• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is a sundered Divine Focus useless to a cleric (or druid or ranger or paladin)? Aoo?

Ditch

First Post
My cleric's holy symbol is part of his shield as well, but I always thought it was for decorations! You mean I don't have to present my "actual" holy symbol that I wear around my neck if I have one attached/etched/painted onto the front of my shield and present it at the time of casting/turning??

Drowbane

First Post
1) No cleric worth his "prayer beads" would carry only one Divine Focus! (but if this walking paragon of WISDOM happens to run out of DFs... he is in fact SoL)

2) Only if the Cleric is also holding a readied weapon. :p

RangerWickett said:
I much prefer the wooden stake crossed on the pump handle of a shotgun in From Dusk 'Til Dawn.

hehehe, yeah

Storyteller01

First Post
Ditch said:
My cleric's holy symbol is part of his shield as well, but I always thought it was for decorations! You mean I don't have to present my "actual" holy symbol that I wear around my neck if I have one attached/etched/painted onto the front of my shield and present it at the time of casting/turning??

I've never played it that way. You add the price of the symbol to the shield (gods hate it when you skimp on their goodies). As long as you present a symbol of your faith, it should work.

Unless there's something in the RAW that says otherwise, I don't see a problem with it. I could be wrong though.

frankthedm

First Post
Ditch said:
Actually you need the holy symbol listed in the equipment chapter.

The rules for divine foci are pretty straight forward. If the DM allows other symbols, thats the DM's choice.

Divine Focus (DF)
A divine focus component is an item of spiritual significance. The divine focus for a cleric or a paladin is a holy symbol appropriate to the character’s faith.

If the Components line includes F/DF or M/DF, the arcane version of the spell has a focus component or a material component (the abbreviation before the slash) and the divine version has a divine focus component (the abbreviation after the slash).

Holly and mistletoe — —
Holy symbol, wooden 1 gp —
Holy symbol, silver 25 gp 1 lb.

Holy Symbol, Silver or Wooden
A holy symbol focuses positive energy. A cleric or paladin uses it as the focus for his spells and as a tool for turning undead. Each religion has its own holy symbol.

Unholy Symbols
An unholy symbol is like a holy symbol except that it focuses negative energy and is used by evil clerics (or by neutral clerics who want to cast evil spells or command undead).

Remove ads