I'm way behind: drow ability score vaguary

Usurper

First Post
I hate to ask this, since a) it's probably been asked a million times and just dropped off the face of the forum by now and b) everyone's probably sick of drow...

The 3.5 MM tells me that drow have ability score adjustments to Int and Cha, a seeming change from the adjustments to Dex, Con, Int, and Cha. But then if you look at the scores that are provided for the drow warrior, then at the "original ability scores" listed at the end of the drow description, you see they're using the Dex, Con, Int, and Cha mods as seen in FRCS.

Furthermore, checking out the Player's Guide to Faerun, I'm not finding any changes to racial ability scores from FRCS.

I only noticed this because I was trying PCGen out (uses an obscene amount of RAM...) for the first time in ages to see if it had improved and noticed it used the four stat adjustments. I looked up the latest version of the SRD and it contains the same two stat adjustment listing as the MM 3.5.

Is it safe to assume that the two stat adjustment is a horrible mistake, as it contradicts its own entry and doesn't seem to be backed up by sources anywhere else?

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Usurper said:
Is it safe to assume that the two stat adjustment is a horrible mistake, as it contradicts its own entry and doesn't seem to be backed up by sources anywhere else?
They are in addition to the normal high elf ability score adjustments as per this rule quote.

"Drow Traits (Ex): These traits are in addition to the high elf traits, except where noted."

If they meant for these adjustment to replace the normal elf ability score adjustemnts the would has said this "These adjustments replace the high elf ’s ability score adjustments." as they did in the Wild Elf entry.

Usurper

First Post
Camarath said:
They are in addition to the normal high elf ability score adjustments as per this rule quote.

"Drow Traits (Ex): These traits are in addition to the high elf traits, except where noted."

If they meant for these adjustment to replace the normal elf ability score adjustemnts the would has said this "These adjustments replace the high elf ’s ability score adjustments." as they did in the Wild Elf entry.

Ahhhh. Should have guessed. Is there a forehead-smacking smiley on this board? Guess the embarrassed one will have to do. :eek:

Edit: forgot to say: thanks!

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Usurper said:
Is there a forehead-smacking smiley on this board?

Nope, but note, that there is a plethora of websites dedicated to serve your needs...

banghead.gif

There is even a bigby's crushing hand smilie... see?

bluegrab.gif

How cool is that !?

Bye
Thanee

P.S. And here's even the wizard, who cast the spell...

wizard.gif

...and his familiar...

raven.gif

Last edited:

Remove ads