D&D General If you were made president of D&D, what would you do?

cranberry

Adventurer
The adventures already sell. What would scrapping the VTT do to improve sales?

Yes they sell, but it seems like people have been dissatisfied with recent offerings.

Scrapping the VTT would allow them to redirect funds for hiring more creatives.

IMHO, after the "gee whiz" factor dies down, people will move to other VTT's that offer more flexibility, and cost less.

• The formation of the D&D Legacy Teams.
    • One Rules Team each for Original/Classic D&D rules, Advanced D&D rules (1e/2e), 3.PF1 rules, 4e rules, and 5.1 rules. (But they shall be deceived, for another team was formed, a Marketing Team that gives these projects better names.) Each of these rulesets will get a major upcoming Milestone Anniversary release with a deluxe collector's edition (limited edition, one time only), an evergreen/POD standard edition, and the release of a "full" SRD into OGL/ORC/CC-BY.
      • I can go into details about these "definitive editions"; I have ideas. These would be "core only" releases, but there will be free conversion documents for "original edition" supplements to the definitive versions packaged with PDFs/reprints of those supplements.
For me, it would be dividing D&D into 2 supported rulesets: 5.x as just "D&D" and B/X as "Classic D&D". For 5.x, keep things going largely as they have because it's working quite well. For Classic D&D, reprint most of the old D&D material while taking the time to clean up the print quality. Maybe make a deal with someone like Goodman Games to handle that since they seem like they'd do it right.

• For years, TSR made more money off of their tie-in novels than they did their games. How much money did Baldur's Gate 3 put in their pockets? Build stable, long-term relationships with fantasy writers, digital games developers, novel and comics publishers and have other companies keep WotC's intellectual property on as many screens as possible.
I'd love to know why WotC hasn't made more of an effort to keep the novel business going. I don't claim to know better than them on what will sell so maybe the market dried up, but if I was in charge I'd definitely want to look into whether this is viable in 2024 or not.

Reynard

Legend
Uh, the mountain of studies and research about the 90's setting bust. Now your turn, what has changed since then?
You said
Honestly, that would just add to the divisive pile of settings that already split the market in too many ways.
That seems to suggest you think this is a current problem. Do you see a current fracturing of the fanbase or community based on half dozen-ish single book settings that WotC has produced for 5E?

LesserThan

Explorer
functional Braille PDF
What? PDF are made to be read digitally. You cant feel pixels.

You would need a custom device to raise the Dots and lower them. You would not store the data for that in a PDF, nor would you want it converted from a PDF. PDF is now a crappy format thanks to the non standardization methods and people are having problems even getting text from a PDF.

You would want a format made for Braille data storage, on a device that could plug in to a Braille "reader".

These are all cost prohibitive prospects.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
What? PDF are made to be read digitally. You cant feel pixels.
Yes. That is why I would be impressed. It was a sarcastic comment.
You would need a custom device to raise the Dots and lower them. You would not store the data for that in a PDF, nor would you want it converted from a PDF. PDF is now a crappy format thanks to the non standardization methods and people are having problems even getting text from a PDF.
Yes. That is why I would be impressed. It was a sarcastic comment.
You would want a format made for Braille data storage, on a device that could plug in to a Braille "reader".

These are all cost prohibitive prospects.
Shall I say it, again?

In the post you literally quoted I stated that under my leadership, Braille copies would be made available. I didn't say they'd be PDFs. I didn't say DrivethruRPG.Com would have to sell them. I said that WotC, under my control, would release Braille copies of the books.

The level of intellectual dishonesty displayed here is -truly- staggering. It's not like the context wasn't -blatantly- there. You took two words out of a -sentence- to try and quote mine it and present me as a fool for some unfathomable reason.

That's truly terrible.

Last edited:

Staffan

Legend
I don't think Dark Sun will save WotC, but I sure as hell don't think it'd hurt it to release a 5E version.
Dark Sun has a couple of major problems. And I say this as a major Dark Sun fan from back in the day.

The main problem is that it's trapped between a psurlon and a hard place. If you keep all the stuff from the 90s version, there is a significant number of people who will rail against both it as a concept and you as a publisher, notably the oppressive themes up to and including common slavery. And if you soften that edge, the grognards who you were relying on to build interest in it will rail against it because it's not "real" Dark Sun. That's a lose-lose situation.

The second, significantly smaller problem, is that Dark Sun is weird. A single hardback isn't going to suffice to provide the detail level needed to do a good job with Dark Sun. And second-degree sourcebooks generally don't sell all that well.

I find interesting that people keep repeating creative commons and ogl and public domain. How would that turn profit for D&D? It's like people skipped over part in this scenario where we need to make D&D profitable. Too bad OP didn't include part about what would we do if we invested all we had into this business with all or nothing outcome ( aka if dnd isnt profitable, we lose all and become broke and homeless). I bet there would be less "run it to the ground" comments 😁
That depends on whether the owner wants it to provide the same RoI that they expect from the stock market or if they're fine with it paying for itself.

Just asking why go that route and not copyrighting or trademarking everything thats possible and then licencing out IP for profit?
Steampunkette had some good reasons for not doing this, but there's at least one more. Doing it that way is a lot of work. You need to hire people to manage those licenses, and make sure that the licensees stick to their agreements, pay what they owe, and that whatever is released is something you can support. With an OGL-style license, you just let people do their thing, and you don't need to bother with it unless someone does something egregious (e.g. the Book of Erotic Fantasy).

And this does not just affect you. It also affects your licensees. Under the OGL, if I want to release a 5e adventure, I can just do it. I mean, I still have to do the work to write it and stuff (or pay someone to do it), but it's under my control. If I have to enter into a licensing contract with Wizards, I need to approach Wizards about it and negotiate a contract. That's a lot of work and will probably need a lawyer, which eats into my profits, making doing so a less attractive deal for me.

Remember that the original plan with the OGL was that it was win-win. Smaller fish get to handle making adventures and sourcebooks and stuff, which a big corp like Wizards has trouble getting to a level where they make sufficient RoI to appease the beancounters. That lets Wizards focus on the big flashy luxury items while still making sure there's a lot of adventures out there to get people playing. To use early 3e names, The Crucible of Freya is not competition for the Sunless Citadel, it is an ad for the PHB which Wizards didn't have to pay for.

I'm under the impression that many of the settings are under exclusive license, but are still owned by their creators. Like I don't think Eberron can be used as an official setting for Pathfinder, but WotC has to pay Keith to use it on an ongoing basis.
That is completely wrong, other than the part about pathfinder, which is irrelevant to this discussion. WotC gain ownership of all the settings that TSR owned when they bought the company and everything since.

For example, TSR purchased the forgotten realms from Ed. WotC now owns that setting. Eberron is fully owned by WotC, Keith can’t make supplements or sell stories about it without WotC’s permission. That is why he had to do that through the DM guild.

There may be some obscure setting where the original creator has control; however, all relevant settings are wholly owned by WotC.

Last edited:

Remove ads