• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E [INTEREST/RECRUIT] - Crowns of Ice

Jago

Explorer
It was a combined effort of myself, Queenie, and Fenris actually, all writing out own characters. All I did was edit it together ^_^

Fantastic working with you all so far

Fenris

Adventurer
AB, I think an avian messenger would be great. My primary objection was to the use of the familair as a direct viewing experience at any range. It is the difference between getting a message that Astrid was kidnapped in a few hours, versus knowing exactly who took her and where. We where careful to not use names during the raid, so no one on the ship can use our names. Under tglassys plan, he would have seen Thorir's face. That prevents me from enacting any sort ruse or deception. Now as you said, our goal is to bring in into the fold. And that is what we are trying to do. there is a plan that will be communicated to Alec once he is on the island, but that does require to some extent a realistic limitation of knowledge.

tglassy

Adventurer
[MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION],

A, a bird can fly higher than you can shoot an arrow, unless you have a Sniper rifle I didn't see.

B, I thought of that, and I went with it anyway. I hadn't read the whole story, so I didn't know how far out you were.

C, I understand its an empathetic link. I also understand it's only a mile out. But there's nothing that says the master can't give a simple command, such as keep an eye on my daughter, and then have the familiar come back with a report, like "She's in trouble." I didn't say Alec knew it was happening as it happened. That's why the familiar had to go back to Alec, to warn him.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

tglassy

Adventurer
A red tailed hawk can fly at heights of 5500 feet and higher when migrating, and averages 30 to 40 mph, and a Viking longship typically went around 10 knots at the most, which was about 11.5 mph. So keeping up with the ship would be easy. It really just depends on how far out they were and how many days they'd been sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Jago

Explorer
What kind of RTH, African or European?

But in all severity, I'd imagine we're probably several miles out during the Raid: we'd probably not attack a ship in full view of a harbor. With that said, I'd say what we have though is fine: The Hawk takes off, maybe the crew takes a few shots at it but wind + small size + unsteady ocean has it get away. It sails back far enough on the ship we are sending back to Alec before racing ahead to impart its knowledge before that ship arrives.

Ship arrives, the crew tells an already-prepared Alec what has happened, he makes his final preparations and takes off. Meanwhile, our own ship has already had a good wind and was moving this entire time, putting us well ahead of pursuers. As the Hawk imparts only like feelings and emotions, it still cannot convey what Thorir and Eben (and even the crew overall) actually look like (though of course the survivors sent back probably could identify Thorir? Maybe?), and the chase is on.

Fair?

Jago

Explorer
I ... don't think we informed Einar. We couldn't have, we only have our ship and the captured ship. Alec if anything could order a messenger to be sent to Einar?

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Your ship would not have informed Einar, silly.

Astrid's ship would have. They were relatively close to port, I thought. So either Astrid's ship sailed there before turning around to go home, or like AB suggested, sent a raven to Einar. They might have sent ravens to both places, then sent the ship home to Viuland. I don't know. I guess that's up to Inge... is he in charge now that Astrid is off the ship?

Either way, no one on that ship would have known who took her, only "Isle of Heilgar, three days." I think lol

Sent from my iPad using EN World mobile app

Archon Basileus

First Post
If anyone wants to inform Einar, he'll be thankful, hehehe!

Seriously, though, I'm finishing my read today. It has become one of those series I can hardly wait to come out, only to see what comes next. :) Thanks for that, guys. You've rekindled my passion for writing all over again, hehehe.

I'll post an answer soon enough. I'm considering opening chapter one as negotiations resume.

Oh, Fenris, I got your objection, btw! Still, my bad, lol! I guess it's all sorted out, anyway! It works fine as well, since the meeting will have to happen in the island and no one can attack the others. At least, no PCs.... Oh, did I just say that out loud? I mean, no one can attack the others, nyahaha.

Archon Basileus

First Post
Well, I've read through it all. Twice.

:)

It's that ... good... and heartfelt... and good. And did I say how good it is?
It really got to me.

I tried to keep the same spirit as I posted at Alec's thread.

I thought it would be better to bring this line to a close with the revelation of Astrid's fate coming to a near. We could begin the first chapter as negotiations are conducted. You can post your preparations and orders as we close the prologues.

I studied the familiar's situation for a while. Since he can only communicate as far as a 1 mile radius, I had to make the boat return as the familiar returned with it as well. It anticipates the feelings as it falls inside Alec's 1-mile radius, meaning that the boat would be visible at a distance from the docks.

I also tried to give it a dramatic entrance. :)

Next I'm of a mind to post the island's arrival, since you guys gave me the queue. I'm working on it right now. :)

P.S.: after reading Astrid's and Eben's rendez-vous, as well as Thorir's reaction to it, I'm kind of melancholic. Now the strength of the characters seems very clear to me, as well as some stoic reaction from Alec. I gotta munch on it a bit more as I write, lol.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads