• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iron Man 2, Thor announced for 2010

Felon

First Post
Staffan said:
You might want to reconsider using Superman Returns as an example of a superhero movie that worked.
How about Batman Begins? Pretty much unknowns all around. Christian Bale's only claim to fame up until that point was in American Psycho.

Felon said:
How about Batman Begins? Pretty much unknowns all around. Christian Bale's only claim to fame up until that point was in American Psycho.
I remember Bale from Equilibrium, Shaft and Reign of Fire, and I heard a lot of good about the Machinist (didn't saw it yet, though). I am not sure if he was a big name before Batman Begins, but he wasn't entirely unknown, and he definitely has established himself as a good actor already.

Felon said:
Well, there you go. You've figured out how to make an unknown in the role of Captain America work. Pick an infamous character to play the villain (and I'm not certain that the Red Skull would be ideal as that villain).

Yep, this. :)

Also, I'm not demanding someone who's a complete unknown; just someone who's not all that well known. (The Bale as Batman example above is a good one.)

The other absolute requirement for a Captain America movie is that at least 1/3 of it, and preferably more, take place during WWII.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I am wondering what Captain America's and Thor's outfit will be like. Will they stay true to the comics or go their own way like in X-Men.

Oh, and for Batman Begins, the villain was also well know actor; Liam Nesson. Also Michael Caine as Alfred, other well-known actors in it; Morgan Freeman, Katie Holmes, Cillian Murphy (was sorta famous by then, and he was also a villain) and finally Ken Watanabe (minor role).

Last edited:

At least part of the Cap movie definitely has to be in WWII...I'm okay with only the first part, though, but no matter how much of it is in that time, I think it is basically a requirement that we see Cap deck Hitler.

Felon

First Post
Brown Jenkin said:
For Cap I think they could go with either Brad Pitt or Matt Damon and pull it off.
Brad Pitt's too tiny to fill out a superhero uniform (unless it's Robin). Also, he'll be pushing fifty by 2011.

Now, Matt Damon would probably be able to land the role if he wanted it. The Bourne movies have him cemented as an action hero, and we're kind of lacking in that department these days.

I can only take consolation in the fact that Affleck has already played Daredevil, thus denying him the chance to screw up Cap.

Felon

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
I remember Bale from Equilibrium, Shaft and Reign of Fire, and I heard a lot of good about the Machinist (didn't saw it yet, though). I am not sure if he was a big name before Batman Begins, but he wasn't entirely unknown
He was entirely unknown to most folks. All of those movies you cite played to small audiences. Heck, even you didn't see one of'em. :cool:

Felon

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
Oh, and for Batman Begins, the villain was also well know actor; Liam Nesson. Also Michael Caine as Alfred, other well-known actors in it; Morgan Freeman, Katie Holmes, Cillian Murphy (was sorta famous by then, and he was also a villain) and finally Ken Watanabe (minor role).
What's your point? The topic of discussion was putting someone who's not a big name actor in the lead role, so I'm not sure why folks started rattling off who was in the rest of the cast of the Batman and Superman movie. Nobody said the entire Cap movie had to be populated by unknowns.

Besides that...Cillian Murphy? Ken Watanabe? I'm more of a movie buff than most folks, and I barely know who those guys are. Batman Begins was not a movie that was promoted on the strength of its supporting cast. It was promoted on the strength of the IP.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Felon said:
Pick an infamous character actor to play the villain (and I'm not certain that the Red Skull would be ideal as that villain).

To be honest, I'm not certain he'd be the best choice either, but as far as iconic Captain America villains go, his Rogues Gallery isn't exactly the most interesting or colorful. He's always been so closely tied to the Avengers that it's kind of hard to find someone to match him up against on his own, IMO.

I could possibly see something like using Kang and playing with the whole "Man Out of Time" notion, what it means to be the embodiment of the American Dream (as a concept that exists in a timeless fashion from the trends of the moment in Present/Past/Future America), even though Kang himself is more of an Avengers villain.

Otherwise, what do you have? Faustus, but he doesn't provide much in terms of a physical challenge to Cap. Arnim Zola, whose backstory is far more complicated than it's probably worth. Baron Zemo (either one), but if you use Heinrich, you might as well use the Red Skull. Helmut could be interesting, though, if you use Heinrich in the WWII part of the story and Helmut in the present.

Flag-Smasher, possibly, as Cap vs. the terrorist Ultimatum organization. Or Viper, possibly.

Can't really think of anyone else offhand that could really do the movie justice though.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Felon said:
He was entirely unknown to most folks. All of those movies you cite played to small audiences. Heck, even you didn't see one of'em. :cool:

Hm. Not sure he was as much of an unknown as that. I was first familiar with him from American Psycho, but he'd definitely been on the radar for a long time- and the female populace, at least, I think was quite familiar with him. Christian Bale has been a huge heartthrob for ages now.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads