I'm beginning to dislike Netflix (re: Archive 81, 1899, Warrior Nun etc cancellations)

SyFy channel has been running Charmed around the clock. Must have been a discount for syndication? Anyways, that show demonstrates exactly what a 20 episode season stretch gets you on average. Folks remember the absolute best shows, but forget how much chaff came with that wheat. I'll take the better production values any day of a 8-10 episode season.
Except the problem is that ten episode seasons are not all ways "beyond great". You will still get 3-4 waste of shows, but out of 10 shows that is about half the season. It's bad enough too many shows do a good shows 1 and 2, then just have filler for 3-9, then suddenly have a good show for 10.

I get the super LAZY showrunners don't have to work hard. They can sort of "work" and put out ten short, easy episodes for a couple weeks, then party for the rest of the year living of the fame of "yea I made show X".

Maybe do two show runners a show? Hire one "super awesome vision wants to make the show and party" dude and then hire one much more normal grounded non-Hollywood person to do the other epsiodes.

Haplo781

Legend
Except the problem is that ten episode seasons are not all ways "beyond great". You will still get 3-4 waste of shows, but out of 10 shows that is about half the season. It's bad enough too many shows do a good shows 1 and 2, then just have filler for 3-9, then suddenly have a good show for 10.

I get the super LAZY showrunners don't have to work hard. They can sort of "work" and put out ten short, easy episodes for a couple weeks, then party for the rest of the year living of the fame of "yea I made show X".

Maybe do two show runners a show? Hire one "super awesome vision wants to make the show and party" dude and then hire one much more normal grounded non-Hollywood person to do the other epsiodes.
When you're the one fronting the 200 million a season you can certainly try that approach.

MGibster

Legend
It's more an appreciation of how difficult it was to make those programs, especially the stand-out ones. It's not a defense of shows like the A-Team of Hart to Hart, so much as an appreciation of some of the true gems and how difficult it was to make that many shows, year in and year out.
Oh, my God! Hart to Hart ended almost 40 years ago. I don't know what weirder, you bringing it up or me knowing exactly what it was. I even remember their employee Max and that little dog of theirs.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...

Sounds like the Amazon template, and yeah that can be a problem. Though, many 8-10 episode seasons of shows escape filler toss aways.

What exactly do you do for a living? Because it's clear by your posts that it's not anywhere near a creative industry.
Writer/Content Creator/Producer/ and I breed rabbits.

Look I understand that lots of people would hate the 24 a season hour long episode shows...and you know what, that is fine.

You can go right ahead and watch three other short shows and be all like "wow, all three of them shows were great, too bad they got canceled" . Me, and others in the same amount of time will watch one season of one show.

I had another idea, only for us big long season watchers: Break the "story" of a "fictional universe" into SEVERAL shows.

Like take a show Dark Road: Outlaw. It's an awesome 'western' like 'bad boy' show. Billy gets out of jail and zooms off on his bike to a small town of Zumo. Can he make a life for himself and obey the law? It's a super short super expensive CGI spam fest for eight whole episodes. A typical streaming show.

But ALSO, at the same time you have Dark Road: Sheriff . The sheriff of Zumo. He is tough and keeps law and order in his small town. How does he react when the Outlaw comes to town? It's a super short super expensive CGI spam fest for eight whole episodes. A typical streaming show.

And ALSO at the same time you have Dark Road: Jolene. The sheriffs daughter. Will she follow in her dad's footsteps or strike off on her own with.....The Outlaw? It's a super short super expensive CGI spam fest for eight whole episodes. A typical streaming show.

So see the "normal" viewer can just randomly watch each short show and be happy as a clam. But for the OTHER viewers, it is a massive INTERCONNECTED story of 24 EPISODES.

Though you don't "have to" watch all the shows. You could just watch Outlaw and be all happy "wow, he jumpped his bike over eight CGI spam pick up trucks that exploded, it was so cool" and then move on to the next random show they want to watch.

Haplo781

Legend
Writer/Content Creator/Producer/ and I breed rabbits.

Look I understand that lots of people would hate the 24 a season hour long episode shows...and you know what, that is fine.

You can go right ahead and watch three other short shows and be all like "wow, all three of them shows were great, too bad they got canceled" . Me, and others in the same amount of time will watch one season of one show.

I had another idea, only for us big long season watchers: Break the "story" of a "fictional universe" into SEVERAL shows.

Like take a show Dark Road: Outlaw. It's an awesome 'western' like 'bad boy' show. Billy gets out of jail and zooms off on his bike to a small town of Zumo. Can he make a life for himself and obey the law? It's a super short super expensive CGI spam fest for eight whole episodes. A typical streaming show.

But ALSO, at the same time you have Dark Road: Sheriff . The sheriff of Zumo. He is tough and keeps law and order in his small town. How does he react when the Outlaw comes to town? It's a super short super expensive CGI spam fest for eight whole episodes. A typical streaming show.

And ALSO at the same time you have Dark Road: Jolene. The sheriffs daughter. Will she follow in her dad's footsteps or strike off on her own with.....The Outlaw? It's a super short super expensive CGI spam fest for eight whole episodes. A typical streaming show.

So see the "normal" viewer can just randomly watch each short show and be happy as a clam. But for the OTHER viewers, it is a massive INTERCONNECTED story of 24 EPISODES.

Though you don't "have to" watch all the shows. You could just watch Outlaw and be all happy "wow, he jumpped his bike over eight CGI spam pick up trucks that exploded, it was so cool" and then move on to the next random show they want to watch.
Well, best of luck with your Dark Road cinematic universe. I hope you can get enough grounded non-Hollywood people involved to make it a success.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
My wife and I liked it. For an American audience the first couple of episodes are a little slow, but I think the time they took pays off in the long run.
I think Dark worked because the characters where never much in a place where there would be large crowds.

1899 felt off because the ship never felt BIG. Other than a single scene in the fancy dining hall there never seemed to be more than 15 or so people in any shot.

It's not bad, but I'd recommend a lot of movies/shows before it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
1899 felt off because the ship never felt BIG. Other than a single scene in the fancy dining hall there never seemed to be more than 15 or so people in any shot.

To each their own, I suppose. I got different impressions, some of them plot-relevant, so I won't speak to them.

Remove ads