Invisible Bull Rush

Galfridus

First Post
An Invisible character (let's assume Improved Invisiblity) Bull Rushes someone. Do characters in nearby squares get attacks of opportunity, even though they can't see the character?

chilibean

First Post
I would think in most cases no.

If bull rushing person made what is happening obvious in some other way, I might let him be subject to an AOO. To me the key word here is obvious. If it takes much of any thought to figure out what is happening, then they would probably miss their chance to act.

If the invisible guy yells "Odin!!!" as he charges, I think it's pretty obvious what is happening. But if there is just a little dust swirling on the ground as he passes, no.

herald

First Post
I'd say yes, under some conditions. If the opponents saw the attacker turn invisable and then the caster attacked, I would allow the attacks after the caster made the sucessful bullrush. This would imply that inititve was already rolled and there for surprise doesn't come in to play. (Remember that any attack has a 50% change of being inaffective against the invisable attacker.)

If the character doesn't know that there is a invisable attacker, I would say no because surprise is involved.

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
AoO says any area into which you can make a melee attack. It doesn't say anything about having to see the target or know that the target is there.

So I'd say, yes, you get to make an attack of opportunity. You still have to deal with the invisibility though (guess which hex the target is in, etc.)

EverSoar

First Post
I would say no. Unless the character makes it obvious that he is there. Then there is now way they could make an attack of opportunity at him cause they wouldn't know he is there.

Isn`t this case covered with the rules for beeing flat footed, the loss of your Dex Modifer and Attack of Oppertunities.

Against invisible Opponents you lose your Dex Modifier. I assume that you cannot make an Attack of Oppertunity when you lost your Dex Modifier, so in this special case you may not make any AOOs against the Invisible guy.
Maybe if the potential Attackers would ready an action to "Spot" or "Listen" the target they might get an AOO.
You could also rule that they may make an AOO, but - as usual with Invisible Attackers - they will have to locate the field they want to attack (If they do it with Spot - Depending on the underground -or Listen - yelling a battle cry is quite easy to hear - okay, but else: Roll a d8. :) And that is still very much ...)

Well, the interesting question really is - Can I get an AOO at all? (Even if I have to guess the field and take the 50% Miss Chance) With Combat Reflexes, I might allow it ...

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Against invisible Opponents you lose your Dex Modifier. I assume that you cannot make an Attack of Oppertunity when you lost your Dex Modifier, so in this special case you may not make any AOOs against the Invisible guy.

No - you cannot make AoOs while flat-footed. You lose your Dex bonus while flat-footed. This doesn't mean that you can't make AoOs any time you're denied your Dex bonus. Flat-footed is a special case.

Well, the interesting question really is - Can I get an AOO at all? (Even if I have to guess the field and take the 50% Miss Chance) With Combat Reflexes, I might allow it ...

I have a vague memory of the Sage saying that if an invisible opponent provokes an AoO, you can take it - but as you say, you have to guess the square and take the Miss Chance as normal.

What I don't really understand is how you know that invisible-boy is drinking a potion and thus provoking an AoO... I guess you can hear it :)

-Hyp.

Remove ads