If an NPC is telling the truth, what's the Insight DC to know they're telling the truth?

G

Guest 6801328

It helps that no time is wasted on unnecessary dice rolls.

Just think how many goals and approaches a player could describe in the time it takes to retrieve just a single d20 lost under the table.

And if it rolls all the way to the radiator? Oh, the horror...the horror...

Last edited by a moderator:

pemerton

Legend
And to me it bring all kinds of anti-immersive, artificial weirdness if a character ho has never fought or heard of a creature know how to defeat it because his player knows.
I see two possible solutions to that:

(1) Play a character whose knowledge fits with the player's (eg your "1st level veteran" from upthread);

(2) Don't have the GM use trolls (or whatever) in a way that is premised on PC ignorance when the players know.

But ... I will say that this can be really annoying if taken to an extreme. I had a player once who would look up the monster we were fighting in the MM and tell everybody the details of the monster's abilities. Like details of powers, what the recharge rate on powers was, counting down legendary resistances, etc.

It may be an extreme example, but I don't think that would change much about the difficulty of my encounters. My players are free to look up any monster in the Monster manual if they so choose. But it's kind of an unwritten agreement that they won't. If they did though... I don't think it would matter.

So if the players are facing a bronze dragon, and want to look up what its resistance and breath weapon are, fine by me. But they'd better not make any false assumptions based on that information, because I may just have changed some things about the beast that are not in the manual.

Player: So guys, according to the Monster Manual this thing has a lightning breath weapon. So lets just cast protection against electricity and we're good.
Dragon: *Spits napalm*
Party: Merciful Zeus!
Player: It also says it's Lawful Good!
Party: The hell it is!

Last edited:

G

Guest 6801328

Sure. It was also an apparently failed attempt at humor.

Honestly, I'm relieved.

But ... I will say that this can be really annoying if taken to an extreme. I had a player once who would look up the monster we were fighting in the MM and tell everybody the details of the monster's abilities. Like details of powers, what the recharge rate on powers was, counting down legendary resistances, etc.

Ok, sure, but all kinds of things are annoying if taken to the extreme. Even roleplaying. (Especially roleplaying?)
That's not really an argument for banning them in their non-extreme forms.

Oofta

Legend
Honestly, I'm relieved.

Ok, sure, but all kinds of things are annoying if taken to the extreme. Even roleplaying. (Especially roleplaying?)
That's not really an argument for banning them in their non-extreme forms.

Do what makes sense at your table. Personally i'd rather not rely or use meta-game knowledge.

I should also say that PCs not knowing the basics of monsters is pretty rare, and even when they do I customize monsters on a fairly regular basis. But constantly reminding me of how the monster is "supposed" to work or quoting the exact wording from the MM really takes me out of the moment and makes it difficult to maintain the pace and flow of the game.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Say, Pot, have you met my friend, Kettle?

Yeah, I guess I come across a little hostile towards the idea of trying to enforce speech patterns (and that came out hostile too), but I've mostly been defending myself for the past week, so I'm going to be a tiny bit bristly.

I think you two would get along, you have so much in common.

Also, tone is hard in these sort of discussions. A sarcastic "Yes, you are right my confusion comes from you saying I'm not declaring actions when I am declaring actions" might not come across fully.

Then again, I'd like to point something out. I'm not quoting the rulebook at people. Which is what I was objecting too. See, [MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION] has been quoting the same passage of the book for this entire thread. Saying the exact same thing, over and over and over. If you want to compare my typed out answers to that, well, I can't stop you. However, the comparison between my debate and a repeated "read the rules on page 15 of the Player's Handbook" is stretching it in my opinion.

I don’t demand that players never say they roll Perception or chastise them for doing so. I ask that they tell me what they want to accomplish and how their character goes about it. They can be as specific and detailed as they like, or as simple and general as they like, so long as they provide me with the two things I need to adequately adjudicate their action without making assumptions or dictating what their character does - namely, a goal and an approach. Saying “I roll Perception” doesn’t provide me with that. Maybe it is enough for you to be comfortable adjudicating an action. Bully for you.

A goal and an approach.

"I want to roll perception to listen for an ambush beyond the door" would work. "I want to roll perception to see if I notice an ambush beyond the door" wouldn't? "Man, there have been a lot of ambushes in this dungeon. Bet there's another one lined up. I want to roll perception, let's see if we can get the drop on them instead" wouldn't? "I want to use my senses to detect if there is an ambush up ahead, may I roll perception?"

Maybe it is just because I'm writing the examples, but the approach is decently laid out in all four.

I know you’re not going to believe me when I say this, but it does not take much time at all in my games. It helps that no time is wasted on unnecessary dice rolls. I also don’t build uncertainty - on the contrary, I run the game the way I do to build certainty in my players’ minds, so that they can feel confident in making informed decisions. I have an example a while back of a player who was really concerned about the whole player skill vs character skill thing, until we had a talk about it, she agreed to give it a try, and she loves it. She is the most confident and creative player in my current group when it comes to describing actions.

Sure, I believe you. But, I wonder if we have different ideas of certainty and uncertainty.

See, I hate "Certainty" in a lot of ways. If my players are "certain" they can walk through a dungeon and catch every trap, then why am I bothering to place traps. They wouldn't be "certain" without hard evidence they could do so, and if they ahve that kind of assurance, then it means there is no point in caring about the traps.

But, if they only think that the Duke is behind everything, even if they've got a lot of evidence, then it will be good to be proven right. They are only "certain" after it has been resolved. The "uncertainty" makes it more interesting.

And usually this doesn't apply to abilities, but sometimes it does. I've on the spot homebrewed a lot of things. I've had clerics roll spellcasting checks and use channel divinity to cleanse an area of corruption, or heal a torn soul (literal). They aren't certain these things are allowed, but they are certain they can ask, and if it makes sense in the fiction (and doesn't unbalance the mechanics of the game too horribly) I've got a decent chance of allowing it. They trust I'm not going to have them waste time on things that aren't going to change, but there is some wiggle in what exactly their abilities can do.

Well you’re going to get a lot of pushback on that, because the term skill check has a specific meaning within the rules, and you’re using it to mean something else.

Fair enough, but a lot of things are defined by the rules in ways we don't use them. For example, there is no action for swimming or climbing. Those are types of movement. So, by a purely tyrannical reading of the rules if you ask a player to give you an action, and they say "swim to the other side of the river" they are wrong, because the game defines actions and that isn't one.

It's why I don't like this idea of "but this is very specific in the rules, so you can't use the term this way" because we use terms all the time in ways that aren't quite 100% accurate, and being 100% accurate all the time leads to more problems than it solves.

A fundamentally flawed premise, because we do not all agree that Insight should be rolled if an NPC is telling the truth.

Nope, perfectly fine premise. Just narrow in scope.

It would only be flawed if it had been intended to address people who did not think a roll was necessary, but by specifying a roll is being asked about, it tells you that those people are not being addressed.

Now, we've obviously moved far far away from the premise of this thread, but it is worth considering.

Then your message is extremely unclear. You have been arguing for an alternative ruling of the result, which is implicitly arguing in favor of the call to resolve the action by way of a dice roll.

I gave an alternate style of the result, then got swarmed by people calling me out for taking away player authority, and defending why in my circumstances that has become a natural outlet.

While the entire time I have said that I would have allowed wiping the handle to bypass the check.

If people want to pile on me, that is fine, just don't accuse me of making claims I never made.

Again, it’s a super weird hill to die on, given that “no, you fail, take damage” was arguably the least contentious part of the example. Sure, the hypothetical DM shouldn’t have said “no, you fail, take damage.” But the greater issue with that ruling is in allowing the possibility of failure in the first place. If you want to argue that DMs should be specific about why actions fail in terms of the narrative, instead of just saying they fail, fine, but the example under discussion is a terrible one to reference to make that point.

I'm only dying because people are stabbing me.

This is like ordering food at a burger joint with a friend who gets ketchup with their fries and hates coca-cola, saying you prefer mustard to ketchup for your fries. Then getting screamed down because your friend doesn't like coca-cola and how dare you implicitly accept that coca-cola isn't the primary drink of burger joints across the nation.

It was never the point, but I've spent so much time defending something I never said that you seem to be convinced I had to have agreed with it somewhere.

G

Guest 6801328

A goal and an approach.

"I want to roll perception to listen for an ambush beyond the door" would work. "I want to roll perception to see if I notice an ambush beyond the door" wouldn't? "Man, there have been a lot of ambushes in this dungeon. Bet there's another one lined up. I want to roll perception, let's see if we can get the drop on them instead" wouldn't? "I want to use my senses to detect if there is an ambush up ahead, may I roll perception?"

Maybe it is just because I'm writing the examples, but the approach is decently laid out in all four.

I just want to point out that in all four cases the action that you are calling the "approach" is something that the player does.

What does the character do? (He/she certainly doesn't 'roll Perception'.)

pemerton

Legend
A goal and an approach.

I just want to point out that in all four cases the action that you are calling the "approach" is something that the player does.

What does the character do? (He/she certainly doesn't 'roll Perception'.)
I've bolded two phrases in Chaosmancer's post where the imagined actin declaration includes an approach by the PC (listening, and using his/her sense). The one which refers to a desire to notice an ambush beyond the door doesn't mention an approach, but I would say at many tables an approach is implicit there: assuming the PC isn't clarivoyant or telepathic, then the noticing will be dependent on ordinary senses, and the two of those that can notice things beyond doors are hearing and smell.

The only one of the four that I find a little odd is the idea of checking Perception to get the drop on enemies: that looks like a mismatch to me.

Remove ads