In praise of the Healer Theme

Kunimatyu

First Post
That's not how feats work. Set themes are optional. Players are completely free to chery-pick feats.

- Marty Lund

Source? My impression is that feats are now packaged as themes, and if the DM allows, they can be broken up to let players choose a la carte.

tlantl

First Post
Source? My impression is that feats are now packaged as themes, and if the DM allows, they can be broken up to let players choose a la carte.

listen to the latest podcast I'm sure they mentioned it there. I believe it was mentioned in other places too but there's so much to dig through that I'm going to leave that to you.

mlund

First Post
Wouldn't your DM have to approve a "custom" theme ?

"For themes, you can pick one and advance in it, mix a couple, or build your own by selecting feats a la carte. I also hope that DMs see them as a tool to create custom themes for their campaigns." - Mike Mearls, livechat 5/29/2012

The DM arbitrarily limiting Player feat selection is not the purpose of introducing themes.

- Marty Lund

Kunimatyu

First Post
I have prepared torches, pitchforks and a flight ticket to WA on that very off-chance.

I suspect Warlord will be a theme., so it's possible to have Barbarian Warlords, Fighter Warlords, Paladin warlords, etc. As long as it's possible to play an inspiring or tactical fighter, I'm happy.

mkill

Adventurer
I suspect Warlord will be a theme., so it's possible to have Barbarian Warlords, Fighter Warlords, Paladin warlords, etc. As long as it's possible to play an inspiring or tactical fighter, I'm happy.
Why not split the class and have a Warlord class and a Commander theme?

Warlord class has combat maneuvers that rely on teamwork, Commander theme has the initiative bonus, inspiring word and similar utility powers.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I agree with many of the above: its too much. Cheap(er) healing potions and maximized healing. Too much. At least at 3rd level. (max healing feels more like a capstone power, not a low level one).

But sure, the general thrust is ok. And I see adding it to other classes.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Given their comments about inflating hit points for the initial play test because monsters are unpolished, and other remarks about preferring to ramp something up initially, then tone it down once tested--I suspect that even the designers think the theme is currently a bit much. Of course, that is what testing is for. :)

Remove ads