• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Ignoring basic equipment? Maybe you shouldn't be!

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
So this post is as much to remind myself as to point it out to others who might miss this...

...one of the big changes between 5e and 3e/4e is that mundane equipment is super dang useful, especially at lower levels! If you're not blowing some of your GP on this stuff, you're limiting your options or relying on class abilities and party members when you don't have to!

Don't let the low DC's and the "improvised weapon" stuff fool you - with bounded accuracy, and not much else to spend gold on, you can spam these things so often that all but the toughest enemies succumb often enough to make them worthwhile. They're not the solution to every problem, but every time we're in a village, I forget how frickin' useful this stuff is, and always regret it when I'm in a fight!

Improvised Grenades
Acid deals significant damage. Alchemist's Fire deals damage over time AND consumes an action to put out. Holy Water destroys undead. Oil makes your alchemist's fire -- or your party blaster -- more dangerous.

These are improvised weapons, often thrown, but thanks to Bounded Accuracy, you don't necessarily need your proficiency bonus to be able to hit with them, especially at low levels, and their effects are nice enough that it's often worth the gamble. Stop hitting skeletons with swords and trying to power through the resistance! Toss some holy water!

Sneak Attack Lite
Basic poison lasts for a full minute, dealing additional damage to an enemy who fails a Con check. Are you doing anything better with that 100 GP?

Area Ownership
Ball Bearings and their more dangerous big brother Caltrops will make any choke point more sticky. A Hunting Trap can be used with some preparation for a much more effective delay, and to eat up enemy actions. Oil shows a lot of versatility here - this is burning hands lite!

Restraints
Manacles are pretty seriously effective, even into high levels, on a correctly-sized target. A net is something any fighter can use in a similar capacity. A chain and a lock or good ol' fashioned rope might need a little more GM adjudication, but isn't so restricted by size!

Healer In A Pouch
Personally, I think 5e could do better here, but there's some good options. Antitoxin should be required for any party hanging out in caves or around necromancers or fighting druids. Healer's Kits will save a party member's bacon when they drop, and get REALLY GOOD with the Healer feat. Potions of Healing give you all the in-combat healing you're likely to need, if you can afford 'em.

What are your ideas, Internet?

Jaelommiss

First Post
I started a swashbuckling piratey game on the weekend. As a first level character with access to four powder kegs (DMG 267-68) and a few flaming arrows from crewmen we dealt 1/4 of a CR 23 kraken's HP before it decided to run away.

Gunpowder, Keg
For 250 gp you get a 10 foot radius explosion, dealing 7d6 fire damage, or half on a successful DC 12 Dex save. Great for trap making or rolling down hills to swarms of enemies. The only downside is the weight and risk. At 20 lbs you won't be lugging many of these around (not that you'd want it strapped to your back) unless you have a vehicle to carry them.

Of course, it's a bit harder to find gunpowder in a standard fantasy game, but if you're DM is open to the idea it can be a lot of fun. Army of zombies? Strap a pair of powder kegs to a goat, attach three 1 minute fuses (in case one gets extinguished), and get the umbrellas ready. Orcs hiding in a cave? Light fuses, roll keg down cave entrance. Need to ambush a caravan? Set a string of kegs along the road (hidden, of course), and have the wizard use a firebolt cantrip to light them.

There's not a problem in the world that cannot be solved by the generous application of gunpowder.

Skyscraper

Explorer
I like the 10-foot pole. It's a very handy equipment piece, really. It's not just about tappling the floor before you as you walk into dungeons to avoid traps. No, don't be fooled. You can pole volt over pits. You can poke people in a crowd from afar. You can accidentally hit hanging ceiling chandeliers and set fire to a dining room to put some unpexpected action into an otherwise boring dinner party.

And, with that baby strapped to you back, you simply look good.

Get one now.

Malovaan

First Post
Wow, oil, its cheap too... I'm so going to buy a load of that, I'm sure my evoker wizard can come up with something useful to do with it!

DaveDash

Explorer
Caltrops and ball bearings are VERY useful at low levels, especially if you're a Rogue or whatever with cunning action. But even fighting in dungeons against superior numbers means they can slow down a lot of enemies.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Guess what just became this thread's best friend?

The new spell from the Elemental Evil PC - catapult - flings a light object. It deals spell damage, of course, and if you're flinging an acid flask or alchemist's fire...or a bag of caltrops....or a vial of oil....It removes the obstacle of treating this like an improvised weapon and forces someone to make a save against spell DC that includes proficiency bonus.

The Tavern Brawler feat, of course, was always a good friend for the more martial characters...

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Improvised Grenades
I wouldn't feel very comfortable carrying these on my person, except for the holy water. Although it might be cool to cover yourself with alchemist's fire bombs, and let your enemy know as you stalk towards him...

Area Ownership
Ball Bearings and their more dangerous big brother Caltrops will make any choke point more sticky.
Ball bearings are (if you think about it) worthless anywhere other than flat, level surfaces. Read: palace floors. Caltrops, now, those have nice potential. And they don't blow up when an opponent whacks the bag you're carrying.

Healer In A Pouch
Personally, I think 5e could do better here, but there's some good options. Antitoxin should be required for any party hanging out in caves or around necromancers or fighting druids. Healer's Kits will save a party member's bacon when they drop, and get REALLY GOOD with the Healer feat. Potions of Healing give you all the in-combat healing you're likely to need, if you can afford 'em.
I'm still not sure why healing is an issue, if a long rest restores all HP. (Don't worry, I'll eat these words when I try to make my halfling soldier work in tomorrow night's game.) And after hearing about how limited magic items are, I'm a little suspicious of the potions of healing as well...

Dausuul

Legend
There's not a problem in the world that cannot be solved by the generous application of gunpowder.

True dat. My party was recently fighting aboard a fleet of enemy ships blockading a city. Our plan* involved dropping a fireball on the deck and fleeing to another ship while the first one burned. The DM had already made it clear the ships were all armed with cannons, but it did not occur to us to draw the obvious conclusion...

73 points of blast damage later, we hauled ourselves out of the water, teleported to safety, and began contemplating what we could do with this new learning.

[SIZE=-2]*The word "plan" is being generous. Like most of our plans, it was low on specifics and high on wanton destruction. We try to play to our strengths.[/SIZE]

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I wouldn't feel very comfortable carrying these on my person, except for the holy water. Although it might be cool to cover yourself with alchemist's fire bombs, and let your enemy know as you stalk towards him...

....while mixing two potions together....;)

I mean, yeah, if a DM wants to bone you, these become a little less viable, but most of the time, DM's don't bother with targeting bits of equipment (when was the last time you had your armor ruined by a spear or your quarterstaff chopped in half with an axe or took damage from falling on your own sword?).

Ball bearings are (if you think about it) worthless anywhere other than flat, level surfaces. Read: palace floors. Caltrops, now, those have nice potential. And they don't blow up when an opponent whacks the bag you're carrying.

If the floor's level enough to not be difficult terrain, it should probably be level enough that ball bearings can find little pits and pockets and crevasces and make the area a problem. But again, if your DM wants to screw you over, nothin's gonna stop 'im. :)

I'm still not sure why healing is an issue, if a long rest restores all HP. (Don't worry, I'll eat these words when I try to make my halfling soldier work in tomorrow night's game.) And after hearing about how limited magic items are, I'm a little suspicious of the potions of healing as well...

Mostly in-combat healing, since being unconscious screws with the action economy. And potions of healing are on the list of purchasable equipment, so are presumably common enough to be available in most shops, barring the above-mentioned DM screwing with you. :)

Sacrosanct

Legend
Every old school player read your thread title and shook their head in agreement

In fact, mundane equipment is what kept you from getting killed in old school D&D--it was nearly mandatory ;)

Remove ads