Introductory / Learning D&D Game For New Players (Denver, CO)

firesnakearies

Explorer
This post pertains to the Denver, Colorado area.

I'd love to run a new 4th edition Dungeons and Dragons game for people who haven't played before. The focus of the game would be on teaching the basics of the rules, roleplaying, group storytelling, character concepts, the general themes and iconic elements of fantasy gaming, and the principles of team-based tactical combat in an RPG. Everything about this game would be aimed at new players, even those who have never touched a tabletop roleplaying game in their lives.

The kinds of people I'd be looking for to play in this game would be, in descending order of priority:

- People brand new to roleplaying games in general.

- People with some roleplaying experience, but brand new to Dungeons and Dragons.

- People with some D&D experience, but brand new to 4th edition.

- People with a greater degree of RPG/D&D experience, but who have not played in quite some time.

- People who are experienced and active players, but would love to join in on an introductory campaign for the purpose of helping the new players, making it fun for them, and growing the hobby.

The pace of the game would be quite slow and relaxed, with lots of explanation, plenty of time for answering questions and just talking about the game, the characters, or roleplaying in general. Everything would start off very simple, and elements of greater complexity would be layered in gradually over time, eventually leading to a full, rich Dungeons and Dragons experience with a group of fully competent new players.

Games like this are fairly involved and challenging, and can be quite daunting for beginners. Especially in an atmosphere where most or all of the other players are already very experienced and have a great deal of knowledge about the intricacies of the game, and a new person is just sort of expected to "catch up". It can be intimidating, simply stepping into a group of veteran gamers as a newcomer, not understanding anything about the game but being thrust right into the middle of it and feeling lost and inept. Many RPGers take their hobby very seriously, and have little patience for new people, and a lot of Game Masters aren't especially interested in taking the time to really teach new players. I've been that guy myself, and seen the frustration in the inexperienced players, and watched some of them turn away and never play this sort of game again.

So, if you're one of those people who are curious about Dungeons and Dragons, or its latest version, or even roleplaying games in general, but feel like there's a bit too much barrier to entry for you, then something like this could be exactly what you've been looking for. Or maybe you've got a child or two whom you'd like to get into gaming (with you), but haven't found a GM who'd be willing to let you bring them to the table. I'd be happy to teach new players of all ages, though I don't know how well I'd do with very young kids, as I'm not a trained educator and have no children of my own. But I am prepared to be very patient with whomever comes, and my number one priority will be to ensure that everyone understands, and everyone has a good time.

I think I'd be aiming for a group of four to five players, six at the absolute most. Four might be best to start, as a smaller group seems more conducive to learning and keeping everyone involved. No one would need to purchase anything or bring any supplies, I'd provide everything needed. Times, dates, and location would all be completely negotiable, based on everyone's needs.

Does this sound like something that any of you would be interested in, or perhaps you have a friend whom you think this sounds perfect for? Let's talk about it!

Remove ads