D&D 5E Idea that will most players will hate, but I think addresses a mechanical issue in game

So here's a screwy idea to break up caster supremacy a bit. Instead of class based caster stats, why not make it spell based instead. You could still have a SAD caster, but they'd be more limited in optimal spell selection, or you could have a MAD caster who has a broader arrangement of spell potential, but a less bonus when using some of them. If you really wanted to go all out, you could also have spells with ability score requirements the way some people talk about have prereqs for heavy armor and such.

So here's a screwy idea to break up caster supremacy a bit. Instead of class based caster stats, why not make it spell based instead. You could still have a SAD caster, but they'd be more limited in optimal spell selection, or you could have a MAD caster who has a broader arrangement of spell potential, but a less bonus when using some of them. If you really wanted to go all out, you could also have spells with ability score requirements the way some people talk about have prereqs for heavy armor and such.
I like this idea as well. Some combination of minimum level AND minimum ability to cast a spell. I can only begin to visualize the arguments about what spells qualify at what levels, but as you said, if armour and particular weapons require particular stat abilities, why not spells?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
That's a fun idea. However, only directly offensive spells (damage/debuff) are based on attributes at all. All utility, buffing, support, healing, and the like gain no modifiers based on ability scores. How would we want to incorporate those?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Whats so interesting about a sword that does more math? Wouldn't magic items be better if they did cool things instead of hit better?
I'm so picturing an intelligent sword shouting out the statistically optimal attacks and maneuvers in every situation... that would be some useful extra math!

ECMO3

Hero
Over the years I have seen I have no idea how many arguments about Dex being the god stat. I don't disagree.
There are also umpteen arguments about stats/abilities/what not tied to Str or Dex.

I propose something, that will infuriate most players, for all kinds of reasons.

Some weapon attacks require both a modicum of Strength AND Dexterity. In the real world, a top swordsman (not talking fencers), or archer, needs both.
So what happens if I said to my players:

"OK, when you use your Long Bow, you use your Dex and Prof to Hit, but you add (or subtract) your Str modifier for damage."
This concept can be applied to a myriad of the published weapons, though not all.
Anybody who has wielded a sledgehammer in the real world, or tried splitting wood, understands it not all about Strength.

Now, the cons to such an idea are not limited to the following:
1. More complexity for the players and DM, and we know that new age players hate complexity.
2. Dex, or Str, is no longer a dump stat, which will irritate most martial class players.
3. Martial class chars are taking the hit, while this has no impact on casters.

But...this is far more realistic, and the arguments about creating optimized chars loses some of its value.
Does this also mean that the base damage value of martial weapons has to be altered, to compensate for the inherent nerf to martial chars? Yes.
There are multiple cascade effects.
I think casters are already more powerful than martials and this further nerfs martials.

If you want to eliminate dump stats the rules already support the best solution - make players roll stats.

If you want to eiminate even characters who would move their rolls then make them roll strength first, what you get is what you have in strength, roll dex next, roll con next .....

Then you would have no dump stats.

This would be a FAR, FAR better solution IMO.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I'm so picturing an intelligent sword shouting out the statistically optimal attacks and maneuvers in every situation... that would be some useful extra math!
"Why couldn't I have found a user that optimized their str stat!?"

That's a fun idea. However, only directly offensive spells (damage/debuff) are based on attributes at all. All utility, buffing, support, healing, and the like gain no modifiers based on ability scores. How would we want to incorporate those?
You could either go the prereq route or recalculate the math of any applicable spells to incorporate bonuses.

Now I want an intelligent sword that acts as the 4E warlord class. "Hey jerkwad! Who told you you could lay down and die? I'll have no layabouts on my watch! Up and at 'em, up an at 'em!"

Now I want an intelligent sword that acts as the 4E warlord class. "Hey jerkwad! Who told you you could lay down and die? I'll have no layabouts on my watch! Up and at 'em, up an at 'em!"
I have in the past given a dagger to the group. It was actually an artifact, though they did not have the knowledge to unlock all its powers. BUT, it was sentient, it was opinionated, AND the player did have to roll a Wisdom vs the weapon's CHA whenever the group went into combat, as the weapon always wanted to be used, and would charge forward.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases