D&D 5E Idea for Int

Einlanzer0

Explorer
It seems to be pretty commonly held that Int is a bit too much of a dump stat in 5e. I've spent time considering ways to make it more generally attractive without stepping on the toes of other attributes, making anything over- or under-powered, being too finicky, or resulting in too much bookkeeping.

What if your Int modifier was used to modify your effective level in determining your proficiency bonus? I.e. a 1st level character with an 18 Int would use the proficiency bonus of a 5th level character, or +3. For purposes of completing the chart, you can imagine anything below 1st to be a +1 or anything above 20th as being +7.

Thoughts?

Einlanzer0

Explorer
Connecting INT to an attack role seems odd.

I disagree. In essence, Intelligence is about knowledge, tactics, and quick thinking, which means that it basically benefits everything you do. The fact that it provides an advantage to basically everything is mitigated by the size of the advantage, roughly 1/4 the effect of something more specialized like Str or Dex.

In other words, Int is of particular benefit to versatile characters who do a variety of things.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
I wouldn't touch the proficiency.
I'd go with this, in the case I want to use int to represent in a heavier way your capability to learn, add +5% xp per +1 bonus. You could apply a max of 15% with a +3 on int.

Einlanzer0

Explorer
I wouldn't touch the proficiency.
I'd go with this, in the case I want to use int to represent in a heavier way your capability to learn, add +5% xp per +1 bonus. You could apply a max of 15% with a +3 on int.

In a lot of ways that makes more sense, but it has the problem of requiring actual calculations and bookkeeping.

Einlanzer0

Explorer
Doing that for languages and tools would be fine, I think.

The thing is, though, despite what a lot of people seem to think, I feel that Int should actually a play small-moderate direct role in combat, and not just in RP or skill encounters. Years ago I came up with a Tactics mechanic that involved rerolls and utilized Int, but it's a bit heavy for people who don't really like straying from the core rules.

n0nym

Explorer
If you touch Intelligence, you have to do it in a way that doesn't favor Wizards too much since it's obviously a free gift for them.

Your idea is good, but I would change Wizards' spellcasting ability then (make it Wisdom).

Additional tools / languages has always seemed to me the fairest modification though. My players disagreed unfortunately, so I decided to grant them +1 skill per Intelligence bonus point and moved Wizards spellcasting ability to Wisdom (and Cleric's to Charisma, but that's another topic).

WarpedAcorn

First Post
Doing that for languages and tools would be fine, I think.

I think this is the extent that Int should play a role outside of its current form. I also don't think its a dump stat, although I'm not sure that every DM is making players make knowledge or investigation checks to learn useful information as they should.

Remove ads