• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortals Handbook - Grimoire (Artifacts, Epic Magic discussion)

Hi Omeganian dude! :)

Omeganian said:
Krenshinibon?

I'll see what I can do, that does seem rather specific. Although when I was reading over Crenshinibon's entry in wikipedia (its been over a decade since I read the Crystal Shard) and it struck me - was R A Salvatore a big Superman fan or what!? Fortress of Solitude anyone?

Pssthpok

First Post
Well, if an ioun stone can grant Alertness at a cost of 10,000 gp, then it stands to reason that a feat-on-item ability should probably rate at +2 (divide 10,000 by two since armor takes up a slot and an ioun stone doesn't; 5000/1000 = 5, SQRT = 2.23 ~ +2).
An epic feat would have that 5000 tenfolded, so SQRT(50) = 7.07 ~ +7.
After that, you just multiply by x5, as UK suggested, since innate abilities are better than items.

So...

Feat: +2
Epic Feat: +7
Divine: +15
Cosmic: +35
Trans: +80

Seems low at the high end, though, don't it?

Hey there Pssthpok matey! :)

Pssthpok said:
Well, if an ioun stone can grant Alertness at a cost of 10,000 gp, then it stands to reason that a feat-on-item ability should probably rate at +2 (divide 10,000 by two since armor takes up a slot and an ioun stone doesn't; 5000/1000 = 5, SQRT = 2.23 ~ +2).
An epic feat would have that 5000 tenfolded, so SQRT(50) = 7.07 ~ +7.
After that, you just multiply by x5, as UK suggested, since innate abilities are better than items.

So...

Feat: +2
Epic Feat: +7
Divine: +15
Cosmic: +35
Trans: +80

Seems low at the high end, though, don't it?

You are multiplying the end cost rather than the bonus squared, thats why you are getting such cheap abilities.

Pssthpok

First Post
Wouldn't that be more accurate? Otherwise, you have to work backwards from the bonus to the price... well, not that that matters much. Okay, I see.

Hey Pssthpok matey! :)

Pssthpok said:
Wouldn't that be more accurate? Otherwise, you have to work backwards from the bonus to the price... well, not that that matters much. Okay, I see.

A +6 weapon is six times more powerful than a +1 weapon but it costs 360 times as much, or 36 times as much excluding the x10 multiplier for epic stuff.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Upper_Krust said:
I meant to ask, are there are specific artifacts or unique magic items you want me to cover in the Grimoire?

As well as mythological and occult items, I could always do my own versions of popular fantasy and even D&D artifacts, even though names and to a certain extent powers will be likely to change.

For instance, the Throne of the Ram could be seen as the Throne of the Gods, or the Ring of the Nibelungs could be used in place of Tolkein's one ring.

So if you have any suggestions now is the time for them.

U_K, I'm sure you've already thought of this, but the Marvel/DC artifacts that were featured in the JL/Avengers crossover are obvious ones, though you'd have to change them somewhat.

Beyond that, how about some of the more Biblical items, reinterpreted for the d20 multiverse? What would Noah's Ark be like in that context, or the Ark of the Covenant (or Noah's Ark of the Covenant :lol: )? What about the Lance of Longinus? Those might be really cool.

Hi guys! :)

Alzrius said:
U_K, I'm sure you've already thought of this, but the Marvel/DC artifacts that were featured in the JL/Avengers crossover are obvious ones, though you'd have to change them somewhat.

You know I had actually forgotten - so thanks for reminding me. :uhoh:

Alzrius said:
Beyond that, how about some of the more Biblical items, reinterpreted for the d20 multiverse? What would Noah's Ark be like in that context, or the Ark of the Covenant (or Noah's Ark of the Covenant :lol: )? What about the Lance of Longinus? Those might be really cool.

I have the Ark and the Holy Grail, I suppose I could add the Lance of Longinus.

Pssthpok said:
...or the holy grail, if we're gonna get all Indiana Jones.

Shankara Stones - thats what I'm missing! :p

I'm looking to have a minor, moderate and major artifact for about a dozen pantheons, same for each dimension and then perhaps a few I just made up. ;)

Some of the above are more than one item for one entry. For example the Japanese Regalia (Major Artifact) are three items - albeit only equivalent to a major artifact when used in conjunction.

Remove ads