I'm beginning to dislike Netflix (re: Archive 81, 1899, Warrior Nun etc cancellations)

Ryujin

Legend
I think Dark worked because the characters where never much in a place where there would be large crowds.

1899 felt off because the ship never felt BIG. Other than a single scene in the fancy dining hall there never seemed to be more than 15 or so people in any shot.

It's not bad, but I'd recommend a lot of movies/shows before it.
I got the opposite impression. Because they could break up into small groups and not be anywhere near communication range with each other, it made the ship feel big to me.

EDIT - Actually both big and claustrophobic, at the same time.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I got the opposite impression. Because they could break up into small groups and not be anywhere near communication range with each other, it made the ship feel big to me.

EDIT - Actually both big and claustrophobic, at the same time.
One specific example was the multiple times they used the First Class Berth hallway set where it was completely empty other than the main characters in the shot.

Also several conversations on the promenade with maybe a single couple or crewman walking by. That deck would be packed with people during the day.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
wheel of time ....

WHEEL OF TIME.

Seriously, nailed it. I watched Wheel of Time. I don't mind a slow burner of a show ... I rather enjoy it. But I watched that show, and I was really warming to it, and then that last episode?

That was more of a Wheel of WTF? I felt like it had two seasons of plot crammed into it. The pacing of that show was terrible. Beyond terrible. It would be like if White Lotus Season 2 has the first six episodes dealing with the couples arriving the first day, and the last episode was everything that happened afterwards (episodes 2-7).
Yeah. Totally agree. It was almost as if in the middle of production Amazon went to them and said, "We're dropping you from 12 episodes to 8. Have fun!"

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Very true and very sad lol.

As someone who has read that book, I thought it was like, not a bad adaption, but like, man that's a hard book to adapt.
I feel like I've read a completely different Eye of the World from you guys. There were no issues with my understanding what happened there. It was pretty clear to me. And it's not like I haven't heard this complaint before. I have and multiple times. It's bewildering to me.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
AMC is so shameless in this. I busted out laughing a few months ago when I saw an ad "The Walking Dead...The Final Season....Part Three!" I had given up long ago and didn't miss it. This was just too much.
My wife and I stopped in the middle of the season where they met Negan.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I feel like I've read a completely different Eye of the World from you guys. There were no issues with my understanding what happened there. It was pretty clear to me. And it's not like I haven't heard this complaint before. I have and multiple times. It's bewildering to me.
I think it's two things.

1. Is that it was described in the books in a way that can be unclear and things manifesting in a way that isn't repeated in later books (don't really want to get into spoilers).

2. The sort of soft de-emphasizing on what The Eye of the World actually is and how important it is in later books.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That said, I don't necessarily think it's great for most serialized TV. A lot of shows that are released as "binge-able" shows suffer from pacing problems, perhaps caused because they are meant to be binged- why worry about pacing when they are going to be consumed at once. It also makes it really hard to talk to other people about shows; with a very few exceptions, there's no "water cooler shows," and no shows people are watching at the same time ... except for live sports, really.
That's why I like both. I like binging good shows on Netflix or older shows that have full seasons out, but I also enjoy shows from HBO like The Madalorian and Obi-Wan Kenobi. The once a week pacing gives me something to talk about with my gaming group before the game starts.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Both of these are insane, IMO.
Yeah. If I hear "It gets good after the first season." I will watch the first few episodes so I understand the beginning and then skip the rest of the season and get to the good part. It doesn't take long for me to put the pieces together about what happened in the episodes that I missed.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases