If you Run twice, do the -5 penalties stack?

Venthrac

First Post
The "Run" move action causes the character to suffer a -5 penalty to attack rolls until the start of his next turn. If you run twice in a turn, would you then suffer a -10 attack penalty until the start of your next turn?

I would assume the answer is yes, since penalties stack unless they're coming from the same power.

Squire James

First Post
Agreed. Think of Run as a "power" that everyone can do. Two bonuses or penalties from the same power don't stack. Of course, they'd need an Action Point or use some kind of Minor Action attack in order to attack at all after running twice.

Edit: Or an opportunity attack. Or some attack granted by a Warlord. I think you know what I mean.

DracoSuave

First Post
Agreed. Think of Run as a "power" that everyone can do. Two bonuses or penalties from the same power don't stack. Of course, they'd need an Action Point or use some kind of Minor Action attack in order to attack at all after running twice.

Edit: Or an opportunity attack. Or some attack granted by a Warlord. I think you know what I mean.

'Game element' is the term according to the rules.

Here's the thing tho:

The stacking rules for bonuses explicitly do not apply to penalties.

-ALL- penalties stack (unless they say otherwise.)

The 'Same Name' rule applies to bonuses, not penalties.

abyssaldeath

First Post
'Game element' is the term according to the rules.

Here's the thing tho:

The stacking rules for bonuses explicitly do not apply to penalties.

-ALL- penalties stack (unless they say otherwise.)

The 'Same Name' rule applies to bonuses, not penalties.

DS, you might want to read that section again. Penalties from the same power do not stack. Ever. This has been true since 4e came out and was not changed in the recent update.

Markn

First Post
Draco,

I was just watching the movie - A Few Good Men. You remind me of a lawyer. That wouldn't be your occupation would it? ;)

1of3

Explorer
Running's a power now?

Maybe. You might argue that powers are distinguished from other things by their block format.

Now, there is a genral trend in newer books to write more things as powers, even though vey similar things would not have received this format in PHB1.

babinro

First Post
I'd tie this together with the Double Move rules. This is not easy to explain, but double walking does not lead the PC to be penalized multiple times based on terrain or enemies. It simply combines both move equivalent actions and applies all penalties at the end of the total action.

Running is a move action, therefore all penalties associated to it should only apply once when you double run.

It the PC were to take a run action, then a standard action, then an action point to run again, someone could argue that the penalties then stack. Personally, I think it is unlikely that the detriments stack as this would be a rather unclear means of writing such a thing.

To put this into real life terms <Which never apply to D&D but are fun to do anyways>, I don't see a discernible difference from running for 6 seconds vs running for 12 seconds prior to attacking.

Maybe. You might argue that powers are distinguished from other things by their block format.

Now, there is a genral trend in newer books to write more things as powers, even though vey similar things would not have received this format in PHB1.
yes, good response:

power:

run
action type: move action
effect: you move your speed +2. Until the beginning of your next turn a you grant combat advantage untli the end of your turn and until the beginning of your next turn all powers you make have a -5 penalty to attack rolls.

something like that.

Remove ads