more powerful than they already are, for story reasons, I'm going to say that Aquaria and Auraia can sense each other's emotions. I alluded to it earlier, and I'm going to stick with it. Also, I've given it a lot of thought and I'm going to reverse my previous ruling on Tool Profs stacking with skills. The worst that can happen is they work like Expertise, and actually make a point of a character being proficient in Athletics AND Water-vehicles when it comes to paddling. (Not to mention Performance and Musical Instruments, which has annoyed me for awhile). So YES, stack your tool proficiency (other than Thieve's Tools, which are good enough already) with applicable skills in the future.

A few moments after her sister disappears into the stream, Auraia can feel that she is safe and content. Happy even.

OOC: You can still chose to take the tunnel ledge path if you like, or get in the boats, as you prefer. Udit is confident that if it's only a 15-foot drop, these Kayaks will survive it if you can keep them upright. You'd probably get wet, but you shouldn't drown. If he doesn't like that idea, the ledge would be safe enough, if slippery. At least as much chance of getting wet. I don't care what you do, but move along, please!

tglassy

Adventurer
OOC: Mystics can communicate telepathically up to 120 feet. Usually, they have to see them, though.

It took a few minutes of swimming in the comforting water before Aquaria realized she needed to contact the others.

Everything's fine, sister. It is a little dark, though, Aquaria sent to her sister, telepathically.

"She's fine," Auraia said to the others. "Let's get going."

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: Mystics can communicate telepathically up to 120 feet. Usually, they have to see them, though.

OOC: I saw that. I'd like to stick with that limitation for Telepathy.
My idea is that they can Sense Emotion from each other, further than that, and without having to see them.
Just for fun, let's make it something the boys CAN'T do.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Udit lets out a heavy breath "Oh praise the beetle! I was getting worried there. Ok, let's get those boats ready! I think I can manage this solo, you two can take the other boat... Draco, can you do the flying torch trick you mentioned? That would be super useful"

Udit preps the 2 kayaks as well as he can, and then sets off once the torch is in position.

eayres33

Explorer
Drako thinks for a moment, “Yes I can do a flying torch, but it is easier if I don’t have to paddle as well. If Kurzon can manage the raft himself I can light the way for all of us.”

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: Auraia still needs to take the kayak with Udit, so I'm going to roll with that. Drako plans to hold a torch with mage hand, right?

The four adventurers of the River Gang return to their Kayaks. The tunnel twists back and forth and drops suddenly a few times. As head-room becomes available, Drako sends the torch ahead, illuminating the waterfall in time for Kurzon and Udit to be able to see as they attempt to keep the kayaks upright as they go over the falls.

GM: Kurzon and Udit should roll athletics (remember Udit can stack his Water-Vehicle proficiency) against a DC12. If either of you fail, everyone in that boat (Udit & Auraia) and (Kurzon & Drako) must roll DC12 Dex Saves or the kayak rolls over the falls - and you fall out. If you roll a 7 or less on that Dex Save, you are pushed down by the waterfall and take [roll0] damage on the rocks at the bottom, and must make a DC12 Athletics to swim back to the surface, otherwise, you take a level of exhaustion (near drowning) before Aquaria manages to rescue you.

If all goes well, the Kayak digs it's nose under as it hits the bottom of the falls, but bobs back up immediately, and only your lap (and some gear) get wet. However it works out, past the pool under the waterfall, the tunnel widens into a lake-filled cavern stretching out beyond the torchlight. (A map will follow)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Location Underground Lake, 1 Hour 50 Minutes to Nightfall

GM: The yellow circle marks the bright light; the grey the dim light cast by the torch (outside that no one can see at all, but I expect that you will start paddling around, or get a better light source.) I can't seem to get my gridlines to show over the map, for some reason, but the gridmarks are done in 10 foot squares, if it seems important. Where would you like to go?

lake.png

Remove ads