• Binary Darkvision (no separate low-light) is Good

Votes: 31 39.7%
  • Binary Darkvision (no separate low-light) is Bad

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • No Option for Darkness as Bright Light is Good

Votes: 43 55.1%
  • No Option for Darkness as Bright Light is Bad

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I WILL NOT BE CONTAINED! (explain in thread)

Votes: 8 10.3%

R_J_K75

Legend
AD&D "infrared" caused a headache in so many ways (can I see the invisible person's footprints, does hiding behind a rock defeat my vision, etc.). While infrared is more realistic, Darkvision simplifies it much in the way a pair of military grade Night Vision goggles might do. "I see everything, but only to a certain distance similar to my normal vision and only in black & white." It's in no way at all based on physics (night vision tech amplifies some existing light source to make it appear black and white, or greenish, and D&D Darkvision can exist with ZERO light), but it is a simple rule.

With that said, I did like playing the AD&D infrared spectrum. Players looked for ways heat signatures would come into play, and any time players are putting on their thinking caps, the game usually gets better.

Knew I wouldn't have to look far down the thread before this was addressed. I think darkvision is the better alternative.

I think darkvision is fine as it is and see no reason to change it or remove it. This includes the rules for how it works though. If you ignore the drawbacks and just let darkvision works without penalty then it may be too good. But people houseruling darkvision to not give the penalty in the dim light is not the fault of the darkvision rules.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't recall it ever really coming up. Either everybody has dark vision (in which case we just ignore it and everybody can see all the time) or only some have, so half the party has lanterns (in which case we just ignore it and everybody can see all the time).

R_J_K75

Legend
I cordially detest Darkvision in all it's forms. I might be talked around to low light vision in the mold of amplifying existing light, but only maybe. The reason I detest darkvision is because I would prefer the whole party to have the same spendable resources. I want them to need torches or lanterns when they explore underground. I also find mixed parties annoying, as a DM and as a player. Who needs light, who doesn't, who can see what when and before whom. Blech. Mostly though it's because I want the party to fear getting trapped in the dark. I'm probably in the minority though, I'd imagine.

This is how I feel as well and I just went through this a session or two ago. After it was all said and done I told myself never again unless its a very pivotal situation. I don't even bother with torches, lanterns, darkvision, cantrips that emit low levels of light or moon light 9 out pf 10 times. I just assume as the DM that in most cases the PCs are taking necessary pains to see in the dark and if I think its warranted than I'll award surprise to one side or the other based on the current circumstances. If the players want to throw a fit then they best beware of aware of a Spectral Moe Howard eye poke.

Nebulous

Legend
I cordially detest Darkvision in all it's forms. I might be talked around to low light vision in the mold of amplifying existing light, but only maybe. The reason I detest darkvision is because I would prefer the whole party to have the same spendable resources. I want them to need torches or lanterns when they explore underground. I also find mixed parties annoying, as a DM and as a player. Who needs light, who doesn't, who can see what when and before whom. Blech. Mostly though it's because I want the party to fear getting trapped in the dark. I'm probably in the minority though, I'd imagine.
I don't know if you're minority or not, from the DM perspective. I hate darkvision for the same reasons you do. It's so good, a PC is at a disadvantage not to have it. And worse, players don't normally consider what darkvision actually looks like at the table; it's very dim, it's disorienting, it's limiting, and it's not something they would want to deal with long term (such as an endless underdark crawl). You would WANT bright light in many cases, but it's difficult to imagine at the table what sixty feet of diminishing light actually looks like.

DAwoJTa.jpg

The players have no idea they're looking at a bunch of troglodytes, it's just too dark to tell.

jasper

Rotten DM
AD&D "infrared" caused a headache in so many ways (can I see the invisible person's footprints, does hiding behind a rock defeat my vision, etc.). While infrared is more realistic, Darkvision simplifies it much in the way a pair of military grade Night Vision goggles might do. "I see everything, but only to a certain distance similar to my normal vision and only in black & white." It's in no way at all based on physics (night vision tech amplifies some existing light source to make it appear black and white, or greenish, and D&D Darkvision can exist with ZERO light), but it is a simple rule.

With that said, I did like playing the AD&D infrared spectrum. Players looked for ways heat signatures would come into play, and any time players are putting on their thinking caps, the game usually gets better.
True Infravision kept changing as tech and movies changed. In high school it was just the body that glowed, and some the torches. Then A movie or two came out with the monster following some one foot prints and seeing hand prints.

Fanaelialae

Legend
A light cantrip in a dark cave is an 80-foot glowing "I AM HERE" sign. Darkvision is not.
That's only the case if everyone in the party has darkvision (which almost never happens IME) or special circumstances (the rogue with darkvision is scouting ahead). Otherwise, someone has a light source regardless of who has darkvision (I suppose you could force the non-DV characters to walk blindly, but we've never done that as it would be very counterproductive should the party be attacked).

Sure, darkvision is better than the light cantrip, but that's missing the point. My point was that both allow you to circumvent the need to manage light resources. In that respect, light is actually preferable. Light enables the party to disregard management (although it's always good to have a backup) whereas darkvision only works for the individual.

Remove ads