D&D 5E If you had to choose: short rest vs long rest

Would you rather all abilities recover on a short rest or a long rest?

• Short Rest (All)

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Short Rest (Primarily)

Votes: 19 45.2%
  • Long Rest (All)

Votes: 17 40.5%

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
No, I get that. You run into that issue playing straight warlock. Once you cast a spell, you're down to 1 spell left, and if you use a 2nd spell for offense, then you don't have an escape spell or defensive spell available.

Yes. At least Warlocks get the 1 use before having to think about conservation.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I dont if you know Giffyglyph, but he's making a class compendium for each class to port them to long rest recharge, with 1-10th level progression and with more decision point within each class. I think you may like them.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I voted primarily short rest, but really what I would want is a game where resource recovery is something that should be actively managed. Rest a little bit get some resources back where you might have to choose between hit points or spells. I want decisions about how to recover after an encounter to have an impact on later success.

I think it is important to have longer term resources, but I would prefer if you had to do more than take a nap to recover them. The way priests in Rune Quest must seek out a holy place to recover spells is the sort of thing I am looking for here.

Long Rest Primarily

I think it would make sense for either a select few abilities to recover during a short rest or for a percentage of spell slots to recover during a short rest, but I like the fact that you have to schedule a long rest if you want to be at full capacity.

S'mon

Legend
Not really seen an issue running my own Red Hand of Doom 5e game - FR - Red Hand of Doom - it's up to the PCs to try to get rests in, and suffer the consequences when they screw up. Avoiding fights & running away often work, too! Been using standard short rest (which yes is tough in organised dungeons) + 3 day long rest so no LR in dungeons, and limited LR when 'on the clock'.

Of the options I voted mostly SR. Running Mini Six RPG where magic is 1 hour recovery and there is little general attrition I find that works very well for dungeon crawling, so all-SR also fine.

Personal preference, but I wouldn't make any changes that require a rewrite of classes or systems. I might give the players the option of "spending" a short rest whenever they want, each rest being 5 minutes long, but only allowing two short rests for every long rest. It's a bit gamey, but it gives the players a meaningful choice and puts that choice in their hands.

Xeviat

Hero
For the barbarian, I'm really liking the PF2 Barbarian who doesn't have uses of rage to manage. Rage lasts a minute, has bonuses and a penalty to AC, and when it ends you're exhausted for a minute and you can't rage for a minute.

Now, a 5E fight won't last a minute, but back to back medium encounters could be stretched over a minute. And an AC penalty (always reckless attacking while raging?) could make barbarians think twice about always raging, but rage is always an option.

I need to sit down and do a side by side with a fighter and see where a good balance point for barbarians if rage was always assumed to be on.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
For the barbarian, I'm really liking the PF2 Barbarian who doesn't have uses of rage to manage. Rage lasts a minute, has bonuses and a penalty to AC, and when it ends you're exhausted for a minute and you can't rage for a minute.

Now, a 5E fight won't last a minute, but back to back medium encounters could be stretched over a minute. And an AC penalty (always reckless attacking while raging?) could make barbarians think twice about always raging, but rage is always an option.

I need to sit down and do a side by side with a fighter and see where a good balance point for barbarians if rage was always assumed to be on.

Fighters get 2nd wind + higher AC.
Barbarians get to take half damage some fights and have a little more hp.

I'd say a barbarian could always rage and the fighter would still be fairly balanced with him provided the fighter is getting enough short rests.

Xeviat

Hero
Fighters get 2nd wind + higher AC.
Barbarians get to take half damage some fights and have a little more hp.

I'd say a barbarian could always rage and the fighter would still be fairly balanced with him provided the fighter is getting enough short rests.

Fighter also gets +2 damage with one-handed weapons, or +almost 2 with greatswords, which is equal to the rage bonus in the beginning. I also think the rage damage resistance is typically countered by the use of reckless attack, though reckless attack then boosts damage.

It should be possible to balance them.

Remove ads