D&D 4E D&D 4E fans: what do you like about 4E?

Re: Scales of War
At one point I was able to run the first three adventures. This site was a ton of help fixing some of the plot issues:

I didn't hate Rescue at Rivenroar as much as most people but the dungeon is a tad long.
Siege of Borodin's Watch is a banger of a module. Would recommend.
Shadowrift of the Umbraforge works and is a neat location, but you have to really build up the bad guys in the first two adventures.

In a lot of ways the early part of Scales suffers from the some of the same issues that plague Paizo AP's. The BBEG of the whole thing is not clearly telegraphed. I think if I tried to run Scales again that's the one thing I'd do. Make sure the PC's know who they are tangling with. Let them sweat it out.

pemerton

Legend
I would say that Moldvay taught how to run the Moldvay edition of the game. So did the Mentzer version. The Rules Cyclopedia…eh.

I have the pdf of AD&D (1st edition), and I can’t tell you if it explains how to run D&D, because it is a challenging read, and I don’t care enough, at present, about running 1e to plow through it all.
I agree that Moldvay Basic has excellent GMing advice.

Gygax's DMG is not as good. The best explanation of how to play the game in Gygax's rulebooks is in the PHB under Successful Adventures. Working out how to GM requires reading that, together with the example dungeon in the DMG, and then reconstructing what approach to GMing would make something like the sample dungeon support something like the approach to play described in Successful Adventures.

If I weren’t so lazy, I would write my own adventure path.
Heroic Tier would look like a hex crawl in the Nentir Vale, but it with each new dungeon, the PCs find strange words written on walls or inscribed inside of magic rings. When assembled and placed in the right order, they spell out the name of the god known only as “He Who Was”, that Azmodeus killed. When they figure this out, they immediately learn that Azmodeus has become aware of who they are, and intends to destroy them.

Paragon Tier would have the PCs racing through the world, the feywild, the shadowfell, the Astral Sea, and the Elemental Chaos, desperately trying to outrun the forces of Azmodeus. Do they appeal to the other gods for help, or do they try to make a deal with the forces of chaos? In this tier, they learn that He Who Was allowed himself to be murdered, so that he could become the power behind the Primal Spirits that forced both gods and primordial out of the world, in order to protect it from being destroyed. At the climax of the paragon tier, they meet a resurrected but weakened He Who Was, who tells them that the present world has become extremely unstable, and commissions them to build a brand new world, to which mortals can escape.

In the Epic Tier, the PCs must take the knowledge they have gained and the contacts they have made to build this brand new world, and to also create a safe portal for mortals to travel there. In the process, they will have to invade the Nine Hells and overthrow Azmodeus, and restore He Who Was to his throne.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Heroic Tier would look like a hex crawl in the Nentir Vale, but it with each new dungeon, the PCs find strange words written on walls or inscribed inside of magic rings. When assembled and placed in the right order, they spell out the name of the god known only as “He Who Was”, that Azmodeus killed. When they figure this out, they immediately learn that Azmodeus has become aware of who they are, and intends to destroy them.

Paragon Tier would have the PCs racing through the world, the feywild, the shadowfell, the Astral Sea, and the Elemental Chaos, desperately trying to outrun the forces of Azmodeus. Do they appeal to the other gods for help, or do they try to make a deal with the forces of chaos? In this tier, they learn that He Who Was allowed himself to be murdered, so that he could become the power behind the Primal Spirits that forced both gods and primordial out of the world, in order to protect it from being destroyed. At the climax of the paragon tier, they meet a resurrected but weakened He Who Was, who tells them that the present world has become extremely unstable, and commissions them to build a brand new world, to which mortals can escape.

In the Epic Tier, the PCs must take the knowledge they have gained and the contacts they have made to build this brand new world, and to also create a safe portal for mortals to travel there. In the process, they will have to invade the Nine Hells and overthrow Azmodeus, and restore He Who Was to his throne.
Ready to start when you are!

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I made sure to grab them all before the online tools sub died.
Same
Re: Scales of War
At one point I was able to run the first three adventures. This site was a ton of help fixing some of the plot issues:
That link is gold. It only has suggestions up to the 13th module (19th-21st level), but even so it's great

I ran the first half of the first adventure for my sons way back in 2011 or something. They must have been tweens at that point or even younger. Then life and sports and etc pulled them away...

This is genius!!! Sign me up!!!!!!

overgeeked

B/X Known World

Sounds like you already did.

Dibs on a swordmage.

Remove ads