If you wanted to catch Star Trek Prodigy but haven't yet, better watch it soon!

It is a pity, because it is a pretty good show.

Note, what I've seen suggests that They will be allowed to finish post-production on Season 2, which is almost complete. That says to me that Paramount is very open to it finding a place to be shown. While the licensing costs won't be negligible, I imagine Paramount is going to want to recoup some of that cost, and so may not be so harsh on what they charge for it.

It says they have to finish it because they have a deal with Bell Media in Canada who I expect wants to air and keep both seasons on cravetv.

That being said if they can make a deal to off load Prodigy in other regions as well, there still could be more seasons.

Honestly I don't see Prodigy going anywhere here in Canada.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Not only cancelling, but cancelling with a substantially complete but un-aired second season, and removing it from the service seems unlikely to really make strict financial sense.
I suspect it wouldn’t under normal circumstances. But if there’s a merger with Showtime going on, they may be pulling what HBO Max did with some of its projects like Batgirl when they merged with Discovery. And that‘s taking advantage of some special temporary tax breaks for merging companies as they restructure and reevaluate projects. They might be able to recoup more by canceling the unaired second season of Prodigy than they’re likely to profit by airing it.
Removing the completed first season as well means they don’t have to pay the residuals they‘d otherwise owe by streaming it.

I suspect it wouldn’t under normal circumstances. But if there’s a merger with Showtime going on, they may be pulling what HBO Max did with some of its projects like Batgirl when they merged with Discovery. And that‘s taking advantage of some special temporary tax breaks for merging companies as they restructure and reevaluate projects. They might be able to recoup more by canceling the unaired second season of Prodigy than they’re likely to profit by airing it.
Removing the completed first season as well means they don’t have to pay the residuals they‘d otherwise owe by streaming it.

As far as I can tell it will still air in Canada and possibly only Canada.

Ryujin

Legend
As far as I can tell that will be uneffected.
It should also be noted, however, that Bell has their own financial issues at the moment. Not so long ago they started amalgamating their radio news reporting with TV news. For example in the Greater Toronto Area their radio stations carry the news from their cable news station, CP24. This has resulted in radio news casts that say such wonderful things as, "As you can see from this video..." on what was formerly the top news reporting radio station in the country.

They also recently closed several foreign news bureaus, closed 9 radio stations, and laid off over 1300 people.

It should also be noted, however, that Bell has their own financial issues at the moment. Not so long ago they started amalgamating their radio news reporting with TV news. For example in the Greater Toronto Area their radio stations carry the news from their cable news station, CP24. This has resulted in radio news casts that say such wonderful things as, "As you can see from this video..." on what was formerly the top news reporting radio station in the country.

They also recently closed several foreign news bureaus, closed 9 radio stations, and laid off over 1300 people.

Bell has a licience to print money, they are just chasing a trend.

MarkB

Legend
You are aware that Trek is frequently a morality play, yes?
I am. But the early episodes of Prodigy are very stereotypically kids' TV morality, not Star Trek morality, mostly-standalone episodes where one character has a glaringly-obvious character flaw that they are forced to overcome through plot contrivance.

As I said, it does get better - a lot better - but people could be forgiven for watching those early episodes and concluding that this was just a middle-of-the-road kids' show, rather than the outstanding kids' Star Trek show it grew into.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
As I said, it does get better - a lot better - but people could be forgiven for watching those early episodes and concluding that this was just a middle-of-the-road kids' show, rather than the outstanding kids' Star Trek show it grew into.
Yes, the last half of season 1 is better than the first. And I was looking forward to season 2 being The Search for Spock Chakotay.

Remove ads