General If you could put D&D into any other non middle ages genre, what would it be?

Tonguez

Legend
[sblock=Crossroads] Alt 1630’s Earth where Mordred Pendragon became High King of The Britons, after defeating Arther The Usurper, with the help of The Morrigan, who blessed him with powerful magic, long life, and children who would share his gifts. The line of Mordred are now Shadar-kai, and rules the British Empire. The national language is Brythonic Celtic (actually Welsh), capital is Cardiff, and the Empire encompasses the Isles, France, Parts of Iberia, and has alliances with many nations in other continents in the form of The Great Commonwealth. There is religious freedom, but by far the primary faith is Celtic Druidic Paganism.

Free Spain is largely Catholic, as are parts of Italia, and much of the European disaspora in The New World and elsewhere. Orthodoxy is more widespread, as it’s seat of power is still intact in Byzantium, once called Constantinople.

Southern Spain, the Arab Penninsula, much of North Africa, and parts of Eastern Europe and South Asia, are controlled by the Caliphate, which has regained its place as a center of learning after several centuries of decline and dedicated effort toward renewal.

In the north, the Allthing of Reyka governs over Scandinavia, Finland, Iceland, and a large chunk of what we know as the North Eastern US and Canada. The Federations and other governing bodies of the Natives of those lands progressed from the usual mix of conflict and trade, into a partnership, and are now equal representatives, and in many cases, founding members of the Allthing.

To the East of that, Moscovy Princes hold tenuous “alliance” with The Golden Horde, who in turn battle and trade with rivals on all sides.

And what of the races of dnd? In Egypt and surrounding lands, Aarakokra, Kenku, Tabaxi, Lizardfolk, and Shifters take the form of classic Egyptian depictions of the gods, while Dragonborn in old Mesopotamia still hold to their ancient gods even as newer faiths dominate their lands, and Gnomes and Goblinoids and Eladrin from The Otherworld ply the trade routes and secret ways between worlds called Crossroads. Goliath and Firbolgs from Otherworld and Jotunheim come to Earth as guardians and wandering mystics. German Kobolds live peacefully in forest villages, their human neighbors remember the old tales. Halflings from the Pacific Islands travel the seas, some in traditional vessels, others in the ships of the continents, while other Halflings have adapted to river boats and caravans.

The New World is not conquered, there has been no Great Dying. Hispanolia refers to the system of coastal Mission fortress-cities from which Spaniards and others make trade, and occasionally war, with each other and their native neighbors. Japanese Samurai guard Spanish and African caravans to Aztec cities, or further north to the trade towns of the Comanche and Even into the San Juaquin River Valley, where dozens of native peoples from hundreds of miles of wetlands meet in the spring and summer along river-roads to trade their goods, their stories, and their company.

Africa is likewise free. The technology of Europe and Asia has spread through trade and minor wars, unable to defeat the spirits and warriors and armies of Africa’s many nations.

you get the idea. [/sblock]

I did a similar Alt Earth but mine was set in the 1700s and started back in 1648 when Oliver Cromwell first came up against a Fey-Pact Warlock in Wales. Although driven back, Cromwell survived the encounter and turned to Divine Providence for aid. Gaining the support of the Scottish Witch Finders they soon discover that those of True faith have better defence against the fey and this helps them to push back into Wales.
However before they can continue on to the rebellion of Cornwall, the lost land of Lyonnes rises up from the sea opening portals to the Feywild and creating a land bridge across the English Channel. With the portals open all kinds of Fey and giants return to claim Lyonnes, some expanding into Ireland (which Cromwell is thus unable to subdue) and others heading to other parts of the world.
The Lord Protector squirms as Old Shuck once more terrorizes the moors and goblins infest the sewers of Manchester, he thus looks to Belgium and the other Low Countries to form a broader Protestant alliance against the corruption which becomes The Commonwealth Protectorate.

As Fey and Witch-finder forces clash in the Protectorate Lands, Witches and lesser beings flee into Europe. In southern Europe the Grand Inquisitor becomes Pope and pushing up to claim France for the Holy Catholic Church declares a holy war against the Protectorate heresy whilst secretly making pacts with demons. Elsewhere the Undead Lords beyond the Carpathians muster their forces, offering a refuge to those accused of witchcraft and lycanthropy, while old gods stir in the slavic lands and the Ottomans lead clockwork armies, while flying in, riding gryphons and magical carpets.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
And there are plenty of genres which D&D's approach is suited to, and which have guns in them.
Absolutely. Star Wars, for instance, is imo rather well-suited to D&D's approach, and has guns.

What D&D doesn't do is anything even smelling of "gritty" (except at first level maybe).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
With the emphasis on "weird".
Nah.

All you need for a non weird western game using 5e’s basic engine is new classes with plot tokens of various kinds instead of stuff like spells and guns that do massive damage. Just use the optional lingering injury and gritty healing rules from the DMG, and run with it. It’s about as much extra material as running Eberron.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Heck, the rogue mostly works as is, and the BM fighter works great as a trick shooter. Depending on how far from “weird” you wanna get, the Monk can also fit in perfectly not only as the king fu Master in the old west (a classic!) but also just as a more almost-supernatural gunslinger like Roland Deschain or the guy from the Red Dead games.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Another post that doesn't seem to realize the genre shift.

In D&D, when a level 8 Fighter is attacked by a few goblins with shortswords, their effects are akin to being shot by nerf guns, that is to say, they're an inconvenience but hardly fatal.

Does anyone consider this a "mockery of shortswords"?

Of course not.

The reason D&D "mocks" firearms but not axes or bows is because the genre has shifted.

You expect a Wild West revolver to be (way) more lethal than a (D&D) shortsword.

This would suggest you would expect a Wild West longsword to be (way) more lethal than a (D&D) plasma rifle.

And that's exactly what you're getting.

So before you respond to posts discussing "illogical mockery" it pays to think about genres! :)
I think people need to be clear if they mean a genre or a setting. "Middle age" is a setting, not a genre.

Yoon suin is a setting, not a genre.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I did a similar Alt Earth but in mine was set in the 1700s and started back in 1648 when Oliver Cromwell first came up against a Fey-Pact Warlock in Wales. Although driven back, Cromwell survived the encounter and turned to Divine Providence for aid. Seeking the aid of the Scottish Witch Finders they soon discover that they have better defence against the fey and this helps them to push back into Wales.
However before they can continue on to rebels of Cornwall the lost land of Lyonnes rises up from the sea opening portals to the Feywild and creating a land bridge across the English Channel. With the portals open all kinds of Fey and giants return, to claim Lyonnes some expanding into Ireland which Cromwell is thus unable to subdue and others heading to other parts of the world.
The Lord Protector squirms as Old Shuck once more terrorizes the moors and goblins infest the sewers of Manchester, he thus looks to Belgium and the other Low Countries to form a broader Protestant alliance against the corruption known as The Commonwealth Protectorate.

As Fey and Witch-finder forces clash in the Protectorate Lands, Witches and lesser beings flee into Europe. In southern Europe the Grand Inquisitor becomes Pope and pushing up to claim France for the Holy Catholic Church declares a holy war against the Protectorate heresy whilst secretly making pacts with demons. Elsewhere the Undead Lords beyond the Carpathians muster their forces, offering a refuge to those accused of witchcraft and lycanthropy, while old gods stir in the slavic lands and the Ottomans lead clockwork armies, while flying in, riding gryphons and magical carpets.
This is awesome!

CapnZapp

Legend
Nah.

All you need for a non weird western game using 5e’s basic engine is new classes
Hush - you'll anger the mockery guy.

Seriously, as I've just explained, a D&D wild west is not what most people expect of their wild west. That doesn't mean you can't do it, just that it's not what you need if your guns are sensitive to "mockery" :)

Derren

Hero
Nah.

All you need for a non weird western game using 5e’s basic engine is new classes with plot tokens of various kinds instead of stuff like spells and guns that do massive damage. Just use the optional lingering injury and gritty healing rules from the DMG, and run with it. It’s about as much extra material as running Eberron.

High Noon. They meet at the middle of the road, draw and shoot. And shoot. Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, reload, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, reload, shoot, shoot and shoot and the loser drops dead has his 60 HP are out....

The D&D combat and HP system favors melee so much that any setting with primarily ranged weapons will look very strange, no classes or not.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Well, first off just because it's an Age of Sail setting doesn't mean conventional adventuring can't exist. In such a campaign the early levels could be maritime or navy based*, with the characters moving farther away from that as they advance (either that, or becoming fleet commanders etc.).

* - it'd be easy, for example, to run U1-3 Saltmarsh series with the characters based on ships rather than onshore. Ditto X1 Isle of Dread or any other adventure set near the sea.

Ah I was thinking it would entail a less fantastical adventuring world.

MarkB

Legend
High Noon. They meet at the middle of the road, draw and shoot. And shoot. Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, reload, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, reload, shoot, shoot and shoot and the loser drops dead has his 60 HP are out....

Not very realistic for that specific sort of duel, I agree. But in an RPG where I'm hoping to be playing the same character for more than a session or two, I'd prefer that to having the outcome essentially determined by who rolls the higher initiative.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I once had a dream about a D&D setting in the roaring twenties -- orc gangster, elven bard who runs a speakeasy, human private eye ex-paladin ("I knew she was trouble the minute she misty stepped into my office..."). I think I called it the "Roaring d20's" or something like that. It was totally epic.
D&D is a perfect fit with pulp 20's storytelling. D&D is pretty pulpy anyway, and the mechanics support pulp action in all three pillars quite well IMO. I don't know that I'd run the above, which sounds like pulp Shadowrun, but generally speaking pulp action work work well.

*edit* Woodring-Stover's fantasy world of Ankhana has some good ideas in this direction. Not exctly 20's tech, but some very pulp fiction storytelling.

Torm

First Post
WW1 era but with magic would be neat too. Old planes and dragons in the sky ...
When WOTC did the campaign world competition that Eberron won, I submitted "Vie Victus!", which was a 3.5E campaign world I had come up with that was sort of WWII meets the Flintstones (air travel and combat were done by equipping large flying creatures with weapons, passenger compartments, etc) meets Ravenloft (the Nazi leadership was made up of powerful undead who were blotting the sun from the lands they conquered). Simple magics had been domesticated (such as messaging boxes that could cast Sending back and forth once activated by inserting a coin), and more complicated magics were being experimented with by governments (specially bred Bulettes with enhanced abilities for combat, hints of a project to develop a fireball spell with a 1.5 MILE radius, etc).

It obviously didn't win the competition, but that campaign was a lot of fun to run. :)

Oofta

Title? I don't need no stinkin' title.

The D&D combat and HP system favors melee so much that any setting with primarily ranged weapons will look very strange, no classes or not.

Well, in the "real" shootout at the OK Corral (which didn't take place at the Corral) there were about 30 rounds shot in 30 seconds. So 30 attacks in a 5 round combat? Sounds a little low for the number of attacks, but it's in the ballpark. The whole concept of standing 20 yards away from each other and ending a fight with a single shot was a convenience for old westerns that rarely had the budget or desire to have realistic gunfights. Not that there were all that many gunfights to begin with.

As far as one bullet always being fatal, somebody should tell this guy that that was shot 21 times that he's actually dead. Or this guy that was shot 27 times after being knocked unconscious by a grenade. There are more stories just a google away. Of course recovery is far too easy in D&D, but that can always be hand-waved by "magic".

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
It'd never get that far. During the second reload phase (or maybe even the first) one or both of the duelists would say screw this and just charge the other one with fists swinging...

Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4