• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E In terms of theme, tone, and spirit, I hope 4e . . .

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Total Emirkol laser beams = 1
Sorry, no.

There's another guard on fire in the picture. Who shot that other laser beam? The grassy gnoll?

Cheers, -- N

PS: "Emirkol is documented shooting laser beams in 100% of the illustrations depicting him."

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Someone in the art discussion mentioned production values, which led me to a practical thought: (oh, the horror!)

There *is* one thing that both 1e and 3e got right that 2e by and large did not, that being the books don't fall apart with repeated use. Let's hope any eventual 4e can keep to the 1-3 physical production standard...

As for the art, I've come to like a fair bit (but not all) of the 1e core art just by repeated viewing, while recognizing that it's by and large really not very good. Conversely, the core art in 3e in general probably *is* very good, I just don't like what it looks like. And I don't think I've seen a piece of Eberron art yet that has struck me as anything but outright ugly, even though it may technically be very well done.

But then, I *do* see the game as being based in Tolkein-ish medieval European fantasy and would like it to stay there. The posts above of the various 2e and 3e iconics side by side made me wish they could have been combined somehow...the 2e art's look and feel with the 3e art's sense of action and movement (well, except Mialee, who just kinda stands there). I want my wizards in pointy hats, and my knights in shiny metal armour...but I also want to see them doing something other than standing posing for a portrait. :)

One thing the 3e art has sadly lost is the sense of silly humour that sometimes showed up in 1e. I forget if it's in the 1e PH or DMG, but who else here remembers the picture of the +2 backscratcher? Classic, even if a dumb joke... :)

Lanefan

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Nifft said:
There's another guard on fire in the picture. Who shot that other laser beam? The grassy gnoll?
There are no living witnesses who can testify that my client set that guard on fire, your honor. My client was just riding by and decided to cast Emirikol's Ray of Fire Extinguishing, because he's a helpful citizen. I am appalled that you would cast aspersions on a good Samaritan, sir! Shocked and appalled!

Asmor

First Post
GreatLemur said:
Actually, a case could be made that the whole blond, detached, slightly effeminate badass thing he's got going on is a very anime trope. Could also be said that it's just a very elf trope, though.

Elves: The original Bishies

Hussar

Legend
Given the absolute immense number of pics in 3ed, how can anyone possibly say that they hate them all or that all of them look the same? There's 3e art that I love and 3e art that I hate. Same goes for every edition.

What's with the blanket generalizations?

Aus_Snow

First Post
Hussar said:
Given the absolute immense number of pics in 3ed, how can anyone possibly say that they hate them all or that all of them look the same? There's 3e art that I love and 3e art that I hate. Same goes for every edition.
Indeed. For that matter (and more pertinently, perhaps), how about the immense number of artists, and therefore styles in 3e?! To me, that pretty much shuts down the following, without even resorting to any other common sense or other reasoning:

What's with the blanket generalizations?
Ignorance and/or fanaticism, presumably.

HeinorNY

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Says who? There are plenty of soliders and SWAT team members who look a whole lot more like Trampier's dwarves than they do the Dungeons & Dragonball over-the-top characters being championed by some on this thread.

One of the toughest cops I know -- ex-LAPD, and the guy who very memorably grabbed a TV camerman's lens and slammed the camera to the ground, a scene that's been recycled in the movies for decades since -- has a big dwarf mustache and a very impressive belly. And he could still kick the crap out of folks half his age.

So what? You just made a point that fat people can be good policemen. I'm talking about fantasy character in a medieval setting, and considering the setting and the game as it is, how the characters would better reflect it.

Oh and SWAT also is a good example of my previous point. take a look

"2Edition" Swat
Swat-TCM.jpg

"3Edition" Swat
swat.jpg

Hey look!!! EVEN more buckles.!!

If the gear was realistic, it would have more precedents in history. A lot of the current D&D gear is unwearable or ridiculous.

And if Hennet's gear is realistic, it's realistic fetish gear at best. It's not practical for any other purposes.

Err.. obviously I meant realistic in a FANTASY setting. And how do you know Hennets clothes are not pratical? I've never had any experience with that kind of outfitt...

Well I'll rest my case, before I hear some more of the "turn down that hipthopt music you punk, my ears ache and I can't count my beans!" argument.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads