• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In a world where the quadratic wizard could exist, the quadratic wizard wouldn't...

jshaft37

Explorer
exist.

If wizards can ascend to "godlike" power, then they would constantly be hunted down and either regulated or eliminated. It doesn't make sense for all of the PC races to let a small subset hold exponential power over the vast majority. I'd imagine that in a world where monsters, undead, and combat are commonplace, then eliminating a great threat, like a potentially all powerful wizard, wouldn't be out of the question either.

Even lawful good aligned wizards would be feared, because they would represent an imbalance in the world, and they would be rigorously hunted by the forces of evil. Perhaps even the forces of good would consider the lawful good wizard a threat because they could still represent tyranny.

As some will claim, the wizards used to have laughable hitpoint values. If wizards pose that much of a threat, the first time a wizard battles any intelligent creature, the aim of that creature would be to kill the wizard without regard for the other party members. However, (some) DM's do not (and should not) play to kill characters, and that creates an unfair advantage for the wizard that should not be allow to survive.

At the very least, if the power of a wizard is so great, then they should be rather rare, and the requite for playing a wizard should be difficult to achieve, requiring ability score to be rolled at random (i'm talking more difficult than straight 3d6 rolls for a 1E Ranger).

That's the best I can rationalize the need for balanced classes.

maybe i'm just babbling at this point, but this was something that crossed my mind when I was running today. Maybe it was just lack of O2 to the brain...

TLDR...Classes should be balanced.

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
You mean they'd rule the world.

The only thing powerful enough to hunt down one of the Tier 1 classes in 3E was another Tier 1 class. You don't take on a Druid unless you're a Cleric or Wizard (people seem to have forgotten it was CoDzilla that was the recipe for easy victory, Wizards took far longer to optimize). Artificers could shake the fabric of reality and break the action economy to do so. This is NOT A GOOD THING.

Every realm would be ruled or controlled by powerful spellcasters, and the few that weren't would live in constant terror of a Wizard taking an interest in them.

Dark Sun sound familiar?

jshaft37

Explorer
But a higher level class (or just as likely a mob) can take out a level 1 wizard pretty easily. And if what you are saying is the case, that's all the more incentive to kill any wizard, druid, artificer, etc at birth or early childhood.

This is part of the plot in Dragon Age, and the same principal of the male confessor in the Sword of Truth.

Tortoise

First Post
exist.

If wizards can ascend to "godlike" power, then they would constantly be hunted down and either regulated or eliminated. It doesn't make sense for all of the PC races to let a small subset hold exponential power over the vast majority. I'd imagine that in a world where monsters, undead, and combat are commonplace, then eliminating a great threat, like a potentially all powerful wizard, wouldn't be out of the question either.

Even lawful good aligned wizards would be feared, because they would represent an imbalance in the world, and they would be rigorously hunted by the forces of evil. Perhaps even the forces of good would consider the lawful good wizard a threat because they could still represent tyranny.

As some will claim, the wizards used to have laughable hitpoint values. If wizards pose that much of a threat, the first time a wizard battles any intelligent creature, the aim of that creature would be to kill the wizard without regard for the other party members. However, (some) DM's do not (and should not) play to kill characters, and that creates an unfair advantage for the wizard that should not be allow to survive.

At the very least, if the power of a wizard is so great, then they should be rather rare, and the requite for playing a wizard should be difficult to achieve, requiring ability score to be rolled at random (i'm talking more difficult than straight 3d6 rolls for a 1E Ranger).

That's the best I can rationalize the need for balanced classes.

maybe i'm just babbling at this point, but this was something that crossed my mind when I was running today. Maybe it was just lack of O2 to the brain...

TLDR...Classes should be balanced.

I posit that perhaps they lack the will to be so brave as to rise against wizards.

Peasants sometimes rise against kings, but only after long suffering. Besides lack of will there is lack of immediate means coupled with fear.

Then perhaps it is up to kings to be the wizard slayers. Though, some kings rely on wizards to seek advantage against other kings so odds are reduced that they would unite to undo the wizards.

And of course wizards know this and use it to their advantage.

Janaxstrus

First Post
My dm does actually target the spell casters if the enemy has a decent intelligence.

Also, I've lost many a wizard due to poor planning, bad luck or just simply being outmatched.

Dragons are the ones to worry about, not wizards.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
In the Mingiantverse, 95% of the living spellcasters who are smart and powerful to cast high magic are also too insane to conquer anything.

I really hope the DMG lists possible reasons why casters don't rule the world.

Dausuul

Legend
Any nation bonehead stupid enough to burn its spellcasters at the stake isn't going to last long--it will very soon be laid waste by its more sensible neighbors, who nurture their embryonic demigods instead of trying to kill them off. One way or another, you're going to be ruled by an all-powerful wizard-emperor. The question is, will it be one of your own, who'll remember those who treated her well and helped her to power? Or will it be a foreign conqueror who'll grind you under her heel?

Now, this assumes that wizardry doesn't have nasty side effects, like insanity, demons popping up all around you, etc. If that's the case, then of course spellcasters will be feared and reviled. But if wizards are just "people with the potential for phenomenal cosmic power," they will be revered rather than hated.

Last edited:

jshaft37

Explorer
Mo' money, mo' problems. I suppose no one would ever be jealous, threatened, or spiteful toward the wizard that is enthralling this town (probably with some sort of charm spell).

Remove ads