I'm beginning to dislike Netflix (re: Archive 81, 1899, Warrior Nun etc cancellations)

I find I do not have time or don't make enough time to watch shows anymore and there are quite a few good shows I have queued so it is not about the quality of the shows. If the day arrives when I consider cancelling it is not because Netflix or whoever cancels a particular show but rather how I don't make the time to consume the streaming platform's content.

EDIT: The last time I can recall when someone cancelled a show I really enjoyed, was Netflix's western Damnation and Ray Liotta's Smith.

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I think some good fixes for Netflix...and really all the other streaming ones.

Make seasons 20 plus episodes. Drop the pathetic 9-13 episode seasons. Yea, they are "cheaper", but every episode does not have to cost a billion dollars.

Just think of any show you like...would you like ten more episodes? They don't need to be billion dollar exotic location CGI Spam fests. "Bottle Shows" would be just fine: even better would be a nice Character Episode for EACH character on the show.

Then, maybe Netflix could commit to Three Seasons, so shows could space out an arc. Then there won't be any sudden cancellations.
SyFy channel has been running Charmed around the clock. Must have been a discount for syndication? Anyways, that show demonstrates exactly what a 20 episode season stretch gets you on average. Folks remember the absolute best shows, but forget how much chaff came with that wheat. I'll take the better production values any day of a 8-10 episode season.

Ryujin

Legend
SyFy channel has been running Charmed around the clock. Must have been a discount for syndication? Anyways, that show demonstrates exactly what a 20 episode season stretch gets you on average. Folks remember the absolute best shows, but forget how much chaff came with that wheat. I'll take the better production values any day of a 8-10 episode season.
Could be worse. Our version of SyFy in Canada doesn't seem to know what actually qualifies as SciFi or Fantasy. Yesterday they played stuff like "Con Air" and "Midway" all day.

payn

Could be worse. Our version of SyFy in Canada doesn't seem to know what actually qualifies as SciFi or Fantasy. Yesterday they played stuff like "Con Air" and "Midway" all day.
The U.S. channel is pretty much the same.

Ryujin

Legend
The U.S. channel is pretty much the same.
They should trade their playlists with The History Channel. "Midway" belongs there and I think that "Ancient Aliens" qualifies as SciFi. "The Curse of Oak Island" is pretty close to fantasy (reality, not the genre).

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

I just finished watching The Bear on hulu.

Could they have done more the 8 episodes? Probably. Eh, definitely.

But there is nothing that I would change.

I do think we tend to overlook how good the "old shows" could be ... it is quite a feat to hit 20-23 episodes, year after year, and maintain a level of quality that keeps drawing you back in. The best shows, the warhorse, could ensure that even the chaff was pretty good, and the best episodes were amazing. And they kept at it until the hit the magic 100 episode mark! I mean ... how many prestige television shows do that? None. None of them do, any more.

But you get something like The Office, of Buffy, or Seinfeld, or Airwolf,* or Cheers, or (going back) the three seasons of Star Trek:TOS which had 79 (!!!) episodes - any of the classics. Sure, there was filler, but it really stands out how impressive it was that the hit rate with the longer seasons of the classic shows is so high.

*Jan-Michael Vincent- the greatest actor of his generation, or of any generation?

payn

I just finished watching The Bear on hulu.

Could they have done more the 8 episodes? Probably. Eh, definitely.

But there is nothing that I would change.

I do think we tend to overlook how good the "old shows" could be ... it is quite a feat to hit 20-23 episodes, year after year, and maintain a level of quality that keeps drawing you back in. The best shows, the warhorse, could ensure that even the chaff was pretty good, and the best episodes were amazing. And they kept at it until the hit the magic 100 episode mark! I mean ... how many prestige television shows do that? None. None of them do, any more.

But you get something like The Office, of Buffy, or Seinfeld, or Airwolf,* or Cheers, or (going back) the three seasons of Star Trek:TOS which had 79 (!!!) episodes - any of the classics. Sure, there was filler, but it really stands out how impressive it was that the hit rate with the longer seasons of the classic shows is so high.

*Jan-Michael Vincent- the greatest actor of his generation, or of any generation?
I'll take Dirk Benedict.
a-team-imagines a-team GIF

A lot of that has to do with how television worked back then. It was so episodic because your chances of having a captive audience was pretty low. So, the shows had to be rather simple with a meme like hook. "This is the project montage part!" The quality of the writing relied on entirely different aspects than they do today. It's not that impressive, at least for me, and don't want that era of television coming back. YMMV.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I'll take Dirk Benedict.
a-team-imagines a-team GIF

A lot of that has to do with how television worked back then. It was so episodic because your chances of having a captive audience was pretty low. So, the shows had to be rather simple with a meme like hook. "This is the project montage part!" The quality of the writing relied on entirely different aspects than they do today. It's not that impressive, at least for me, and don't want that era of television coming back. YMMV.

I'm not making an argument in bringing it back, at all. I love me my modern TV.

It's more an appreciation of how difficult it was to make those programs, especially the stand-out ones. It's not a defense of shows like the A-Team of Hart to Hart, so much as an appreciation of some of the true gems and how difficult it was to make that many shows, year in and year out.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases