• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E If you use thunderstep but teleport less than 10 feet do you take damage?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Because no where in that avalanche of words and RAW-cruft is there any argument of value besides 'you're abusing this spell by using it t a lower power', which makes no sense and 'It makes the spell more situational' which again, makes no sense.
You're objectively wrong with that, but I didn't expect you to go look, because I don't believe that you are actually interested in learning why.

Vaalingrade

Legend
It’s not. The logic relies on teleportation causing a moment the teleportee is nowhere. You argued so just a moment ago.
But not causing a moment large enough for anyone to do anything, just for the spell to be timed against itself like it pretty blatantly states it is with the 'the moment you disappear' line.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Objectively wrong.

With an interpretation.

Okay then.

Objectively wrong about the definition of 'objectively'. use 'literally' wrong like everyone else, please.
Sure. Why not? Opinion can be objectively wrong. Like, if you held the opinion that the Earth was flat.

Here's a fact for you. There are in fact arguments of value in the thread other than what you posted, even if YOU don't value them. ;)

Lyxen

Great Old One
Presumably because they expect overwhelming damage from some attack or environmental effect. Personally I don’t want to have “brief immunity to everything” as an effect of every teleportation spell, nor I believe such is intended.

First, it does not work that way. It works only with some spells, when there is a perceivable circumstance before the damage that allows you to use it as a trigger. Otherwise, as I've explained, if you are already caught in the damage, it's too late since the readied action occurs after the damaging effect occurs.

Secondly, you need to be specific about the perceivable circumstance (as per the readied action). If you are watching for a streak of fire, it won't help you against a caster disappearing in a boom. And the other way around. So you have to know which effect you are preparing for. If you can, well, that is really being immersed in the world and anticipating your adversary, so my response as a DM is "well done, kudos, all the more power to you".

And thirdly, if you can already teleport from the effect, the added value is extremely small anyway.

So, once more, it's simply fun, and certainly not abusable. And it is 100% RAW. It does not even depend on the teleportation from Thunder Step occurring fully before the blast or not. It just requires an imaginative reading

Lyxen

Great Old One
This doesn't change the point. I could still casually stroll 30 feet away taking 6 seconds to do so, while the rest of the instant teleport(thunder damage and reappearance) waits for me to finish.

But the thing is that is what is happening all the time, people moving around while other actions happen and have resolved. It's perfectly explainable, you were watching for something so particular that, when it started to happen, you were already moving. And you complete the move anyway after the damaging effect.

Moreover, your objection should not be restricted to this instance. This happens all the time, for example it normally takes a full round to make one attack, but suddenly, because you ready it, you can make it instantaneously when a circumstance occurs.

Once more, actions occur continuously and in parallel, it's just their resolution which has to be sequential to avoid paradoxes and inconsistencies. But the whole system is based on this, having someone roll away when someone casts something is absolutely within what I (and I don't think I'm the only one) expect from the genre, whether book, movie, show or TTRPG.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But the thing is that is what is happening all the time, people moving around while other actions happen and have resolved. It's perfectly explainable, you were watching for something so particular that, when it started to happen, you were already moving. And you complete the move anyway after the damaging effect.
No. No it's not explainable. Like at all. I defy you to come up with a rational explanation for beginning to move AFTER an instant teleport has begun and then do 6 seconds of action before the instant teleport finishes. They could not be moving prior, because the trigger was the disappearance, so that explanation fails.
Moreover, your objection should not be restricted to this instance. This happens all the time, for example it normally takes a full round to make one attack, but suddenly, because you ready it, you can make it instantaneously when a circumstance occurs.
I can suspend some disbelief, but what you are suggesting goes well beyond the pale. Nobody can interrupt a teleport to take an action before it completes. Except maybe the Flash.

Lyxen

Great Old One
No. No it's not explainable. Like at all. I defy you to come up with a rational explanation for beginning to move AFTER an instant teleport has begun and then do 6 seconds of action before the instant teleport finishes.

First, you're not doing 6 seconds of actions, you are doing one attack (and not a series of attacks), or one move. So let's say 3 at most. And in that mindset, if I know that a teleportation is coming, and I start it when the guy is reaching for the button, I bet I can move a fair distance or attack someone by the time a Star Trek teleportation finishes.

It all depends on your mindset and the visualisation that you are looking for. This is not, never has been a realistic game. It's just a simulation of the genre, and in the genre you see reflexes totally in line with this.

They could not be moving prior, because the trigger was the disappearance, so that explanation fails.

They had anticipated the disappearance, they were so psyched and ready that when the disappearance started to occur, they were in a sense already moving.

I can suspend some disbelief, but what you are suggesting goes well beyond the pale. Nobody can interrupt a teleport to take an action before it completes. Except maybe the Flash.

With a Star Trek teleportation, I bet you the contrary. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads