D&D 5E In your Years of Gaming, How many Psionic Characters did you See played

When I play/run D&D in any edition, I see psionic characters

• All the time. At least one per group.

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Pretty frequently. It wasn't rare in our games.

Votes: 42 17.3%
  • Not much and certainly less common than PHB classes.

Votes: 62 25.5%
  • Almost never.

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Nope. Didn't use psionics at all in my D&D.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • Lemony curry goodness.

Votes: 6 2.5%

Aldarc

Legend
I would also add that I played a short-lived campaign in Dreamscarred Press's psionic Third Dawn Campaign Setting in its original True20 version, a psychic/seer adept in Blue Rose (the basis for True20), an Akashic/Mind Witch in Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved, and several psionic characters in Monte Cook's Numenera setting (i.e., Commands Mental Powers, Sees Beyond). So I am the sort of person who enjoys the sort of themes, aesthetics, and powers of that psionics often represents.

Oofta

Legend
Strangely enough, I probably play halflings as the most common race after humans. But never as the friendly stereotype halfling. Always as hunter killer fighters or thieves.

With 5e, the lucky trait just makes it all the better.

My halflings always end up being friendly happy-go-lucky hunter killers. Best of both worlds? :unsure:

delericho

Legend
We had, I think, one 2nd Ed Psioncist in a Spelljammer game, one 3e Psion in an Eberron game, and a handful of wild talents in 2nd Ed. We also played a few short-lived Dark Sun (2nd Ed) campaigns, where of course everyone is a wild talent.

These days, I'll only use Psionics in a setting built to include them - Dark Sun, Eberron, or one of my homebrew settings. Otherwise, they're a complication I don't need. (However, I do think they add something to Eberron and are pretty fundamental to Dark Sun, so I do think they need to be supported.)

Vael

Legend
My halflings always end up being friendly happy-go-lucky hunter killers. Best of both worlds? :unsure:

The only Halfling I ever played was a Halfling Vampire I played in 4e Organized Play, and yet I reskinned her to be a Human Child Vampire. I creeped out the rest of the table, it was one of my favourite PCs.

ETA: Which means, I have definitely played more Psionic characters than Halfling characters.

Excluding the golden times of youth, when we were all blessed with uncanny luck allowing us to roll Paladins and Psionicist with great consistency, I have seen... nearly none in play. And I have seen several druids or monks over the time. Can't speak of 4th ed because I eschewed this version of the game, but I don't think it would have been different...

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
You know, I thought about things people never play and I realized that I've never, ever, ever, seen anyone play a halfling in the 20 years and countless random groups I've played in.
I've seen a handful back in 1e/2e, but not since then. I only seen 2 gnomes, and 1 half-orc since '87. In that time, I've also seen only 2 bards (one in 3e, one in 5e), 1 barbarian 4 paladins (3 played by me in 2e), 3 druids, 1 assassin, and 1 illusionist compared to the 2 psioinc characters (both in 3e, one played by me) that have been in campaigns that I played in.

Hussar

Legend
If this curve of responses does actually mirror the larger hobby, and I'm certainly not saying that it does, it would explain why they aren't just coming out with psionic rules, but, rather a handful of "psionic classes" that might have a broader appeal. When 50% of your fanbase never uses some rule (or almost never uses it) basing an entire supplement on it seems like a bad idea.

Then again, what do I know? I've used a beholder maybe once in all the years I've gamed, and yet they remain hugely popular. Almost never use drow. And so on.

6+. That may not sound like much, but I've only seen 4 or 5 paladins, about 3 rangers, and I think 2 druids. If I tried to add up all of the others I think there would be other standard classes that also rated as low or lower.

So in other words, they have been pretty well represented.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
We had a few in 1e AD&D, several in Dark Sun but nowhere else because the psionic rules in that edition were such a pain, and then mainly NPCs in 3e (though that was the edition with the best all around psionic rules). Over the editions, our interest in it just kind of petered out.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases