• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is 5e "Easy Mode?"

GoT was a politics heavy game. If you wanted your 5th level game to be that. Then focus less on combat and more on role-play and intrigue. As long as you have player buy in to that there should be no problem and fit you bill as fighting abilities and magic doesn't matter so much in role-playing nobles sipping tea while plotting against each other. I personally would not play that style of game. If we don't get a minimum of 4 combat encounters in I feel bad. I like adventure gaming not amateur acting classes. I say that not to be rude as again I do think role-playing is an important element of the game, and if the PCS have fun cool. My point is, GoT is mainly political intrigue and social interaction and in D&D those things are largely independent of class abilities, etc for the most part.
I'm not a fan of amatuer acting classes either.

I was referring to the power level of the characters in GoT vis a vis combat capability and physical capability, not anything to do about the politics of the books. Last time I checked, when Jon Snow had to fight the white walkers, he didn't sprout luminescent wings, fly into the air, and shoot fire beams out of his eyes.

No. If the DM is making encounters and not paying attention to the ECL level and throws deadly encounters on the regular that is squarely the DMs fault. The game is built around a certain default level and to make the Pc the heroes via their abilites and to expedite the number of encounters that take place in a game. Unlike in previoius editions encounters in 5E should move fast at all levels of play. The encounters and monster challenges are designed not from the perspective of how easy the monster is to kill but rather how much damage that monster can do to a PC. Even if a monster has relatively low HP if it puts out a decent amount of damage via abilities like pack tactics, etcetera that monster can very quickly over power a party. The difficulty levels are labeled for a reason. The DM determines the difficulty level. Outside of extremely unlucky rolls if the every encounter is difficult and PC dies due to consistently deadly encounters the fault is rightly the DMs.

This confirms my point relating to the fundamental differences in expectations I often have with 5E.

I don't want a play a D&D game where the default is to make the PCs the heroes via their abilities. That sounds like there is a expectation of the PCs should always win and never fail. It also seems to state an expectation where the character's abilities are what is important.

My character isn't a hero just because I created it. My character might become a hero if it does heroic acts in the face of adversity in challenging environment. My character might also die in a pit trap in the dark dungeon and be forgotten.

How well I play the game will determine which fate will come to pass.

I would say OSR games are more like Pabst blue ribbon. Something that was good enough to get by at one time but still appreciated by a crowd trying to be hip based on nostalgia of what the beer was :D:D. Seriously, I would never completey diss ole Pabst but the hipsters drinking it like they were the Bruce Sprinstein working class cracks me up but on that I will digress!
PBR, really?!? I thought they all moved on to Carling Black Label.

The beer analogy is silly and your dig at nostalgia and that it is a hipster fad is also silly.

The only way character deaths really don't happen that frequently in OSR games if characters are playing it more like survival horror vs fantasy, which is okay in Call of Cthulhu but in D&D I want heroic Sword and sorcery fantasy ie cinematic action, larger than life heroes.

It's all about preference. You prefer heroic larger than life cinematic action. I don't.

I prefer a more realistic approach to the game. I don't want superheroes in D&D, I want mortal level characters. I want to have my success at the game be based more on the choices I make as a player as opposed to the powers my character has on the character sheet.

You call that survival horror and akin to playing Call of Cthuhlu, I call that playing D&D.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Oops you listened at one too many doors and some bug drilled a hole in your head too bad so sad you made a bad choice.... if you cannot teleport to safety... because only casters get to be awesome the rest have to avoid combat because cowardice is the only way to survive and if you arent at constant risk of that your game is just "shoots and ladders" - I mean easy mode.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Obsession with recovery AND hit points equal meat rears its pretty little head all over again
How long does it take for luck to come back... shrug no clue. But if the the abstraction is killing you I think people should investigate games like RuneQuest. Where yeah hitpoints don't represent heroic vague mostly not physical things.
There is also the fact that spells & abilities are tuned to be doled out across 6-8 encounters so a world more rich in things like politics, intrigue, laws, & civilization it's problematic that the nova capabilities of 5e cut through all of it with a nova to just kill everyone who might be in the way of your goals. It's made worse because so many of the dials & weaknesses are gone as @Monayuris mentioned earlier in post 281 . Back in 3.5 for example, if 5th level Alice decides to circumvent negotiations with a fireball at a frenemy, they can just interrupt the spell by throwing their wine glass at her because the dc was 10+damage+spell level while in 5e it's 10 or half the damage taken so that wineglass only needs dc10.

5e's cost free at will spontaneous super hero vrs normal people style nova is a huge problem for some settings that are not overflowing with eleminster types & level 20 nobodies in every facet of society. Very few people have the ability to challenge superman or will to say no even if he somehow rolls -10 on his intimidate check & after he murders someone neither the police nor the army have any realistic chance of even seriously inconveniencing him. PC's very quickly reach that power level in 5e & any attempts by the GM to put their thumb on the scale creates a cascade of problems like those noted throughout the thread.

You dont need to have 6-8 combat encounters in a 4 hour session. You're supposed to have them in the time period between long rests (the adventuring day).

I emphasise this point, seeing as it's been made repeatedly in this thread to no avail.

Seeing as you're using the gritty realism rest variant, this could be a month or more of 'in game' time, and could span several real world game sessions.

If you really must couple 'resource recharge' to the end of the session, simply make the end of every session an automatic Short rest, and every 3rd such rest a Long rest.
Your solution is a fair and effective one. It does rub me the wrong way since decoupling resource recovery that way just seems odd.

For example.

If the current state of affairs is: Travel out and adventure, return to town, rest a week and repeat, if long rests are a week long it makes sense logically, the characters spend the week recovering and resting.

If I make it the end of every other session, then I have to figure out why characters can long rest one week and adventure but can't long rest the other. It is counter-intuitive. If they can rest the first week, why can't they rest the second?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Your solution is a fair and effective one. It does rub me the wrong way since decoupling resource recovery that way just seems odd.
I mentioned how long does it take for luck to recover magical energy is absorbed at variable rates from the environments in a lot of fiction... nodes surge and receed as the environmental mana is hard to predict and is more fluxating when casters are around.

I do not think either hit points or spells or a battlemasters CS for that matter needs tied to actual resting.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Oops you listened at one too many doors and some bug drilled a hole in your head too bad so sad you made a bad choice.... if you cannot teleport to safety... because only casters get to be awesome the rest have to avoid combat because cowardice is the only way to survive and if you arent at constant risk of that your game is just "shoots and ladders" - I mean easy mode.
wow.. it sounds like you had someone actively trying out for the world's most incompetent GM when you were playing ad&d or 3.5. I can remember causing one tpk in all my days gm'ing in those... it was a cursed item that inverted the paladin's alignment (LG to CE). I killed people occasionally, but never because I curbstomped their helpless body a few times as 5e practically requires. even in the handfull of DCC games I played more recently* , the only time we experienced that level of lethality is during a funnel

*one of them got up to like 3 or 4 before the gm interested in running it moved for work & nobody wanted a 40 min commute for it & the game really loses a lot of fun after the funnel silliness with a gaggle of redshirts trying to do things like use 3 coconuts, a goat, a ladder, & a basket ofcabbage to deal with a zombie.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I run a sandbox style West Marches style game where weekly player roster can fluctuate and players meet up in town. The game simply does not support this style of play. There is no realistic way I can have 6-8 combat encounters in a 4 hour session to maintain the needed level of attrition to make the game work, so it is fundamentally broken for my needs.

The same applies to wotc's lovechild known as adventure league. Not all of the games I run are AL, but even in those it's very difficult to fit 6-8 encounters into one 2-4ish hour session if anything but FPS run & gun style play takes place. What am I supposed to do next week when half the table are completely different people or characters, punish them with hp/spell slot/etc deductions because me & the other half the table are running the entire module rather than performing loot runs?

edit: @Garthanos so was I, but we managed to figure it out pretty quick & decided that final fantasy or even some of the ultima games* were a better thing to model our game after than gauntlet. Your group not being able to do similar is not a failing of the system.
* I honestly can't remember many notable console/crpg's that far back well enough to name in any meaningful way

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
There is also the fact that spells & abilities are tuned to be doled out across 6-8 encounters
There is a degree of threat/punishment that characters are going to be assumed to be able to withstand whatever that amount is... The presumption is if your pacing is fewer encounters you need to make them more potent and longer. This has real issues with short rest characters if you go fewer than 3 or 4 a day ... without mechanics like a better configured HS rule. But if you want things to be more deadly and more swingy that shouldn't be a problem. It is a problem for me... but I there are options i can put in which can tackle it.

Last edited:

Remove ads