D&D 5E In a (hypothetical) Tales from the Yawning Portal 2, what are the adventures you would want updated for 5E?

You know what would make this module memorable for a bunch of 1st level characters? A RED DRAGON END BOSS.

Like I said above, it would work well as a mini-campaign from 1st-5th.

There aint no way you're still 1st level by the time you've cleared out the forest level, upper temple, and D levels 1-3.

A well rested party with the potions of fire resistance and the ring (and also the sword) could take on a CR 10 young red dragon with an outside chance of winning.

You'd obviously run it as a non combat encounter (have the dragon refuse to let them leave unless they pay it tribute, appropriate Charisma checks/ RP can resolve, or they can just pay it) but if they want to try their arm, have at it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Technically, Ghosts of Salt marsh was already a Yawning Portal 2: it even included an extensive discussion on how to tie the YP modules in with the Saltmarsh storyline.

For a third one, I'd say:

N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God
I1 Dwellers of The Forbidden City
I2 Tomb of the Lizard King
Other Swampy/Jungley Adventures from Dungeon and other Editions, fleshing out Orlane as a base of Operations in the swampy depths of Keoland.

Stormonu

Legend
I'll also shill for Goodman's version of B4 - The Lost City and X2 - Castle Amber. Both go far beyond the original adventure fleshing out vast areas to make it a full-on campaign. They're worth the cost.

On task...

Yawning portal had adventures you * could * string into a campaign from 1st - 12th possibly, so I think a follow-on should do similar.

N1 - Cult of the Reptile God (Lvl 1-3)
I7 - Baltron's Beacon (Lvl 4-8)
I3 - Pharaoh (Lvl 5-7)
C1 - Ghost Tower of Inverness (Lvl 5-8)
D1-D2 - Descent into the Depths (Lvl 9-14)
D3 - Vault of the Drow (Lvl 10-14)
Q1 - Queen of the Demonweb Pits (Lvl 10-14)
Labyrinth of Madness (Lvl 15+)

As a side note, I'd be up for a reimagining of the Slavelords-Giants-Drow-Demonweb modules along the lines of Tomb of Annihilation reimagining of several classic modules (containing aspects of Isle of Dread, Dwellers of the Forbidden City, Shrine of Tamoachan, Tomb of Horrors). Perhaps leave A4 as an optional section in case the party gets captured along the way. A one-book 5E compilation of those modules wouldn't be bad either.

I'd also love to see the Desert of Desolation series revisited, set in a mini-campaign setting of Al-Qadim (without reference to FR!)

Still most likely a TPK, but you for sure couldn’t just swap that dragon with a 5e one straight across.
You absolutely could.

Young Red is CR 10 so not totally beyond what a 4th/5th level party (and they should be there by the time they encounter it) can handle.

Bear in mind that the dungeon level before it has a Dragonslayer sword, potions (and a ring) of fire resistance. Also the dragon as written speaks to the PCs first.

The only changes I'd make is foreshadowing the Dragon (the kobolds on the level worship it, there are cave paintings of it and maybe the PCs even spot it flying around the mountain on the way to the temple), and having it be a social encounter (think Smaug and Bilbo) where it demands treasure from the PCs to allow them to pass unmolested (Charisma checks allow them to pass unmolested without giving anything up, or promising to come back with something later on, or completing a task for the dragon).

If they really want to attack it, have at it. It's not totally beyond a 5th level party (with fire resistance) to succeed.

Magister Ludorum

Adventurer
I wouldn't want any of the ones done by Goodman since they did a great job. I've bought them all, but may have to skip the next two since they are Elemental Evil, and I think that's the 3rd worst adventure ever written. (#1 being Tomb of Horrors and @2 being Terrible Trouble at Tragedor).

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
For a Yawning Portal sequel, I think they could do best by pulling in some of the bigger old Dragon Magazine adventures.

The Mere of Dead Men series
In Search of Bloodsilver
Kingdom of the Ghouls
The Forgotten Man
The Setting Sun

Remove ads