Ignoring an Opponent

Brother Laszlo

First Post
Say you're a 20th level fighter. In front of you is a 20th level rogue who slept with your girl. Behind you is a basic goblin.

It seems like you should be able to just decide to completely ignore the goblin behind you, because he's such a non-threat, and instead concentrate totally on the rogue, denying him the bonus of flanking and the deadly sneak attacks that would come with it.

Are there hard rules that state some way to just decide to ignore an opponent to prevent another opponent from flanking you?

Personally, I'd rule that you could choose to be flat-footed towards an opponent to ignore them. Every attack they would make against you would be a surprise attack, but the other opponent would then have your complete attention, and not get bonuses for flanking you.

Mahali

Explorer
Should be in House Rules but sure why not.

Have some caveat that says it must be at least 8HD less than you or 1/2 your HD. Something to that effect.

hong

WotC's bitch
This topic came up before. A usable house rule would be to treat one of the opponents (probably the goblin) as invisible; ie they get +2 to attacks and you lose your Dex bonus against them. Applying any more severe penalties leads to illogicalities.

hong

WotC's bitch
Geoff Watson said:
Using 'Ignore' rules would severely weaken Rogues, basically giving everyone Uncanny Dodge(flanking) for free.

Geoff.

Well, if you're fighting TWO rogues, you'd still be up sh*t creek....

Malin Genie

First Post
I agree with Geoff. Now, if you allowed the goblin to coup de grace someone who was ignoring it, then that might be more of a deterrent (although a 20th level fighter would easily make the Fort save associated with the blow, the goblin could still do 10 points of damage per round with his shortsword :) )

IceBear

Explorer
But most parties don't have two rogues, and I want every player at my table to be happy with his PC choice.

Sure, you ignore the goblin, so he wacks you in the back and at the moment you wince in pain - bam! - the rogue stabs you in the throat.

What the 20th level fighter should do is kill the goblin with his first attack (then he's no longer flanked) and then cleave the rogue and use the rest of his multiple attacks on the rogue. End of story.

I was, once, all for allowing the option of ignoring a weaker opponent, but in the end I decided not to allow it because:

1) It's not as easy as it sounds to ignore someone.

2) It weakens rogues too much.

IceBear

PS If you allow the ignored opponent to CdG the fighter, it makes a good deterrent to not ignoring someone. However, when an invisible oppoent slips up unknown on his victim, he would then make the argument that he should also get a CdG as the victim is effectively "ignoring" him too.

Last edited:

Malin Genie

First Post
IceBear said:

Sure, you ignore the goblin, so he wacks you in the back and at the moment you wince in pain - bam! - the rogue stabs you in the throat.

Except even if the fighter is treated as unaware (+2 bonus) and immobile (Dex 1, no shield bonus) a goblin probably won't be able to hit a 20th level fighter (what with his Full Plate +4 and his Amulet of Natural Armour +3....) ;)

PS If you allow the ignored opponent to CdG the fighter, it makes a good deterrent to not ignoring someone. However, when an invisible oppoent slips up unknown on his victim, he would then make the argument that he should also get a CdG as the victim is effectively "ignoring" him too.

I agree - I wouldn't allow ignoring IMC, I just sugested a CdG might act as a deterrent if you are determined to let the option in. You could certainly argue that attacks against unaware opponents should be treated as CdGs if you allow that rule - which would open a huge can of worms. Ecch.

[pet peeve not really on topic] Personally I think attacks aggainst unaware defenders should treat them as if they had Dex 1, not deny them their Dex bonus and add +2, which leads to the silly situation of two people with different Dexs, sitting in chairs having dinner, competely unaware of the rogue behind them, having different AC values despite the fact neither of them can react to the attack! [/pet peeve not really on topic]

Axiomatic Unicorn

First Post
Except even if the fighter is treated as unaware (+2 bonus) and immobile (Dex 1, no shield bonus) a goblin probably won't be able to hit a 20th level fighter (what with his Full Plate +4 and his Amulet of Natural Armour +3....)

Unless the DM justs gives the goblin a free automatic hit because he is being ignored in a situation that it really makes no sense that he should be...

Dm intervention is no worse than PC metagaming.

Remove ads