ICv2 Reports On RPGs Growth This Year

ICv2 has published its latest quarterly hobby channel game rankings for Spring 2022. The Top 5 contains D&D twice (once from WotC, and once from third parties Goodman Games and Darrington Press/Critical Role), along with two licensed Hasbro (owner of WotC) properties, plus Pathfinder. "RPGs are the story of the year so far," a hobby distributor told ICv2. "D&D’s king by leaps and bounds...

ICv2 has published its latest quarterly hobby channel game rankings for Spring 2022. The Top 5 contains D&D twice (once from WotC, and once from third parties Goodman Games and Darrington Press/Critical Role), along with two licensed Hasbro (owner of WotC) properties, plus Pathfinder.

"RPGs are the story of the year so far," a hobby distributor told ICv2. "D&D’s king by leaps and bounds, don’t get me wrong, but the number of RPGs that were [significant contributors to] sales was 40 different brands."

AFDD50F7-33FA-4C4A-B12E-616950A20989.jpeg
The chart is based on interviews with retailers, distributors, and manufacturers. As always you can see the compiled chart going back to 2004 here.

Looks pretty much like a monopoly to me.

Not surprising that licenses such as Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings, Batman, all the licenses associated with Everyday Heroes and also Adventures in Rokugan are all heading the way of the 5E market. I honestly wonder what other game lines will follow suit? Shadowrun for 5E? Warhammer for 5E? Traveller for 5E? Runequest for 5E?

Still, things are all relative. While some companies might not be Top 5, they may still be selling well compared to their own company targets - and 40 different brands suggest a good diversity. The key thing for the hobby is that it is still growing.

That’s another reason why the Goodman Games licensed Original Adventures Reincarnated ought to be supported by WotC in the same way as their other storylines, by:
  1. Opening up those mini-settings (Isle of Dread, Castle Amber, Keep on the Borderlands, etc.) to community content creation on DMs Guild. Wouldn’t have to open up the whole world of Greyhawk or Mystara yet—just the local map.
  2. Listing them in the 5e Storyline sidebar at DMs Guild.
  3. Including their content on D&D Beyond.
Here’s a petition to sign: D&D 5E - Petition: Add Goodman Games' official "OAR" module series to Wizards' support platforms (D&D Beyond, DMs Guild Storylines & Content Creation)

I've been eyeballing the Tal'dorei book. I remember seeing the first print at BAM and regret not getting it. This one is supposedly updated and bigger.

Reynard

Legend
5e was always supposed to feed players to other RPGs. I guess it just had to get all the players first.
"Supposed to" is a weird way to say that. D&D, as the main entry point into the hobby, inevitably brings players to other games. Rising tides. Boats. That sort of thing. But I don't think that is a design goal of the game, and it certainly wouldn't be a particularly smart one if it were.

That's not what that word means.
"A monopoly is a market structure where a single seller or producer assumes a dominant position in an industry or a sector.” (Monopoly Definition)

Seems like it to me.

In the UK a firm is said to have monopoly power if it has more than 25% of the market share. I wouldn’t be surprised in D&D has double that right now. It isn’t a pure monopoly (100% market share) but it is a monopoly where they have control over the market.

Reynard

Legend
"A monopoly is a market structure where a single seller or producer assumes a dominant position in an industry or a sector.” (Monopoly Definition)

Seems like it to me.

In the UK a firm is said to have monopoly power if it has more than 25% of the market share. I wouldn’t be surprised in D&D has double that right now. It isn’t a pure monopoly (100% market share) but it is a monopoly where they have control over the market.
Emphasis mine. That's the important part. In order for it to be a monopoly it can't just be because it is the most popular thing. The structure of the market has to be such that nothing else can be. if WotC controlled all the distribution of TTRPGs, for example, then you might be able to start to build the case that D&D is a monopoly. As it is, it is simply the most popular product.

Emphasis mine. That's the important part. In order for it to be a monopoly it can't just be because it is the most popular thing. The structure of the market has to be such that nothing else can be. if WotC controlled all the distribution of TTRPGs, for example, then you might be able to start to build the case that D&D is a monopoly. As it is, it is simply the most popular product.
Put it this way, most retailers wouldn’t be selling any RPG right now without D&D establishing its market. Yes, it is a monopoly as defined.

Remove ads

Remove ads