Iron Heroes...what's your opinion?

JohnSnow

Hero
Sorcica said:
One could use strain a la Psychic's Handbook instead of tokens. That way, the Armiger would have plenty of tokens to use, and some rules for the fast recovery from strain would keep the 'usable per encounter' scheme.

Hell, all of the IH token abilities could use strain.

Except it would have to be renamed. Iron Heroes already has 2 mechanics called "Strain." In IH, strain is temporary damage (to hit points, ability scores or ability checks) that the character suffers under certain conditions. One of its effects is to simulate the mighty hero (Conan, say) pushing his strength to his uttermost to accomplish a great feat, in exchange for taking hit-point damage from muscle strain. Other ability scores take penalties - Con goes down, etc.

However, Arcanists who exceed their mana limit also suffer strain. In this case, strain is temporary ability score damage to all their ability scores equal to their negative mana. Personally I think this is a bit excessive, but it reminds me of the control (temporary Con damage) that FFG put on Channelers in Midnight.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
wingsandsword said:
Go with WP/VP instead of Reserve Points.
Wound/Vitality Points makes combat more deadly. This is not, I think, appropriate for Iron Heroes.

I like the idea of using the magister - those who have considered this option, give me your advice: would you bump up their saves to +1/level? Would you remove healing and similar effect-removing spells from the game?

nharwell

Explorer
mhacdebhandia said:
Wound/Vitality Points makes combat more deadly. This is not, I think, appropriate for Iron Heroes.

I like the idea of using the magister - those who have considered this option, give me your advice: would you bump up their saves to +1/level? Would you remove healing and similar effect-removing spells from the game?

I would definitely boost the saves -- all PC classes should follow the standard chart (p. 29). I'd use the same for feats and make hit point 1d4+2. I don't the magister's healing magics are that big a deal (it's much weaker than a clerics, for ex.), but if you're concerned just use the Transfer Wounds spells and drop the Battle Healing spells (or make them Exotic, if you're keeping the simple/complex/exotic division).

Will

First Post
I am not quite finished reading IH, but I love it. It follows some lines I was thinking about with lower magic fantasy.

Oddly, the one thing I don't like... while I think the classes are really neat, I find them... dense. Maybe I'm strange, but I'd almost rather have something simpler. Though perhaps it's simply familiarity at work.

But I _adore_ the skills and feats.

Magic... meh. Honestly, even if he did have it polished well, I probably still wouldn't like it; I have very particular ideas on what low fantasy mages should be like.

Will

First Post
Oh, question... I found it a little odd that highborn and religious background (forget the name) were background traits; that is, you can't have both a noble title and a religious title.

Did that strike anyone as odd?

Will said:
Oh, question... I found it a little odd that highborn and religious background (forget the name) were background traits; that is, you can't have both a noble title and a religious title.

Did that strike anyone as odd?

Yes. I think "you cannot have more than one background trait" should be "you cannot have more than one background trait without GM approval."

MI

Bagpuss

Legend
Well historically it tended to be you gave up any worldly title when you joined a religious order so personally I have no problem with only being allowed one.

Kaos

First Post
Bagpuss said:
Well historically it tended to be you gave up any worldly title when you joined a religious order so personally I have no problem with only being allowed one.

It's not as common, but sometimes one's worldly title gave one a religious ordination as well.
(Particularly with concepts of divine rights...)

Selganor

Adventurer
Wouldn't this sort of special exception be part of the setting you're playing and therefore be written in the "house rules" section of your setting, so there's no need to put that in the "main" rules.

Remove ads