If it's the DM's job to make sure the players have fun...What is the PLAYER'S job?

Most of the things I want my players to do are nicely covered in basic "Socializing With Friends for Dummies" type of behavior guides. There's not actually a lot that's unique to gaming that I need them to do.

Although I don't expect to tell players how to play their characters from a mechanics standpoint, unless they're new. And I really appreciate characters who are kinda "drivers" in the group, making stuff happen. I also appreciate characters who have some kind of quirk or other interesting trait that makes them fun to watch in action as a GM.

But I don't really so much require those things as I just really appreciate them.

Starman

Adventurer
To:
  • Clearly communicate which spells they have cast.
  • Know what color their character's eyes are.
  • Know where to find the Mountain Dew.
  • Know where their character is in relation to the other characters.
  • Cast magic missile at the darkness.
  • Creep out any girls in the area (in the game or not).
  • Not get in the way of any other players as they move along the path to El Diablo.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHdXG2gV01k]D&D Done Right[/ame]

Henry

Autoexreginated
If it's the DM's job to make sure the player's have fun...What is the PLAYER'S job?

What's the players' job? To make sure the DM has fun, duh! ;)

The theme of the social contract for RPGs, and the Star Wars movies as a whole, can be summed up in one acronym:

D.B.A.D.

(for those who don't get this one, Google will help)

Just like it's the DMs job to learn what his players want out of a successful game (Robin Laws helps with that immensely) it's the players' job to give the DM some stuff to work with -- don't hem and haw at choices for too long, bite on the obvious plot hooks, help a fellow player who is struggling but without taking away their freedom of choice, and compliment the DM when he does run a session that you enjoyed. Hell, if you do compliment the DM when you do enjoy a session, then when you don't the faint praise is often pretty noticeable to him or her.

Truth to tell, it's really the same rules for most all other social conduct...

Hejdun

First Post
The player's job is to take whatever the DM throws at them and make it entertaining and interesting for everyone, even if the DM's clearly struggling or winging it.

The player's job is to be involved. When the DM describes a scene, do something with it. When the DM pulls out an NPC, interact with it. When the DM throws out a plot hook, investigate it. The worst thing a player can do is nothing.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Hejdun said:
The player's job is to take whatever the DM throws at them and make it entertaining and interesting for everyone, even if the DM's clearly struggling or winging it.

The player's job is to be involved. When the DM describes a scene, do something with it. When the DM pulls out an NPC, interact with it. When the DM throws out a plot hook, investigate it. The worst thing a player can do is nothing.
Quoted for truth! God, this would help so many games of D&D.

Bullgrit

The Shaman

First Post

Everything you describe is the players reacting to the referee. To me, that's still just sitting around waiting for something to happen.

How about being proactive? How about taking the initiative and making the referee react instead?

To me, that's the hallmark of a good player.

Remove ads