IRON DM 2021 Tournament

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
That sounds like a story worth elaborating on!
I actually recorded the whole campaign (played online) via Roll20. I was only one with a camera and audio had some issues here-and-there, but think I have the videos somewhere on my backup hard drive; could dig it up and put it all up next week if anyone is interested. Whole campaign is 12ish sessions I think.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
So, finally, some time to write a commentary on my post. And I have several questions regarding the English language. I understand it may be weird to ask questions about it in literary competition, but I seem to have some misunderstanding about the use of some 'features'.

I quoted bits and pieces of IronSky judgment, I'll add others as I come to them.

Uh oh. Right of the bat, I had to hunt for the title. Not bolded, not capitalized. First impressions matter and the first impression this gives is something rushed.
I wrote it in about an hour, sorry about that. I guess my punishment is that I didn't pass into the finals. Monday evening I had 3 different scenarios, this one was most compelling.
1. Save the friar: The court in three meanings in this one: judicial court, fey winter court, and kingdoms court.
2. Fey warlock pretending to be a vampire
3. A wizard scholar so focused on his research he moves his urges and emotions into homunculi- so salacious comes just like in this one, but the one looking for help is "innocence". The real bad guy is female apprentice, the wizard doesn't really notice anything around himself including her and she wants power NOW.

"free the innocent friar" what innocent friar? "The" implies we already know who it is. "An"?
So, Question 1:
THE vs A(N) - my understanding is that "THE" represents a specific thing (not a specific KNOWN thing) - so I used it like THE sorcerer, THIS one, in this story. Not just any sorcerer. Why is that wrong? I mean, obviously, you don't know YET who it is, but it is THE sorcerer.

Atlantes needs the children to rejuvenate what? His urges were pushed into a construct? Or are there plural constructs since there's no "a" before "minor construct". What city?
The sorcerer rejuvenates HIMSELF. Why is this wrong? The sentence runs something like The sorcerer (the subject) does something (a verb) to the kids (objects) in order to rejuvenate (another verb) - but this one works without qualifier so it works on the subject...doesn't it?

"[a] wicked grin [that] people... describe as vaguely familiar"? Or are they "wicked grin people"
is [that] important within the context? Or it is just with your lexical hat on? In my native language, it is not needed (but can be added as you did)

Explanation of all the things missing in the writing:
  • trap for the salacious homunculus using young ladies because I'm straight and when thinking about lusting after someone it is female. With too little time, I couldn't re-read and recognize the error
  • the homunculus knows what sorcerer knows, thus he can be a source of information regarding the ritual
  • in the writeup, I mention that soulless bodies of boys fight against the PCs - NOT undead (yet) - if PCs subdue them, souls from the gems have functional bodies to return to
  • without holy-water-doused homunculus, the void will not destroy the sorcerer
  • without SOME kind of holy damage the void will start spreading
  • the ritual circle is the thing preventing the void from spreading and at the same time it channels stolen life force into the sorcerer
  • the information could be found in the books (research) in that same room - or through the homunculus
  • nobles and functionaries appearing in the monastery are from kingdoms court, in preparation for kings arrival

I think that is all. Someone commented I should have passed the deadline. I would...if that thought ever crossed my mind. But I think that way I would struggle with the word count since several things went unsaid.

Rune

Once A Fool
Someone commented I should have passed the deadline. I would...if that thought ever crossed my mind. But I think that way I would struggle with the word count since several things went unsaid.
It’s worth pointing out that some past (and possibly future) judges (particularly those who use a point-based criteria for judgement) would impose an additional point-loss penalty.

But even so, it might be worth the risk in some cases.

Of course, the 1-hour match will have no such leniency.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
So, finally, some time to write a commentary on my post. And I have several questions regarding the English language. I understand it may be weird to ask questions about it in literary competition, but I seem to have some misunderstanding about the use of some 'features'.
I've just been following the competition--it's not at all how I GM, but it's interesting because of that--but I can answer the grammar questions.
So, Question 1:
THE vs A(N) - my understanding is that "THE" represents a specific thing (not a specific KNOWN thing) - so I used it like THE sorcerer, THIS one, in this story. Not just any sorcerer. Why is that wrong? I mean, obviously, you don't know YET who it is, but it is THE sorcerer.
Yes. Definite article vs. indefinite article. I haven't re-read your entry (sorry) but the problem may be more that the person commenting hadn't seen the existence of any sorcerers established, let alone that there was exactly one.
The sorcerer rejuvenates HIMSELF. Why is this wrong? The sentence runs something like The sorcerer (the subject) does something (a verb) to the kids (objects) in order to rejuvenate (another verb) - but this one works without qualifier so it works on the subject...doesn't it?
While rejuvenate can be an intransitive verb--one that doesn't need or use an object--I think it is more commonly used as a transitive one--a verb that needs and uses a direct object. This might especially be the case if there are multiple plausible things to be rejuvenated in the sentence. English is a weird language.

Wicht

Hero
So, Question 1:

The question here is not actually a grammar question, but rather concerns clarity in writing. Grammatically, there is nothing inherently wrong with the sentence that raised the comment, but presentation wise, it is jarring.

As well, the problem here is not an English specific problem, because if it was in Spanish, I would see the same jarring discordant note in the sentence.

The line, "PCs need to stop a mad sorcerer/fey warlock Atlantes and free the innocent friar," would read more clearly if it was, "The PCs need to stop a mad sorcerer/fey warlock Atlantes and free an innocent friar." The initial, "the," in the edited sentence makes it clear that we are not concerned with just any old PCs, but specifically the PCs who are running through the adventure. This is a minor point. The second edit is more important for the smooth flow of presentation. By having "the friar," when presenting an initial overview of the world, you make it sound like there is only one friar at all, or a least only one who is innocent. By replacing, "the," with "an," you make it clear that there is more than one friar in the world, but that there is one in particular that the PCs will be interested in, that he is falsely accused and needs to be free.

Later, in the presentation, when the particular friar is introduced something like, "The monks at the monastery assigned one of their own, brother Matthias to investigate." After, he can then be, "friar Matthias," "Matthias," "the investigating monk," or even later, "the falsely accused friar."

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
What @Wicht and @prabe said.

Using "the" before you establish that there is an individual we should be focused on made me think I'd missed something since I knew of no specific individual. After they are introduced, referring to Matthias as "the monk" or Atlantes as "the sorcerer" makes sense in context.

Rune

Once A Fool
For what it’s worth, @Neurotic, I have found everything you’ve written prior to the round 2 entry very easy to understand – to the point that I can not tell if you do not speak English natively.

The difficulty in parsing that entry seems to me obviously a byproduct of it’s hasty writing and the lack of time to edit, rather than a lack of understanding of how the language works. I’ve seen many rushed entries from native speakers that presented similar difficulties.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I'm with you @Neurotic. I had no problem reading your entry and given both the genre of writing and the medium, some of those criticisms come off as unnecessarily picky. But IRON DM judges also judge harshly, that is part of the schtick (I should know, I started the tradition!), and you have to accept whatever criteria an individual judge feels is important.

Rune

Once A Fool
Round 3, 3rd-Place Match: el-remmen vs Neurotic

@el-remmen and @Neurotic, you have 1 hour (until 5:30 PM EDT) to post your entries to this thread, using the ingredients provided. You do not have a word-count limit, but all ingredients must be used and judges are free to penalize late entries as they see fit. Please do not edit your post once you submit.

Ingredients
Fools Rush In
Mecha
Weapon in Waiting
Fading Dreamscape
Feast of Fools
Magical Workshop

Remove ads