• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Inheritances laws are changed so that regardless of gender the oldest child inherits, as a result a 15 old year boy lose's his inheritance

JMISBEST

Explorer
I've had a very plausible idea for Dnd and in case your wondering why I haven't listed the edition of Dnd I'll be using it in its because the intent is that with a few modifications the idea could be used in any edition of Dnd. What do you think?

A countries inheritances laws are changed so that regardless of gender the oldest child inherits, as a result a 15 old year that's the youngest of 3 children that because his older siblings were girls once stood to inherit the families lands and titles has now lost his inheritance

How angry would the 15 year old be that changes to his homelands inheritances laws have resulted in him going from inheriting everything his family owns to him inheriting nothing?

Zardnaar

Legend
Anything possible UK changed thrir inheritance laws but they didn't strip William.

Changing said laws traditionally has been difficult.

It's not much to do with D&D as such once again it depends on how that powers at be see the situation.

How angry the son is depends on if they wanted to rule anyway.

Thus is all on the DM and world-building.

Have you played the game Crusader Kings?

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
no so much the 15 year old as the other powerbrokers in the Court/government. For instance does the Church approve of the chnge, are there any old traditionlist who are against the idea of a female monarch? Are any of those opposed to the change willing and influential enough to stage a coup? can the 15 yer old boy be manipulated to become a pawn in the coup? What is is his relationship to his eldest sister? He could be resentful and angry, especially if someone is manipulating him or alternatively he could be quite happy withhis sister taking charge.

It does have lots of potential though

Clint_L

Hero
I've had a very plausible idea for Dnd and in case your wondering why I haven't listed the edition of Dnd I'll be using it in its because the intent is that with a few modifications the idea could be used in any edition of Dnd. What do you think?

A countries inheritances laws are changed so that regardless of gender the oldest child inherits, as a result a 15 old year that's the youngest of 3 children that because his older siblings were girls once stood to inherit the families lands and titles has now lost his inheritance

How angry would the 15 year old be that changes to his homelands inheritances laws have resulted in him going from inheriting everything his family owns to him inheriting nothing?
He might get pretty angry but it's hard to see this making him a sympathetic character, given that the law was changed to be less obviously discriminatory, so that would make this a tricky storyline unless the plan is for him to become a villain. Being upset that wealth or power is going from the haves to the have-nots is classic villain motivation (e.g. Sheriff of Nottingham).

Last edited:

Atomoctba

Adventurer
Another question is how the PEOPLE will see the law change. Most medieval cultures were pretty traditionalist and tended to hate changes of tradition. Of course, this does not need to be the case with your people in your campaign, but it is something you as GM must ponder if yes or no.

If the people does not like the change, can be pressure to the youngest male take his "rights" he wants it or not. If people simply does not care, it is up the youngest make his case if he wants the throne.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
We don't know the kid's circumstances and temperament, so this question is impossible to answer. If you had said "is this person angry" and nothing else, we only would be slightly better off.

A countries inheritances laws are changed
How was this done, and by whom, and why also matters

JMISBEST

Explorer
We don't know the kid's circumstances and temperament, so this question is impossible to answer. If you had said "is this person angry" and nothing else, we only would be slightly better off.

How was this done, and by whom, and why also matters
Since I'm hoping that other GM's will use my idea I decided to not choose who made the law change, rather I'd let The GM decide

JMISBEST

Explorer
Another question is how the PEOPLE will see the law change. Most medieval cultures were pretty traditionalist and tended to hate changes of tradition. Of course, this does not need to be the case with your people in your campaign, but it is something you as GM must ponder if yes or no.

If the people does not like the change, can be pressure to the youngest male take his "rights" he wants it or not. If people simply does not care, it is up the youngest make his case if he wants the throne.
Just because he was the heir to a title doesn't mean that the title was King

Remove ads