(IR) Announcing a New Strategic Roleplaying Campaign of Epic Proportions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xael

First Post
devilish said:
Has anyone claimed the Valley of the Mage yet?
Well, Serpenteye suggested that I could claim it, but it's a bit off from my other areas. I could probably give it to you instead, though I don't know if it's some kind of ûber-valley of doom or something that-every-mage-must-have. I have no idea how valuable it is.

Last edited:

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Hmm...

Serpenteye, have you considered using the map again? I recall that being a big help in the 3rd IR, and it definitely wouldn't hurt.

Ah yes, the Pomarj... I remember that well. :)

Serpenteye said:
It would be great if you could join in as a player (any faction but the Lortmils). Show these young'uns how it's done . ;)

I might just do that... do you have a list of what's still available, other than the Lortmils? Though I doubt I could pull off what was done last time, I could try. :)

devilish

Explorer
Xael said:
Well, Serpenteye suggested that I could claim it, but it's a bit off from my other areas. I could probably give it to you instead, though I don't know if it's some kind of ûber-valley of doom or something that-every-mage-must-have. I have no idea how valuable it is.

Rats! I read :
>Perhaps Highfolk, The Valley of the Mage, Vesve Forest and The Yatils?
as
>Perhaps Highfolk, The Valley of the Mage, Vesve Forest or The Yatils?

Sorry, my bad!

What else is open?

Mr. Draco

First Post
Wow... I drop all the boards but the D20 System board for a long time, due to general business and college starting, and this evening I scroll down on the first page and find this in the "latest threads" collum.

What can I say but it's good to see you around again serpenteye, gw, lichtenhart, and knight otu!

Well, that, and I'm in :) I'm so definately in. Though I don't have any ideas at the moment for a faction. Serpenteye, what do you think would be interesting?

Serpenteye

First Post
Paxus Asclepius said:
It looks like the Crystalmists, Jotens, and Hellfurnaces would be good to seize. They're already populated with humanoids and giants (fodder for my caste-system breeding program), should be rich sources of mineral wealth (and, in the Hellfurnaces, enough geothermal power to eliminate the need for imported fossil fuels), and most importantly, are the sorts of dense, impossible terrain that renders superior firepower, whether legions of fireball-wand-carrying wizards or tank battalions, almost completely moot.

EDIT: Looking at the 3rd IR thread, I can see that even this is a tiny seizure. Consequently, I might as well snatch up the Griff and Raker Mountains, and the Dreadwoods, and crown myself king of the goblinoids of Oerik.

The Pomarj, Crystalmists, Jotens, Hellfurnaces, Griff and Raker Mountains and Dreadwoods are yours. You will be a a force to be reconed with Paxus. It's always good to hold the high ground. :)

devilish said:
Has anyone claimed the Valley of the Mage yet?

Would love to play!

-D

Welcome devilish! It seems we're beginning to get quite a good number of players here. (Though I'll still welcome plenty more people) I was a bit worried we'd be too few, but I think this will turn out well.

And yes, they have been claimed by Xael. If he wants to give it to you, though, it's yours.

What kind of faction would you want to play? What alignments would you want and would you prefer an specialized arcane faction over an industrial Imperial one? If you want to focus on magic, and don't mind being evil, I can throw in Acererak and his Tomb of Horrors and some of the other territories with plenty of undead (like the Cold Marches and Blackmoor). If you want to be good, then the Bakluni (a people similar to the ancient pre-moslem arabs) have a long magical tradition and a very big empire on the edges of the Flannaes. The Bakluni Empire is also close to the Valley of the Mage.

Xael said:

It's a pretty minor territory, relatively speaking.

GnomeWorks said:
Hmm...

Serpenteye, have you considered using the map again? I recall that being a big help in the 3rd IR, and it definitely wouldn't hurt.

Ah yes, the Pomarj... I remember that well. :)

I might just do that... do you have a list of what's still available, other than the Lortmils? Though I doubt I could pull off what was done last time, I could try. :)

I will definately use a map for this IR, if I can only find some site for it. It would be almost necessary to keep track of the game.

Ah indeed. The Pomarj... the only faction that was as treacherous as mine and Mr Draco's. :]

Most territories are still available. The Kevellond League, Greater Nyrond, The Suel Barbarians, to mention a few, as well as all the territories west of the Bakluni (who may or may not be unclaimed as well).

devilish said:
Rats! I read :
>Perhaps Highfolk, The Valley of the Mage, Vesve Forest and The Yatils?
as
>Perhaps Highfolk, The Valley of the Mage, Vesve Forest or The Yatils?

Sorry, my bad!

What else is open?

See above for some suggestions.

Mr. Draco said:
Wow... I drop all the boards but the D20 System board for a long time, due to general business and college starting, and this evening I scroll down on the first page and find this in the "latest threads" collum.

What can I say but it's good to see you around again serpenteye, gw, lichtenhart, and knight otu!

Well, that, and I'm in :) I'm so definately in. Though I don't have any ideas at the moment for a faction. Serpenteye, what do you think would be interesting?

Draco! :D Hey, it's really great to see you again. Long time no see. Welcome to the IR!
There's a lot of important factions still unclaimed in the Flannaes. The Lortmils are going to be big, as will the Kevellond League, the Bakluni and some of the Empires of the west; Lyrn, Celestial Imperium, The Khanates, Nippon, The Tarquish and Ishtarland. An alliance between a couple of them would be very powerful indeed.
(Generally, like it was in Edena's IR, territories in the Flannaes will be somewhat more valuable than territories of comparable size outside of the Flannaes, but the differences won't be nearly as great in this IR.)

Paxus Asclepius said:
Got any hints? And what exactly was done with the Lortmils?

They were Gnomework's faction, and one of the key factions in the Alliance of Oerth (The Good Alliance, which most of the players of the IR joined). Technology, everything from nano-golem-bullets to nuklear weapons, was their specialty. They were essential in securing the victory of Good in the 3rd IR.

Btw, It seems we're getting quite a bit more Evil factions than Good. Not a bad thing at all, since it will likely keep you from forming too many lasting alliances and make for a lot of intrigue and backstabbing. It should keep the game moving along nicely, but it will make things quite deadly for you.

We still need some heroes, though. Some powerful forces of Good to hold back the tides of Evil, a beacon of light in the darkness. I'm not playing any favorites, Evil has its advantages as do Good, but it would make things more interesting.

Last edited:

Eluvan

First Post
Since it seems like as an infiltrator my faction is goign to work rather differently, should I still be looking at allies? I ask because I've been thinking that I'd really like soem fiendish support. I think my character himself will be a half-fiend rogue/telepath/shadowdancer/assassin, with links to the Devils through his ancestry.

I'm viewing him at the moment as very much the focus of my game - the organisation under him will be a useful tool, but only one of many he will use. He's definitely out for number one, and he manipulate shis own organisation when it suits him. Ideally, I'd like to aim for godhead with him.

What do you think? Possible?

Serpenteye

First Post
Eluvan said:
Since it seems like as an infiltrator my faction is goign to work rather differently, should I still be looking at allies? I ask because I've been thinking that I'd really like soem fiendish support. I think my character himself will be a half-fiend rogue/telepath/shadowdancer/assassin, with links to the Devils through his ancestry.

I'm viewing him at the moment as very much the focus of my game - the organisation under him will be a useful tool, but only one of many he will use. He's definitely out for number one, and he manipulate shis own organisation when it suits him. Ideally, I'd like to aim for godhead with him.

What do you think? Possible?

Very possible.

Adding additional territories to your faction would probably not be a good thing. For one, it would "put you on the map" and therefore make you more vulnerable since it wouldn't make you strong enough to deterr a determined attacker. It would also dilute the purpose and flavour of your faction since you would spend more time fighting conventional wars than on cloak and dagger stuff. I think a better alternative would be to simply give your organization a bit more power. It can be inflitrating a number of territories to varying degrees at the beginning of the game and would gain a considerable income from that.

The main prerequisite for becoming a God is to be known and worshiped by a great number of sapient beings. This might be a problem for your PC if he prefers to be a hidden manipulator, but there may be ways around that...

Paxus Asclepius said:
That is a good point: are we going to have selections of planar allies, as was done in the 3rd IR?

There will be a limited number of planar forces already in the crystal sphere of Oerth at the beginning of the game, a number not far from that in the official setting. So a part of your faction can certainly be diabolic or demonic, celestial or something else. Many of the factions, if they want it, can have a limited number of outsiders under their control. Some factions, like Iuz and Ahlissa who have significant outsider precense in the core setting, can have a greater number (but still rather limited). Fiends can be rather tricky, though, and it's not wise to put too much trust in them. ;)

In the very beginning of the IR there will be an influx of fiends into the setting, refugees carrying the secrets of technology to Oerth. They won't be assigned to factions at this point, but they will be significant. Just after they arrive, though, the Crystal Shpere (and the coterminous regions of the Ethereal and Astral planes) will be closed off for a time as the Gods seal it away out of even their own reach to protect it against something Big and Evil from the Outside. After that point, until either you or the Big Evil finds a way to break trough the seal and find your way back to the Multiverse, there will be no more arrivals of planar forces of any kind.
I do this for reasons of focus and game-balance, to get rid of the Deities who would otherwise be predominant and to keep the story on Oerth and Oerthians, at least until the later stages of the game.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads