• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is D&D 3.5 your first role playing game

Is D&D 3.5 your first experience with a role playing game?

• Yes it is

Votes: 18 3.8%
  • No, I came to it through another non-D&D system.

Votes: 35 7.4%
  • I played previous editions.

Votes: 413 86.8%
  • Something Else (explain below)

Votes: 10 2.1%

Aus_Snow

First Post
Whoa! Check those numbers: grognard central or what? :)

Makes sense I guess, if the average age is somewhere between 20-something and 30-something. What *is* it, anyway?

Me? A taste of Basic, Expert etc. followed by a fair whack of 1e, a dalliance with 2e - some great settings got me in! - now 3e and d20 every which way. All interspersed with multiple completely unrelated systems, on a constant basis.

Whisper72

Explorer
I 'worked my way up' from the red-set basic DnD edition, through 1st, 2nd, 2.5. Didn't play much 3.0 (no group at the time...), then moved into 3.5

The Edge

First Post
Really I started properly with 3.5, but I had played for a while under 3e with a friend. He was unlucky, he started almost right on the release for 3.5 and as a result and being new etc, he got a mix of editions, with the 3e PHB and DMG, but the 3.5 MM. :\

It didn't have a massive impact on the game, but there were the ocassional confuseing bits that clashed we couldn't find in either books. The campain is still running and is now useing odd scraps from both rulesets since I got the 3.5 core books.

Jeff1960

First Post
Started playing with the white box set in 1975. Had to have my best friend's brother drive us halfway across the state to find a "hobby" store that stocked it. Bought the only two copies that they ever ordered.

Finally convinced a local hobby shop (read: model trains and such) to stock D&D so we did not have to drive so far. Towards the end of the 80's, the owner told us that we saved his business from bankruptcy during the lean times because the RPG stuff sold so well.

-Jeff

NiTessine

Explorer
No. Started with MERP, followed that up with stuff like Paranoia and WHFRP, got into AD&D 2E right after the WotC buyout, and been with D&D ever since, with occasional, brief forays into other systems.

Pinotage

Explorer
Aus_Snow said:
Whoa! Check those numbers: grognard central or what? :)

Makes sense I guess, if the average age is somewhere between 20-something and 30-something. What *is* it, anyway?

Link below to the last poll here on ENWorld:

Age Poll

Based on the poll, most of those that responded are about 31.

Pinotage

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
While this poll isn't necessarily representative of the hobby at large, it makes me think that claims of D&D 3.5 brining more new blood into the hobby than any other game past or present may be completely unsubstantiated ad copy. I mean, damn... those numbers on the poll are completely out of whack!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads