Immortals Handbook: Gods & Monsters 5E Early Preview (Feedback encouraged)

Hey Obly buddy! :)

...just got sent the artwork for ONE OF the CR 44 Old Ones in the book. Really cool image. ;-)

Suggestion: Parry go as Reaction and not as Bonus action.

Yeah I was sort of wondering how best to do a few of the actions. Technically 5E doesn't seem to have Immobilize (for the bounce on impact) and not sure if (not able to use the shield) is a big enough detriment to the 2-handed strikes. Ideally it would be a 2 page write-up if I had it in the book, but just wanted to keep that one compact enough to fit a single page.

Hey LunarSquid amigo! :)

I noticed he had a +22 to hit on his weapons. Have you changed your mind on capping bonuses at +20?

Bonuses are not capped per see, Ability Scores are capped at +10 (although you can modify this for one die roll using Legendary Ability Scores), other stuff will scale.

Items go up to +10 in the book (for the top Supernals, so don't expect immortals to see anything over +4), Proficiency Bonuses go to over +20. So AC 50 is probably possible.

I was considering a limit of 50 on the ability score (+20) but I don't think its necessary and doesn't add anything to the game, it only decreases potential interactions. Its difficult to cap Proficiency Bonus though. Greater Gods get +10, Elder Gods +11 etc. I can live with the +1 difference per Divine Rank given you don't want to be messing with beings +3 ranks higher since they will likely be too powerful.

Akira Whitlock

Explorer
Hey LunarSquid amigo! :)

Bonuses are not capped per see, Ability Scores are capped at +10 (although you can modify this for one die roll using Legendary Ability Scores), other stuff will scale.

Items go up to +10 in the book (for the top Supernals, so don't expect immortals to see anything over +4), Proficiency Bonuses go to over +20. So AC 50 is probably possible.

I was considering a limit of 50 on the ability score (+20) but I don't think its necessary and doesn't add anything to the game, it only decreases potential interactions. Its difficult to cap Proficiency Bonus though. Greater Gods get +10, Elder Gods +11 etc. I can live with the +1 difference per Divine Rank given you don't want to be messing with beings +3 ranks higher since they will likely be too powerful.
How many items will we see of cosmic tier and above?

Howdy Akira buddy! :)

How many items will we see of cosmic tier and above?

Well I have a slightly different method of classification but I think I should have at least 12 items above a 4-dimensional artifact (standard artifact), so 5-d, 6-d, etc. Not sure if I will fold in the artifacts from the god & monster entries into the Artifact (Epic Magic Item) chapter - I a not planning to at this point.

I'm having to keep the artifacts in the stat-blocks brief to keep it all in one page (except for the big monsters), whereas in the Artifact Chapter I can flesh the items out more.

Ooooooo and what about materials? It would be fun to see a few more than just Orichalcum purities.,

Well I am trying to shy away from just heavier and heavier metals (although I have those too). Basically I want 3 for each dimension* (4d, 5d, 6d etc.), but the higher dimensions are tricky to find materials for and I like them all to have some basis in mythology, science or magic.

*...and the dimensions are not exactly the same as what I laid out in 3.5E, a few changes and some new (hopefully cool) and very dangerous locations. I currently have 6 pages for each dimension I am detailing (and half of those six pages are illustrations). So that should be enough of an overview to get people started - if I get to do other books at a later date I might flesh each out further.

LunarSquid

Villager
Hey Upper_Krust,
From early July next year, I will be on a mission for my church for two years. Is it possible that the handbook would be close enough to finish by then so that I could order it and my family could hold on to it till I get back? I know you have mentioned that you can't say exact dates, but would 6 or so months bring it close?

Hey Upper_Krust,

Howdy LunarSquid amigo! :)

From early July next year, I will be on a mission for my church for two years.

Wow! Congratulations, sounds like an adventure.

Is it possible that the handbook would be close enough to finish by then so that I could order it and my family could hold on to it till I get back?

If I don't have it ready by then I will send you a copy when its done to your family and/or where you are placed (whichever is easier). So don't worry you won't miss out my friend. Plus the pdf is free when you buy the book(s)* so you could take it with you on a kindle or whatever (if that's possible where you are going? No need to say where it is buddy).

Two books now:

Immortals Handbook: GODS (2 Player chapters and 2 DM chapters, also has about 10 sample gods and 10 sample monsters that use some new mechanics from the book, like new epic conditions, new epic damage types, rules for building your own Abominations etc.).

Immortals Handbook: MONSTERS (some DM stuff mainly about the new sizes and approx. 80 monsters divided into six sections: I already mentioned the Teralodon, so it is one section with about a dozen accompanying entries and lots of other cool stuff).

I know you have mentioned that you can't say exact dates, but would 6 or so months bring it close?

Honestly, I think I should have it finished by then, BUT, I am not sure the Kickstarter will be underway by then.

From what I can learn, Kickstarter suggest doing 6+ months pre-Kickstarter build up (gaining email addresses, promotion etc.) to gain sufficient support until you know you will hit your target. The thing is I don't want to start the build-up until I know I have the finish line in sight (you guys know how slow I am). Now that said, it might be a beneficial move partnering with another company to do the Kickstarter in which case that might speed things up. So that might be an avenue to explore.

LunarSquid

Villager
Wow! Congratulations, sounds like an adventure.
Thank you!
If I don't have it ready by then I will send you a copy when its done to your family and/or where you are placed (whichever is easier). So don't worry you won't miss out my friend. Plus the pdf is free when you buy the book(s)* so you could take it with you on a kindle or whatever (if that's possible where you are going? No need to say where it is buddy).
Thank you so much! I would greatly appreciate that. I do not know yet where I will be sent, so I don't know if I could or not.

I just want to thank you again for your time in making this for all of us gamers who would benefit from it.

Remove ads