D&D 5E In your Years of Gaming, How many Psionic Characters did you See played

When I play/run D&D in any edition, I see psionic characters

• All the time. At least one per group.

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Pretty frequently. It wasn't rare in our games.

Votes: 42 17.3%
  • Not much and certainly less common than PHB classes.

Votes: 62 25.5%
  • Almost never.

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Nope. Didn't use psionics at all in my D&D.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • Lemony curry goodness.

Votes: 6 2.5%

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
So I come at this from a weird angle, having got in around 3E due to video games. Psionics were popular. First stand-alone custom class made for NWN, and the highest rated (although I can't find the page to see how many votes it got)? Psionics. That was popular enough that some people still seek out the exceedingly buggy attempted conversion of it to NWN 2. I'm a bit more clueless on the Infinity Engine games, but knowing the sheer absurdity that Baldur's Gate has been modded, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a psionic mod somewhere

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
NaturalZero said:
You know, I thought about things people never play and I realized that I've never, ever, ever, seen anyone play a halfling in the 20 years and countless random groups I've played in.
Same. And I've been playing on and off since the game was created...
I find this rather astonishing.

Have your players been 'replacing' them with Gnomes, or did they just not like playing short characters? :)

I find these things tend to come and go in waves. For example, I won't see anyone roll up a Half-Orc PC for years and then suddenly three of 'em pop up without any player co-ordination or pre-planning. Same for Monks: it's been ages since anyone brought one in so I'm kinda bracing for the upcoming ninja invasion... :)

I find this rather astonishing.

Have your players been 'replacing' them with Gnomes, or did they just not like playing short characters? :)

My general impression has been that people feel like they have nothing going for them except for being "less" than a human. Gnomes, on the other hand, are magical things from recognizable folklore.

I've definitely met a few women who were new to the game as of 5e who actually said something like, "short people? Gross."

I never saw halfing PCs until 5e, but now they are the most popular race. Players love that "lucky" feature.

I think having evocative or useful mechanics really helps a race or class for a lot of players. On topic, i never actually ran a psionic character my self until 4e, when they really let loose with the design concept that your character is fundamentally based in a power source instead of simply being a rechargeable battery that uses borrowed energy until you run out and become a commoner (old school wizard and psion).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases