• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Interview with Scott Rouse, Chris Perkins & Bill Slavicsek

lurkinglidda

First Post
TitanGames said:
Part of the discussion in this article speculates that WotC may be in negotiation with someone other than Margaret Wies for the DragonLance license.

Which, I think is about the scummiest thing I have ever heard.

But, you know, maybe it's just me. But, Dragonlance without Margaret is like Frosted Flakes without Milk. Sure, you can still eat it - but, why would you?

We cannot discuss the dragonlance negotiations, including any speculations, at this point. Wish we could, but just simply cannot. :\

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Scott_Rouse said:
Wow I go a way for 24 hours and holy crap! Thanks for all the great comments.

Thanks for being the meat shield. I know you guys figured people would be upset about all this, but I doubt if you thought it would be this bad...

Anyhoo, one thing I wanted to ask about the DI is everyone has really been talking primarily about D&D here. Would the DI extend to other Wizards of the Coast brands that aren't D&D like Dreamblade and Magic?

Lastly, one more cool possibility with the DI is it would be a good portal from which to conduct a massive scale playtest for 4e. I doubt we'd ever see a playtest on such a grand scale, but figured I'd throw that into the pile as well. Personally, I'd love to give my feedback and help shape the game's next incarnation whenever it comes.

Hi all,

This question might sound a bit naive, but nonetheless I want to ask it. :eek:

In the interview, it was said:

Everything produced by Paizo under the license agreement is owned by Wizards of the Coast, with the exception of some of the cartoons and certain articles that use other people’s trademarks or copyrights.

So, does that mean that WotC can publish compilations of the magazine material, in concrete that we might see Adventure Path Compendia of Age of Worms or Savage Tide from WotC?

Yours,

Rafael

Last edited:

JVisgaitis

Explorer
labyrinth said:
It's standard practice in the software industry to continue support for an outdated version for between 5 and 7 years. And the last time I checked, the DI sure looked like software to me.

This is the D&D industry, not the software industry. And if you want to call the DI software, that's fine, but your comparing apples and oranges.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
M(r)s Weiss answered that question, as clear cut as can be...

Wizards chose not to renew our license. -Margaret
Posted at the Dragonlance.com Forums, on April 24.
That is the truth at best.

10) There is some suggestion that the Dragonlance issue isn't as clear cut as Margaret Weiss portrayed it -Morrus.

Last edited:

Khairn

First Post
labyrinth said:
It's standard practice in the software industry to continue support for an outdated version for between 5 and 7 years. And the last time I checked, the DI sure looked like software to me. The definition of "support" does NOT mean that new content should continue to be created - new content would logically be focused on 4e. However, continued access to all the old 3.5e material should be provided for many years after the cut-over. Providing continued access to existing web content is pretty much a no-brainer, so there's no good excuse for not providing this. If that can't be provided, it would be inappropriate to launch the DI until 4e comes out.

I agree that is what should happen when 4E is eventually unveiled. But from a business standpoint I really don't see them maintaining the "old and out dated" 3.5 programs. Simple word or pdf files ... sure. But if there any Campaign, GM, Player or Combat tools they wouldn't have the incentive to keep them operating ... not when they're trying to get folks to switch over to 4E.

That's only my look into the cracked crystal ball in front of me, your crystal ball may show something different.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I just have one thing to add to some of the great suggestions here:

If you call it DragOnline, I will pimp slap the lot o' you.

Seriously, gimmie something better than a pun. I'm sure there's a layer of the abyss specifically assigned to torment those who name products with puns. :p

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
I love the idea of Major Nelson. We have a guy on our staff who we've hired to be our "major nelson" and I think you'll be introduced to him next week

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Requirement:10 Years of Public Service Skills, please.
Scott_Rouse said:
I love the idea of Major Nelson. We have a guy on our staff who we've hired to be our "major nelson" and I think you'll be introduced to him next week

Remove ads