I'm beginning to dislike Netflix (re: Archive 81, 1899, Warrior Nun etc cancellations)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Even then, though, there were episodes where all that running through corridors didn't end up advancing the story in any meaningful fashion.

Well, there are chapters of Charles Dickens' works that don't really advance the story either.

This is a bit of a thing found in highly serialized presentations - the focus isn't on "advancing the story" with each episode and chapter. The original format was more about continuing to engage the audience.

Ryujin

Legend
Well, there are chapters of Charles Dickens' works that don't really advance the story either.

This is a bit of a thing found in highly serialized presentations - the focus isn't on "advancing the story" with each episode and chapter. The original format was more about continuing to engage the audience.
Imagine if people didn't actually enjoy going down those rabbit holes. No one would ever spend 3 hours of role playing time dealing with the random barman that you didn't even give a name, until the players asked for it.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Unpopular counterpoint-

Netflix understands something that we don't like to acknowledge. A lot of people just stop watching shows.

For every show that builds audiences, the majority of them lose them over time. And shows get more expensive (because you have to pay the cast more over time).

This cold and calculated decision means that we are probably losing a lot of good shows- for example, there wouldn't be a Breaking Bad on Netflix. But in terms of number and volume, they are probably right. New shows create buzz. If something is a hit, and continues to be a hit (Stranger Things), it will keep going. If it starts to lag, it gets the axe. And they will try to create the new hotness.

Which sucks.

There's something to that, but Netflix also doesn't always seem to know how to promote their own shows, or alternatively put on shows they have so little faith in they won't bother. The Imperfects was an interesting little show, but you'd have been hard pressed to know it existed given how little they promoted it, and--shocker!--it got too little viewership to be continued.

Ryujin

Legend
There's something to that, but Netflix also doesn't always seem to know how to promote their own shows, or alternatively put on shows they have so little faith in they won't bother. The Imperfects was an interesting little show, but you'd have been hard pressed to know it existed given how little they promoted it, and--shocker!--it got too little viewership to be continued.
Yeah, that one really bothered me. It was good. Compared to many shows, the production costs shouldn't have been all that high either. That's why I tried to spread the word about that show; I had a bad feeling it wouldn't be renewed.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
The series just felt outclassed by X-men and The Boys. While I enjoyed some of the writing, it also had a made for TV feel. This is the type of thing that would have lived on SyFy, but im not sure where that type of product lives anymore in the stream age?

Thomas Shey

Legend
The series just felt outclassed by X-men and The Boys. While I enjoyed some of the writing, it also had a made for TV feel. This is the type of thing that would have lived on SyFy, but im not sure where that type of product lives anymore in the stream age?

That may be, but lack of promotion pretty much assured that. So what's the internal logic of that?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

Maybe.

The counterpoint to that would be that the most common lament you ever hear from talent, whether it's film, TV, or music ... is the same.

If only I had been promoted correctly.

Doesn't mean it's not true, but the idea that "something good just wasn't given enough of a shot" long predates Netflix.

Ryujin

Legend
Maybe.

The counterpoint to that would be that the most common lament you ever hear from talent, whether it's film, TV, or music ... is the same.

If only I had been promoted correctly.

Doesn't mean it's not true, but the idea that "something good just wasn't given enough of a shot" long predates Netflix.
Indeed it does, so you would think they would eventually learn the lesson. Look at "Galaxy Quest" for example.

Undrave

Legend
Of the period? Heck, as far as I'm concerned, except for the black & white part, this was often the case throughout the entirety of the 90s. I had a 28 inch television which was complete adequate in 1997, but I just bought a television recently and I don't think I looked at anything under 40 inches. When they remastered the original Trek series for HDTV, they had to go in and digitally fix a lot of things like stains on some of the costumes.
I watched all of Star Trek Voyager on a maybe smaller TV!
It’s funny but I don remember dr who with Tom baker having filler episodes. Yes not great special effects but the story’s are still great . It was the writers and directors that made the show
Dr. Who used a serial format and definitely had 'filler' portions to those serials that made them longer. They also had to shoehorn a cliffhanger into the end of every episode of the story, giving a sense of rising action to each of them.

Remove ads