I'm looking for people's opinions on the most fun wizard possible

Kair0s

Villager
I have not played a 5e Enchanter but I have played Enchanters in past editions and they have always been a blast. It's fun to manipulate and dominate others. The 5e Enchantment spells list is really strong though so imagine it would be pretty fun to play. It doesn't matter what school you take, they're all the same as in if the spells fails it's useless.
Don't blast/dmg type spells usually have half damage if you miss though? I thought that general design paradigm was the trade-off between damage and save-or-suck. I like the idea of just finding spells I'll mention to the dm that it would be really cool if I could do that. I do like the idea of charming people, but don't NPCs hate you as soon as it wears off? How do you play around that other than running out of town lol

Gavin O.

First Post
Oh thanks! That seems neat. I've heard that int is an underwhelming stat for checks in this edition. Also it's too bad the int isn't the +2 but permanent flying seems worth it.

If you're using point buy or the standard array, the highest you can get a single stat to with a +2 bonus to it is 17, where with a +1 bonus you get 16. There's no difference, mechanically, between those two, and when you get an ASI you can increase a stat by two points (for +1 modifier) anyways. Having +1 to your main stat very nearly just as good, assuming you're not planning to take a feat that gives you +1 int (and there are very few good ones)

Regarding Int being an underwhelming stat... it is, but that's all the more reason for you to pick it up. Quite a few important skills are based on Int, and since it has virtually no combat applications except to wizards, you'll probably be 5+ points ahead of the rest of your party when it comes to making them.

Last edited:

nugstradamus

First Post
I can vouch for enchantment. It's always a blast controlling other NPC's. I personally like the necromancer, but the whole "inherently evil thing" kind of puts you into somewhat of a roleplaying box. He's still malleable, but you are kind of pegged to a certain area of the alignment Venn diagram.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
When the DM describes the dank, horrifying dungeon around the party, your Illusionist begs to differ and describes the psychedelic gumdrop kingdom that the characters see instead. Those aren’t trolls, they’re dancing gorilla butlers come to serve you tea — a fact the regenerating fools themselves believe by the time you’re done with them!

Kair0s

Villager
When playing a wizard, what kinds of things are most fun for you? Do you enjoy stealthy manipulation?, trickery?, enemy containment? damage? Let us know what you find most fun!

I like the idea of bending reality (forcing dice rolls, teleporting, illusions, creating a pit instantly, etc...). I like having solutions to every problems that just make things happen, in a way I wouldn't even be able to attempt with a skill roll.

I don't like that I both have to prep my skills for the day and that I have such limited slot use. Also a lot of the Traditions have useless features which annoy me as well, but I'm tired of just being a tank or a damage dealer or a face. I want to just snap a finger and make :):):):) happen.

hejtmane

Explorer
If fun is making your dm have a headache Divination for the win

Portent
Starting at 2nd level when you choose this school, glimpses of the future begin to press in on your awareness. When you finish a long rest, roll two d20s and record the numbers rolled. You can replace any attack roll, saving throw, or ability check made by you or a creature that you can see with one of these foretelling rolls. You must choose to do so before the roll, and you can replace a roll in this way only once per turn.

at 14th you get a 3rd dice

if you like throwing damage evocation because you can nuke in the middle of your friends

Remove ads