• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

improved intiative on weapons

Rixshaw

First Post
In a group that I am playing in we have a fighter with a weapon with improved intiative on it. What would happen if that weapon was given to a character that already has that feat. As of right now I am not sure how the weapon could be built with feats on it, but anyways would that then let the character with improved intiative and that weapon get a total +8, or maybe a (4+2) +6 like a synergy bonus or just his normal +4.

Crothian

First Post
I have no idea how feats get into weapons either. No one I've hear od has a system for it yet.

Arguement for +8: Improved Iniative is an unnamed bonus and it should stack with itself.

Arguement for +4: This feat can only be taken once, so having it twice through a magical source should not get around this rule.

Personally, I would not allow it to work going with only +4.

Rixshaw

First Post
Yah the only thing that i see close to it is like a bracer that would allow the user to have two weapon fighting. but I do not have my books with me so I can't look that up. the more I think about it the more I thing I have seen other equipment with feats added to them either in the dmg or the magic of faerun books thouse are the ones i look at the most.

kreynolds

First Post
Yeah, I'm the same as Crothian. If you already have the feat, and the feat can't be taken more than once, you get nothing out of it. Kind of like having a cleaving weapon when you already have cleave.

Crothian

First Post
So, how does theis weapon work? If it's sheathed would I still get the bonus or would it by like a defender and I'd hhave to be actively using it? What if I'm disarmed? Would my iniative be reduced by four? If I pick it up again is my iniative increased again?

I think certain feats should not be used in magic items and this is one of them.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
kreynolds said:
Yeah, I'm the same as Crothian. If you already have the feat, and the feat can't be taken more than once, you get nothing out of it. Kind of like having a cleaving weapon when you already have cleave.

Err... a Mighty Cleaving weapon is useless if you don't already have the Cleave feat.

From the SRD:

Mighty Cleaving

A mighty cleaving weapon allows a wielder with the Cleave feat to make one additional cleave attempt in a round. Only one extra cleave attempt is allowed per round.

Caster Level: 8th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, divine power; Market Price: +1 bonus.

In answer to the original question: I would vote for them not stacking.

kreynolds

First Post
Caliban said:
Err... a Mighty Cleaving weapon is useless if you don't already have the Cleave feat.

That's a really good point there, except I didn't even mention Mighty Cleaving. It was just an example of a weapon granting a non-stacking feat. A weapon of Improved Initiative gives you Improved Initiative if you don't have it. A weapon of Mobility gives you Mobility if you don't have it. A weapon of Blind-Fight gives you Blind-Fight if you don't have it. See the theme? ;)

kreynolds

First Post
Hey, Cal. It's cool. I'm not starting anything here. I've been really good about not dog-fighting so let's not start now. Deal?

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Not only do I vote for them not stacking, but I also vote for them not existing.

Magical items with any form of initiative modifier means that either they have to give you the add all of the time (which is ok), or they have to give it when you use the item (which is not ok).

The problem is that most DMs (of my acquaintance) do not keep track of the actual initiative numbers unless maybe more opponents will be arriving. Even then, they usually just write down where they will show up and forget about them.

We use 3x5 cards to keep track of who goes next in the initiative order. Hence, there is no actual number in our games. So, an item that added to initiative when the item gets used would be a real pain in the butt for us. JMO.

Remove ads