Impossible weapons

Tolen Mar

First Post
TwinBahamut said:
A Yo-Yo of death that consists of a metal blade on a string that can be redirected easily mid-flight.

I did something similar...they were weighted for club style damage. She wielded two of them and had combat reflexes...The PC's didnt know what hit them.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
I like the great dagger (Ultima 7). Shape of a dagger, but strikes as (not "like") a greatsword. Though arguably, a sun blade comes close (mechanically).

Quasqueton

First Post
There was some game in an arcade I watched one time that had a sword that when you shoved it into the ground, the blade came up underneath your enemy for damage. That was cool.

Quasqueton

I just want to make sure everyone here knows that I have published rules for:

And in one of my games I had a trio of assassins who fought with a) a chainsaw longsword, b) an eight-foot long tuning fork, and c) a pair of extendable immovable rods. This was matched by the PC in the steam-mecha, the PC with the Tesla sword, and the PC with the automatic bazooka.

Wombat

First Post
Pandybat n. 1) A ridiculous-looking weapon. 2) A weapon designed in such a manner as to do at least as much damage to the wielder as to the opponent. 3) A weapon so large or awkwardly shaped that it is impossible to pick up. 4) All of the above, with a cherry on top...

From the SCA to the old Alarums & Excursions article to most fantasy art, pandybats are everywhere.

Ah, the wonders of the Three-Handed Axe, the War Maypole, the War Band...

Many weapons illustrations in fantasy art (especially in rpgs and anime) show us weapons that are unwieldable, or at the very least unwieldy, and likely to cause massive problems to the owner when they slip out of control.

Such is the whole point of fantasy weapons -- if weapons and armour like this are generally available, it must be a fantasy! ;)

(...obviously silly mood today...)

Tetsubo

First Post
I would argue that such weapons already exist in the D&D rukes.

Examples:

Spiked Chain. It has metal protrusions coming out of each link. So that the user would puncture his own hand. That is dumb. Banned in any game I GM.

Mercurial Weapons. A hollow tube filled with a lethal metal. Only someone that has NEVER actually used a sword would think of this... or someone that has no knowledge of how dangerous mercury is... Banned in any game I GM.

Dire Flail. Best way in the game to smack yourself in the back of the head. Banned in any game I GM.

Any weapon based on something seen in a computer game, especially something from Final Fantasy.

Double Sword as depicted in the games illustrations. You need a fairly high ratio of grip to blade to use such a weapon. It's more like a short staff with sword blades on the end.

All of these weapons can only exists within a fantasy game. You don't seem them in the real world. There's a reason for that, they wouldn't work...

And that is one of the criteria I use to decide if such a weapon will be used in a campaign I run. Has something similair been used in the real world? If the answer is no, I'm not likely to allow it. Variations on a theme are one thing, I've designed hundreds of odd weapons. But the weapons I mentioned above are just silly...

Napftor

Explorer
In the same vein, my most recent pdf concerned a shapable substance called mallyate. A wielder can shape it into any type of weapon or armor and it also scales magically with the wielder (i.e., it gets more powerful as he does). Check it out here: New Special Material: Mallyate

IcyCool

First Post
The whipsword from Soul Caliber (Yay Ivy!), and from the final fight scene in Brotherhood of the Wolf was pretty neat. I'd like to see stats for that.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
RangerWickett said:
I just want to make sure everyone here knows that I have published rules for:

And in one of my games I had a trio of assassins who fought with a) a chainsaw longsword, b) an eight-foot long tuning fork, and c) a pair of extendable immovable rods. This was matched by the PC in the steam-mecha, the PC with the Tesla sword, and the PC with the automatic bazooka.

Spiked codpieces! - you RW are a genius (maybe a perverted genius but a genus nonetheless)

Sejs

First Post
IcyCool said:
The whipsword from Soul Caliber (Yay Ivy!), and from the final fight scene in Brotherhood of the Wolf was pretty neat. I'd like to see stats for that.

There actually is a weapon that is -sorta- similar to the whipsword. It's called an urumi or chuttuval and it's basically a six foot long, flat, sharp metal ribbon that you'd wield as if you were harassing someone with a length of rope. Only in this case, you're also slicing the bejebus out of them as you do so. An exotic weapon for sure, as they're supposed to be remarkably difficult to use.

Remove ads