• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is D&D Next Open?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Finally, you get the point! The validity of Paizo's choice wasn't the issue. That nobody else is now in Paizo's position is the relevant bit!

Whoops, seems I misread your post that I initially quoted then. When you said "No publisher is in that position now," I thought the operative part of the sentence was "that position," rather than "no publisher."

As the young people say, "my bad." :eek:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
We were thinking about doing some sort of anniversary version of Denizens of Avadnu and statting it for both Pathfinder and D&D Next. Guess I'll just keep that on the back burner for now and see what happens.

Would that be for the original Denizens of Avadnu, or The Complete Book of Denizens? I really enjoyed Legends of Avadnu, and since it's folded into the latter of the two, I hope it'd be that one that was converted over.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Would that be for the original Denizens of Avadnu, or The Complete Book of Denizens? I really enjoyed Legends of Avadnu, and since it's folded into the latter of the two, I hope it'd be that one that was converted over.

Haven't really given it much thought to be honest. It was just something I was thinking about now that I have time on my hands again. Plus, with a new edition around the corner it would seem like a good time. I'm really just trying to get a feel for where everything is at and a lot has changed in the RPG industry the past 4 years.

As far as I'm concerned, The Complete Book of Denizens is the definitive version so if we did anything that would be our inspiration. I doubt we would redo the entire book though. It would probably be a smaller and more manageable product (like Legends of Avadnu) as opposed to a giant 250+ page tome. Just spitballing here. Nothing definitely planned yet.

darjr

I crit!
well... I AM in a similar position as to what I was in at the launch of 4e. I don't have any publishing, nor do I plan to, but the OGL had side benefits that I greatly appreciated as a customer. Many that make me deeply appreciate Paizo's commitment to the OGL.

If they were going to do the OGL it seems pointless to wait for release or even wait this long to make an announcement. Actually I think it's worse than pointless, it's counterproductive.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
well... I AM in a similar position as to what I was in at the launch of 4e. I don't have any publishing, nor do I plan to, but the OGL had side benefits that I greatly appreciated as a customer. Many that make me deeply appreciate Paizo's commitment to the OGL.

Their "commitment" to the OGL? They're publishing a 3e retroclone and so have no choice in the matter. Their only other choice would have been to make their own game, in which case they wouldn't be doing nearly as well.

If they were going to do the OGL it seems pointless to wait for release or even wait this long to make an announcement. Actually I think it's worse than pointless, it's counterproductive.

As a non-publisher, how is it harmful to you? As I and others have said before - some publishers know things that non-publishers (and apparently some publishers who have made no inquiries) do not know. I am not seeing how an announcement to non-publishers would be changing anything. If it is OGL, you as a customer will find out when it is published.

Imaro

Legend
Their "commitment" to the OGL? They're publishing a 3e retroclone and so have no choice in the matter. Their only other choice would have been to make their own game, in which case they wouldn't be doing nearly as well..

I think he's speaking to the amount of open content they've actually created and added to their initial SRD which is something WotC really didn't do... thus his reference to the "commitment" to the OGL they have.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I think he's speaking to the amount of open content they've actually created and added to their initial SRD which is something WotC really didn't do... thus his reference to the "commitment" to the OGL they have.

I think if you put the amount of content WOTC contributed vs the amount Paizo has contributed, you will find they're pretty comparable.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
It will be interesting to see how WotC goes with this.

If they do have a license of some sort, I wonder how many publishers participate. Most (if not all) of the OGL publishers left have either gone Pathfinder, old school, or created their own systems.

Still, since there is no current license, there is really no hurry on WotC's part.

Remove ads