D&D 4E Inquiry: How do 4E fans feel about 4E Essentials?

Deekin

Adventurer
Re: Pointless class variants

D&D across all editions has historically been haunted by a concept I call 'now shut up' items.
The weird thing about the Bladesinger is that we already had the incredibly beloved Swordmage in 4e.
That is so totally not true...
While monks are an Ok class, they have issues with resource management, especially in the one deadly fight per paradigm that seems to dominate 5e actual play.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
4e's 4 (4!!!!) versions of playable vampires
I never really agreed with the criticisms of this. I mean, one of those IIRC was the Vryloka which isn’t even really a vampire, it’s a related but distinct concept, basically modeling a dhampyr rather than a playable vampire.

The class was bad because you had to hack it with hybrid rules to make it any good, and the couple feats were nice secondary ways to get a little bit of vampire without sacrificing whatever else the character was doing.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The weird thing about the Bladesinger is that we already had the incredibly beloved Swordmage in 4e.
And they could have so easily made an essentials style Swordmage.

The Bladesinger was actually really fun if you just let them use their “daily” powers as encounter powers. At least in heroic. The basic concept of the at-wills was good, it just kinda petered out into nonsense after that.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I wanted a striker variant Swordmage myself.
While monks are an Ok class, they have issues with resource management, especially in the one deadly fight per paradigm that seems to dominate 5e actual play.
They also have lots of flavor competing with function to use those resources

Remove ads