D&D (2024) If short rest abilities become Prof # tiimes per day?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I mean, technically speaking they already have. It's half the reason we got Chromatic, Metallic, and Gem Dragonborn.

The other half, depending on who you ask, is either "awful bloat to fill up the unnecessary dragon book with more options," or "WotC FINALLY recognizing how crappy dragonborn were in the PHB, and also their growing popularity despite how weak they are, and giving them a well-deserved tune-up."

Which side you're on mostly depends on how you feel about new options, dragons in general, and dragonborn specifically.
I like new options. I'm mostly neutral about dragons (it depends on the context). I'm vaguely positive on dragonborn as a race, mostly due to the hilarious portrayal of one by a good friend of mine back when 4th ed came out. His name was Jason Dragonbourne, and it went on from there as you might expect.

For all the people who feel like the rules NEED to be aligned to their specific preferences for them to be happy... there is only going to probably be 1 person out there who will be truly happy.
so we shouldn't talk about what we want? why be on enworld then?
With the hundreds of thousands of rules spread throughout all the books, there will always be some amount of rules that will not align to your preferences and you will be stuck adjusting them and be unable to play "RAW". That's just the way it is. And if you play nothing but Adventurer's League and can never play home games where you can have the rules the way you want them... at that point you pretty much should get over the fact you are never going to play D&D 5E the way you want if you are "stuck" using the game as-is.
again... what is the point of telling people not to talk preferences?
If you continually want to push back at WotC to try and get them to change their rules to match your preferences, go right ahead!
I mean I only really started when they announced they were making changes for 2024... so that people can talk about it.
But just know that you getting mad that I had the audacity to state that you almost certainly are never going to get what you want
even though we can show how online chater changed the game atleast twice?!

I actually agree with you. WotC isn't going to change tracks based on anything said on ENWorld or any other site.

However, I also think people have the right to be irritated when the game moves away from a version they liked toward one they don't. Especially if they've been pretty happy for a while and the unwanted changes come rapidly. Even more especially if others in their community ooh and ah over changes you can't stand.
I don't really think someone is going to go "Oh GMforpowergamers posted this on enworld, lets talk about it at the next meeting"

However when threads like this are on the front page and responded to alot, can get people talking. when people are talking (here, on other sites, on tic tok on redit and at stores, at conventions) sooner or later either directly or indirectly this WILL get back to WOtC...

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I like new options. I'm mostly neutral about dragons (it depends on the context). I'm vaguely positive on dragonborn as a race, mostly due to the hilarious portrayal of one by a good friend of mine back when 4th ed came out. His name was Jason Dragonbourne, and it went on from there as you might expect.
Oh my God, that sounds amazing.

Reminds me of the Warforged character I considered making for a 13th Age game (but there wasn't room for me to join). Warforged Wizard, Dodec O'Hedron, second youngest of a set of siblings (the youngest being the very-recent Eikos O'Hedron).

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
even though we can show how online chatter changed the game at least twice?!
Good point. In 2015 people here on EN World were demanding WotC produce classic campaign settings other than Forgotten Realms, and sure enough WotC has listened! I guess it's true that a broken watch is still right every seven years. ;)

Good point. In 2015 people here on EN World were demanding WotC produce classic campaign settings other than Forgotten Realms, and sure enough WotC has listened! I guess it's true that a broken watch is still right every seven years. ;)
more then that... you could see back in 2006 the major caster issue that was fixed in 4e, in 4e you could see the 'it's not real d&D and everyone is magic' that got snapped back for 5e (maybe even the complaints about a simple fighter leading to the slayer and knight options) and you can see the call for other settings, and that spelljammer it self was high on the list.

Again I don't think that someone said "Hey enworld has a thread about it we need to call a developer meeting" I think that when people are talking here it spills out into other places too, including the surveys. WotC may not ever even look here (although I do believe we have devs with accounts here) but they don't have to. They just need to hear the same things we are.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
That was one of my least favorite changes in PF1 for both the classes it affected, though for different reasons.

Barbarian: No. Rage should not be a spigot you can turn on and off as needed. Once you see red, red it is until your foes are gone.

Bard: A horrible nerf. 3.5 bards can use bardic music 1/day/level. For most uses, a single use covers a whole situation. Inspire Courage/Greatness/Heroics works for 5 rounds after you stop performing (so the whole battle in most cases), Inspire Competence would help for checks taking up to 2 minutes, Fascinate could distract folks for as long as needed, and Song of Freedom would let you cast break enchantment, one of the most powerful anti-condition spells in the game for a single use of bardic music. But in PF, each round you do a bard thing costs one of your 4+Cha+2/level rounds per day. You want to boost your allies in a four-round fight? That's four rounds. You want to help your rogue buddy take 20 on opening a lock? Well, there goes 20 rounds. Each round you want to keep someone fascinated is one round gone (not to mention that the save now uses a normal formula instead of the bard's likely ridiculous Perform check). And Song of Freedom is gone, replaced with the anemic Soothing Performance, mimicking a mass cure serious wounds instead of break enchantment and costing four rounds of performance. Blech.
Rages per round, I thought, worked pretty well. And if you let it lapse before the fight was over, it was self-penalizing due to fatigue. The reason it worked as well as it did was because it was a combat-oriented feature and combat was already measured in rounds.

But I think you're right that the bard's shift to a per-round basis didn't work as well. It might have worked OK for inspire courage, but it sucked for virtually everything else.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I played a Bard in Pathfinder 1e, and worried that I might not have enough Performance rounds, I took a Feat that gave me a few extra rounds when I stopped a Performance (Lingering Performance). The weird part is, I never needed it!

I don't know if we should have faced more combats per game day than we did, but if anecdotal evidence means anything, it worked out ok for me.

Curiously, my Bloodrager had much more problems with his rage rounds- often I had to "waste" rounds because to conserve them meant I had to take fatigue penalties, so there really wasn't any advantage.

At higher levels, of course, you can find ways around that penalty, which I know annoyed some ("rage cycling") but I never got to that point.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I played a Bard in Pathfinder 1e, and worried that I might not have enough Performance rounds, I took a Feat that gave me a few extra rounds when I stopped a Performance (Lingering Performance). The weird part is, I never needed it!

I don't know if we should have faced more combats per game day than we did, but if anecdotal evidence means anything, it worked out ok for me.

Curiously, my Bloodrager had much more problems with his rage rounds- often I had to "waste" rounds because to conserve them meant I had to take fatigue penalties, so there really wasn't any advantage.

At higher levels, of course, you can find ways around that penalty, which I know annoyed some ("rage cycling") but I never got to that point.
Bards in 3/Finder are loaded with abilities that are either useless (countersong) or are so effective that if you can't ruin lives in three rounds with them, you have greatly miscalculated how bards work.

This is why bards were said to suck in 3/Finder even though they were actually crazy powerful, because no one understood what control was back then and thought the only point was taking down enemies when bards can just flick the 'off' switch on combats.= with anything with a mind.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases