If an NPC is telling the truth, what's the Insight DC to know they're telling the truth?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Kinda like how your claims that your games are not slowed down by your playstyle shows only that YOUR GAMES are not slowed down by the playstyle? That claims that your play style will not ever result in slow downs so long as the DM becomes proficient in the style are somehow universal, but, pointing out examples in this thread don't mean that many DM's are not game designers and have a poor grasp of risk/benefit calculations?

Yeah, I'm going to take a page from [MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION] on this one. Anyone who insists on the perfection of their game, (even your treasure chests are a testament to the wonder of your game) is just not going to make any sort of discussion meaningful.

You do you. I'll do me. We'll both be happy.

The speed of the game has very little to do with the aspect you're criticizing and, as I've already said, far more to do with player readiness. Which, interestingly enough, is in part improved by rewarding the players for being attentive via telegraphing.

I don't insist that my playstyle is perfect. It's just an excellent fit for D&D 5e because the approach is molded to the rules of the game itself rather than, say, playing the game as if it was some other game.

I do, however, insist that your specific criticisms are unfounded and mostly aimed at a degenerate form of play that is not being employed by the posters with whom you are engaging. If you'd like to rail against that form of play, please do because it does sound awful. Just don't ascribe it to anyone who's posting here, okay?

Hussar

Legend
Immaculata said:
So does this entire argument just revolve around you using houserules?

Yup. I stated this before. A couple of times I believe. I'm only talking about my own personal games and I'm in no way trying to convince anyone that my preferred way of play is somehow superior.

So... To me, based on the description of what Insight allows you to do, a successful check can tell you not only if the person you're talking to is lying or telling the truth, but what their true intentions are, i.e. why they are lying or telling the truth. So, the interaction might be something like the following...

Player: Can I tell if this guy is telling the truth?
DM: Maybe. Make an Insight check.
Player: *result*
DM: <on success, and truth> The answers seem sincere and forthright. This weary citizen just wants the problem solved.
DM: <on success, and lies> The answers do not match up with known facts. Your interviewee is acting for someone else's benefit.
DM: <on failure, and truth> The answers seem incongruous. Your questions have put this commoner on edge.
DM: <on failure, and lies> The answers don't contradict anything you already know. This local wants the day to be over.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
-And not just 5th edition. I feel your playstyle makes 3rd edition a lot better when applied to it as well.

To be fair and so as not to take credit, it's not really "my playstyle." I'm just doing what the rules say to do. "My playstyle" is mostly to drink Irish whiskey and make up silly NPC names and ridiculous premises (stay tuned for one on Monday).

I'd have to read the D&D 3e rules again to distill out of there what approach best works with the rules. I imagine it's largely similar except that the mechanics are more "forward" on the player side. I played the game for 8 years, but back then I was doing what many DMs do - playing how I think D&D is played regardless of what approaches the rules of that edition by their design support. I learned my lesson the hard way when I switched to D&D 4e and found the game was not working as well is it could be. That's when I had the epiphany that I should be adapting my approaches to support the rules of the game, not using the same approach regardless of the game. (Learning Dungeon World helped a lot with this too.)

Chaosmancer

Legend
Posting a few different thoughts from a long reading of this thread.

The question really is should insight be better than the 2nd level spell ZoT? That is subject more to DM interpretation. Also the DC is set by the DM, so a DC 30 for a stranger aligns with the general rule for Insight.

I'm curious, does anyone take Insight as a skill in your games?

I've got a friend who I play with, sometimes he GM's and he also does not allow Insight checks to decide if strangers are lying to us. He says it is unrealistic because we don't know these people well enough to know that.

I never take Insight when he is GMing, because it becomes a useless skill. We are traveling mercenaries who are rarely in the same town twice, let alone spending multiple weeks or months getting to know people in said towns. When the merchant says a bad crop means prices went up, is he gouging the newcomers to town or is this a plot hook? Sure, I can find out by asking around town, after I lose the extra 20 gold they charged us. This guy says he knows a secret way into the castle, is this a trap where 45 of the Dark Lord's guards are going to ambush us or the DM giving us a way in so we can continue the adventure?

Yes, in real-life I'd have to use my best judgement, but the game gives us an ability to see through deception. IT's why when we try to lie to the guards, we need to roll to see if they believe us. Otherwise, how could this guard know that the signet I'm showing him doesn't belong to Archduke Archibald and I'm his agent traveling in disguise with a message for the Lady. I'm lying through my teeth, we stole this ring five sessions ago from the guy's manor, but I need to roll so the guard doesn't know I'm lying. By the same token, I should have the ability to know whether or not these shady folk saying they've come to help us are lying or not.

Yes, I'd have to say you broadly misunderstand the playstyle. Firstly, I wouldn't adjudicate that statement at all. It's not the player's position to suggest mechanics, but the DM's. It's the player's prerogative to declare actions, and "make an Insight check" is not an action. I prefer clear goal and approach, so I can fairly adjudicate the action. I'll touch on this more in a moment.

A) there's a lack of an action declaration involving a goal and approach. I have a goal, but how are they doing this? Insight is a mechanic, not an action. This can be as simple as "I observe them for signs of lying" to more complicated, or even well off the insight path such as, "I yell at him I think he's lying and he better start telling me the truth!" prompted an Intimidate check.

B) there's a lack of fictional positioning to the example to allow me to successfully adjudicate what's at stake. Is the person the player's are questioning going to help the players? If so, then a failed check may result in them becoming angry at being questioned and withdrawing their assistance. ("I see you don't believe me. Fine, I shall take my business elsewhere.") Perhaps the players are risking loss of face because this is a prominent personage and they're in public? ("<GASP> [PC NAME] just insulted the Baron's son by suggesting he's lying!"} Or, maybe, this person is a run of the mill merchant and nothing is at stake, in which case, sure, I just narrate a success so we can move to more interesting scenes (and I make a note to not frame scenes lacking importance). But, there's none of this in the example, so I can't say.

For 90% of skills, I have no problem with this approach. If you are trying to lie to get into the palace, I need to know some form of the lie you are trying to sell so I know how the guard responds.

But, for insight... is there any other path than "I look for body language clues that they are lying."?

I mean, if I'm going to declare someone is lying to me... I'm going to declare that, not use that declaration to figure out if they are lying. If I'm going to ask more questions to see if their story holds up and or if they contradict themselves, that's what I'm going to do. If I'm asking for insight, I want to know what my character's gut and observation skills are gleaning off of this individual.

In this one skill, I really don't see how I could ask a player to give me more information, asking for the Insight tells me exactly what action they are taking because it is a sum of observations, not a multi-choice approach. At least, as long as I don't have super senses that can smell or hear a lie, like some super heroes I've heard of.

i.e. They are searching an empty room (I have nothing planned), the player is eager to roll, I let them roll. They succeed, they find nothing, should they fail I inject a complication - As they examine the impeccably smooth wall slabs, a myriad incorporeal hands reach out from the wall in an attempt to touch the investigating PCs, the veil of illusion drops as the wall reveals itself to be a writhing mass of incorporeal undead all seemingly bounded uncomfortably together in haphazard fashion....

One thing I want to add to this, sometimes when my players ask to roll for something and I didn't have something planned, if they roll really well I'll give them something extra.

Just recently a player wanted to loot a room in a castle, it was the room for the maids so I wasn't planning on there being anything in there, but it made sense there could be something, and they rolled really high, so they found a box with keepsakes from the prince. Or sometimes, they find a nifty item like a magic wine bottle that pours out the type of wine you request.

Failure probably would have netted them nothing (I do horrible enough things to them on purpose without me adding more, but I also sometimes add more because an idea strikes me mid-way through) but I like rewarding good rolls too, since nothing sucks more than rolling really high when it absolutely doesn't matter.

Arvok

Explorer
So... To me, based on the description of what Insight allows you to do, a successful check can tell you not only if the person you're talking to is lying or telling the truth, but what their true intentions are, i.e. why they are lying or telling the truth. So, the interaction might be something like the following...

Player: Can I tell if this guy is telling the truth?
DM: Maybe. Make an Insight check.
Player: *result*
DM: <on success, and truth> The answers seem sincere and forthright. This weary citizen just wants the problem solved.
DM: <on success, and lies> The answers do not match up with known facts. Your interviewee is acting for someone else's benefit.
DM: <on failure, and truth> The answers seem incongruous. Your questions have put this commoner on edge.
DM: <on failure, and lies> The answers don't contradict anything you already know. This local wants the day to be over.

The way I understand it, Insight only tells you something about the speaker's sincerity--nothing about his veracity. If someone is telling you something patently false, but he believes it to be true, Insight won't be of any help. At its best, Insight is a lie detector, not a truth detector.

I might have missed something to which you were referring. This thread has gone on for a while and I haven't been able to keep up.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
For 90% of skills, I have no problem with this approach. If you are trying to lie to get into the palace, I need to know some form of the lie you are trying to sell so I know how the guard responds.

But, for insight... is there any other path than "I look for body language clues that they are lying."?
This presupposes that the only use of the skill is telling if someone is lying. Imagine, for a moment, that you cannot just ask if someone is lying and then press the Insight lever for an answer. How would you go about investigating to tell if someone is lying? Do any of those things seem like they might implicate Insight?

To address your question directly, looking for body language may not always yield a good response. If the target is not of your culture or kind, the difficulty is very high, and, with a consequence for any failure, the risk is also very high. Might not be worth it. Instead, you could engage in conversation and see if any of the story changes: "I'll talk to her a bit and review details, looking to see if anything changes." Bam, Insight check. Or, "I want to see if I can find out what bonds the NPC has, so I'm going to try to get them to open up about what they care about." Insight check to see if you successfully glean a bond, which can then be leveraged to find out if they're lying about something, depending on the bond. Or trait, or ideal, etc. Heck, even finding out that an Ideal is "I always serve myself first" can be a powerful indicator of certain lies.

There's tons of ways to use Insight that don't involve being a human (elf?) lie detector and also don't rely on studying body language.

I mean, if I'm going to declare someone is lying to me... I'm going to declare that, not use that declaration to figure out if they are lying. If I'm going to ask more questions to see if their story holds up and or if they contradict themselves, that's what I'm going to do. If I'm asking for insight, I want to know what my character's gut and observation skills are gleaning off of this individual.
This is a perfectly valid way to play, and also one I saw when I played with skill use declarations as the norm after a failed Insight check. The player already had an opinion and, instead of acting on that, used the "free" Insight check to validate. Heck, it was often used as proof of a lie, which is weird to me now.

In this one skill, I really don't see how I could ask a player to give me more information, asking for the Insight tells me exactly what action they are taking because it is a sum of observations, not a multi-choice approach. At least, as long as I don't have super senses that can smell or hear a lie, like some super heroes I've heard of.
I think you're being unfairly critical of your ability to imagine things. You're in a rut of thinking, is all, where the way you've been playing has become the way you think about the mechanic. Step back, absolutely forbid "body language observation checks", and see what you come up with for how you could possibly use Insight. It's a common thing for people to confuse how it is right now for how it ought to be, or could possibly be. It takes a moment of setting aside what you already think you know and looking at the problem in a new light, and being open to that. You might find you still prefer how you do it now (I think many do), but, then you'd know why you think that instead of just staying with the comfortable 'how it is nows'.

As always, how you enjoy playing is the best, most right, absolutely, irrefutably correct way to play -- for you! How I play should really only be a curiosity. Unless you like talking about how games are played, in which case, let's go!

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
This presupposes that the only use of the skill is telling if someone is lying. Imagine, for a moment, that you cannot just ask if someone is lying and then press the Insight lever for an answer. How would you go about investigating to tell if someone is lying? Do any of those things seem like they might implicate Insight?

To address your question directly, looking for body language may not always yield a good response. If the target is not of your culture or kind, the difficulty is very high, and, with a consequence for any failure, the risk is also very high. Might not be worth it. Instead, you could engage in conversation and see if any of the story changes: "I'll talk to her a bit and review details, looking to see if anything changes." Bam, Insight check. Or, "I want to see if I can find out what bonds the NPC has, so I'm going to try to get them to open up about what they care about." Insight check to see if you successfully glean a bond, which can then be leveraged to find out if they're lying about something, depending on the bond. Or trait, or ideal, etc. Heck, even finding out that an Ideal is "I always serve myself first" can be a powerful indicator of certain lies.

There's tons of ways to use Insight that don't involve being a human (elf?) lie detector and also don't rely on studying body language.

Yes, these discussions always seem to revolve around Insight being used to resolve tasks to discern truthfulness, but the DMG has a structure for resolving social interaction challenges (DMG, p. 244-245). In that setup, the PCs are generally going to be trying to suss out ideals, bonds, flaws or hidden agendas which can then be leveraged to modify the NPC's attitude. When the attempt has an uncertain outcome and a meaningful consequence of failure, an Insight check resolves it. The NPC's attitude in turn is used to determine the DC for any checks related to the PCs getting the NPC to do something for them.

Given this setup, what you'll tend to see in my experience are the wise characters assessing things in the background while the charismatic characters do the talking. The wise characters share the insights with the charismatic types who use that to bend the chances of success in their favor. This way, there's more participation in the challenge. I almost always give my less charismatic characters Insight for this reason. Sometimes those characters set about trying to discern truthfulness, but the real advantage is in trying to get at those ideals, bonds, flaws, or hidden agendas.

Remove ads