D&D 5E "In my Experience Players in D&D5E games regularly ask for Advantage." (a poll)

True or False: "In my Experience Players in D&D5E games regularly ask for Advantage."

• True.

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • False.

Votes: 55 85.9%

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Simple premise, whether you are a player or a DM at a 5E table - whether you started playing last week or in 2014. . .

True or False: "In my Experience Players in D&D5E games regularly ask for Advantage."

Remember, this is not asking what you think they do or heard they do, but what you have experienced first hand (including yourself).

delericho

Legend
No, I don't think I've ever been asked for advantage. There have been a few cases where they've reminded me that they should have it, for one reason or another, but I don't think that's quite the same thing.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Regularly?

REGULARLY?!

I wish it was only regularly. I get asked at least once for each attack roll, and for at least one in three save throws. I imagine my players would constantly ask on ability checks too, if it wasn't for the cleric squawking "Guidance! I give you Guidance!" from the sidelines.

(I voted 'true.' But I mashed the button as hard as I could with the mouse, about a dozen times, while muttering "I'm crushing your head!" the whole time.)
1661179826667.png

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Yea but not as often as I hear "oh I'm going to help him [b{you get advantage so make sure to roll it[/b]" from a player before I can even speak to question allow or bar the "help" springing from hammerspace

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Pretty rare in the campaign I played in. Usually, it was just to clarify or figure out how some rules were supposed to work. Nobody went fishing for it.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Regularly? No. Commonly? Also no. There is one guy who we play AL with who frequently fishes for Advantage, but he's really the exception.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
False. When my players gain Advantage or Disadvantage it's usually because the action they are taking already has a rule in place to give one or the other, so they don't have a need to request for it on top of that.

And for the times when Ad or Disad has not been explicitly called out in the rules... they instead just do what they think is right for them based on the fiction of the scene without concerning themselves with the mechanics. Thus it falls to me to determine whether what their character is doing or has done deserves to gain Ad or Disad on any roll they make.

I would when I started playing. It seems like the way the game is intended to run (at least in lieu of the DM being better about handing creative, out off-menu advantage than any DM I've ever encountered). It opens up things to incentivize a lot of creative play.

I stopped really doing it because even if nobody resents you always asking for advantage, it just gets old trying to argue for why you should get something that half the time ends up being inconsequential. I think I stopped asking for it around the same time I learned to cut off debates about what skill someone should use with "is your modifier actually different?" and "why don't we roll first and see if it matters."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases