D&D 4E D&D 4E fans: what do you like about 4E?

The 4e Dungeon Master’s guide is a champion cow.

It begins with what the game is, and what the responsibilities of the DM are. It talks about the different types of players and what their goals are, and how to accommodate each of them. It talks about how to handle out of play conflict between players. It gives advice on how to prep whether one is pressed for time, or whether one has plenty of time. The types of monsters and how to use them in encounters, including group templates. How to build encounters. How to build adventures. How to build campaigns. There are a couple of pages that talk about different types of fantasy—from “sword and sorcery” to “Wuxia”. Templates for adding elements to existing monsters, and guidelines for creating one’s own monsters. Tips for building a fantasy world. The wonderful Nentir Vale setting, with tips on how to use it to create adventures. The excellent presentation of Fallcrest. A short adventure at the end. A page that can be copied and used at the table that has both PC and monster combat cards. A two-page spread bearing the image of a tiled dungeon floor—I photocopied this, taped the pages together, and got it laminated, and so now I have a “dry-erase battle mat”.

Last edited:

Retreater

Legend
Can I add something else?

So I plucked the Gamma World 7e box (the one based off D&D 4e) from the shelf because the teenager group wanted to try it. I haven't played (or even looked at it) in around 10 years.

It all came back: the movement, attacking specific defenses, combat advantage, measuring blasts and bursts in shapes that worked for a grid, movement measured in squares, Encounter and At-Will powers, second wind, bloodied, recharge rules, save ends, ongoing damage, Solo/Elite/Minion categories, Skirmisher/Brute/Soldier/Artillery/Controller descriptions, easy encounter building guidelines, etc.
The design is intuitive. I doubt there are many games I could come back to after a 10 year absence and be able to run it with minor hiccups AND teach it to new players so it clicks.

Being neck-deep in PF2 for over a year (and 5e for the past decade), I have really missed how well designed 4e is. For my tastes, it blows both of them out of the water when you compare Depth AND Ease of play.

I wish WotC hadn't killed it so early, or at least gave us the ability to keep it alive outside of the restrictive GSL. It's the only edition of D&D that can't be OSR'ed, can't be implemented on a VTT, can't be enjoyed by new fans without searching out of print bookstores. And it's a shame. Likely it's a reason I have such a grudge against 5e.

Retreater

Legend
The POD (softcover) of the DM Guide is available at dmsguild:

The PHB and MM are still PDF only, though.
Yeah, being unable to get print copies of Core Rulebooks is a real problem, especially when you want multiple table copies of player-facing books for looking up rules, character creation, etc.
Luckily, most of them aren't incredibly expensive on the secondary market (Ebay, Noble Knight, etc.) right now. I'm sure that will change as books get out of circulation. (If my experience with previous editions of D&D and retro video game collecting is any indication.)

I wish we had just one in-print version of 4e ... since there's something like 27 B/X clones on the market now.

Voadam

Legend
There was the possibility of hope at the end of the OGL fiasco when they mentioned they were looking at releasing old D&D rules as CC in the future as well as the 5e SRD, but I expect that would just be turning the 3e and 3.5 and d20 Modern SRDs into CC instead of 4e which had no ready to go OGL SRD (the 4e GSL's "SRD" is terribly crippled in comparison and would not really be useful on its own even if released as a CC). If they did either release the 4e rules by CC or OGL that would be huge.

POD on drivethru in the future if they ever cycle back to getting more old edition stuff into POD would probably be the best hope for new in print options.

In any case do not hold your breath.

Last edited:

Retreater

Legend
There was the possibility of hope at the end of the OGL fiasco when they mentioned they were looking at releasing old D&D rules as CC in the future as well as the 5e SRD, but I expect that would just be turning the 3e and 3.5 and d20 Modern SRDs into CC instead of 4e which had no ready to go OGL SRD (the 4e GSL's "SRD" is terribly crippled in comparison and would not really be useful on its own even if released as a CC). If they did either release the 4e rules by CC or OGL that would be huge.
Yes, it would be quite the challenge. Moreover, I don't see what they would have to gain by putting in the effort to release a CC version of 4e. At least in the case of 3.x/Modern they would be satisfying those who were concerned the past OGL would be revoked.
I'm guessing that WotC considers the "OGL Crisis" as water under the bridge now.
POD on drivethru in the future if they ever cycle back to getting more old edition stuff into POD would probably be the best hope for new in print options.
I'd take it! Sure, I'd love to get VTT support, new printings that incorporated errata, the return of D&D Insider's tools, and maybe even some new 3PP material.
In the meantime, I have to weigh the cost about trying to complete my collection through the secondary market "just in case."

Kannik

Hero
A couple more!

10. Effect based design. Which made for very easy reworking or re-RPing of elements. Like my dwarven runecaster, who was an artificer re-fluff. Everything he did, including what he got in his class, theme, background abilities, and powers, plus as well as the magic items he gained through treasure parcels (we were kind of doing an LFR game), were narratively handled through him scribing runes on himself, his own gear, his companion's gear, and many, many runic tablets. By the time we reached level 20 (when we retired the campaign) he was basically wearing stone scale mail with all the runic shards hanging all over his body. Very flavourful, very fun.
11. The rules compendium. Just frikkn' great. :)

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
The Wisdom of 4th Edition.
You can find it throughout the material when you least expect it. So much good and inspiring advice, much of which applies to any edition or game. For example:

"The last essential component of a D&D game is fun. It’s not the DM’s job to entertain the players and make sure they have fun. Every person playing the game is responsible for the fun of the game. Everyone speeds the game along, heightens the drama, helps set how much roleplaying the group is comfortable with, and brings the game world to life with their imaginations. Everyone should treat each other with respect and consideration, too—personal squabbles and fights among the characters get in the way of the fun.

Different people have different ideas of what’s fun about D&D. Remember that the “right way” to play D&D is the way that you and your players agree on and enjoy. If everyone comes to the table prepared to contribute to the game, everyone has fun." (DMG, pg 7)

I bet that would make an awesome thread. Just nothing but inspiring quotes from 4e material...

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The Wisdom of 4th Edition.
You can find it throughout the material when you least expect it. So much good and inspiring advice, much of which applies to any edition or game. For example:

"The last essential component of a D&D game is fun. It’s not the DM’s job to entertain the players and make sure they have fun. Every person playing the game is responsible for the fun of the game. Everyone speeds the game along, heightens the drama, helps set how much roleplaying the group is comfortable with, and brings the game world to life with their imaginations. Everyone should treat each other with respect and consideration, too—personal squabbles and fights among the characters get in the way of the fun.

Different people have different ideas of what’s fun about D&D. Remember that the “right way” to play D&D is the way that you and your players agree on and enjoy. If everyone comes to the table prepared to contribute to the game, everyone has fun." (DMG, pg 7)

I bet that would make an awesome thread. Just nothing but inspiring quotes from 4e material...
They really should have repackaged the 4E DMGs into a single volume and sold it as the 5E DMG. Even if no one bothered reading it, it would at least be filled with advice and actually teach people how to run D&D.

Remove ads